Author Topic: The government wants to take your guns!  (Read 513 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

JN01

• friend
Re: The government wants to take your guns!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 01:13:47 PM »
Sure, restrict service members private firearms, that will solve everything. They would never use their issued duty weapon or any other means to kill themselves.  Years ago, I was stationed in North Carolina where we had a pilot kill himself by activating his ejection seat while inside a hangar.

A better answer might be to encourage mental health treatment and not stigmatize it.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 05:22:40 PM »
Sure, restrict service members private firearms, that will solve everything. They would never use their issued duty weapon or any other means to kill themselves.  Years ago, I was stationed in North Carolina where we had a pilot kill himself by activating his ejection seat while inside a hangar.

A better answer might be to encourage mental health treatment and not stigmatize it.

It's pretty rare for a service member to have their weapon stateside without a fair bit of structure, supervision, and people around to stop them.  There are a whole bunch of other dangerous things we get to play with though.

We encourage mental health treatment pretty well now.  It's wisley available without much trouble.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 09:25:03 PM »

We had a pilot fly his A-10 into the side of a mountain in Colorado on purposeā€¦.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 11:41:59 AM »
We had a pilot fly his A-10 into the side of a mountain in Colorado on purposeā€¦.

I think I remember that crash.  Somewhat recent?  Last 10 years or so?

edit:  1997!??!!?   Damn, my memory sucks.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 11:59:56 AM »
Wasn't there a bit of a furor some years back when the CO of some base wanted all the soldiers under his command to store their guns on base under lock and key, even if they lived off base? And the same for family members they lived with, even if the family members were NOT military themselves?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 04:25:25 PM »
"A better answer might be to encourage mental health treatment and not stigmatize it."

Mental illness is not being stigmatized...it's being celebrated and demanding to be declared normal.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 04:37:54 PM »
Wasn't there a bit of a furor some years back when the CO of some base wanted all the soldiers under his command to store their guns on base under lock and key, even if they lived off base? And the same for family members they lived with, even if the family members were NOT military themselves?
Yeah, I remember that. My base was only slightly less hostile. I only ever used an armory once and that was because I was there with really obvious equipment for shooting matches. For awhile I had a great thing.  Camp Allen, which was the Marine side of Norfolk had a recreational services range. They rented lockers and I had four I think since there was a period that I sold my house and had no new one. So for almost three years I checked on my guns and shot about four nights a week. In general though the military hates firearms.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.