Author Topic: DOJ: "We Don't Need No Stinkin' Gmail Warrant!"  (Read 1687 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
DOJ: "We Don't Need No Stinkin' Gmail Warrant!"
« on: April 07, 2011, 12:16:05 AM »
I don't like this one little bit. Nor Leahy's comment. I mean, gee, I wouldn't want to see the courts burdened to protect my privacy.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/DOJ-To-Congress-We-Shouldnt-paidcontent-4046666426.html?x=0&.v=2
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: DOJ: "We Don't Need No Stinkin' Gmail Warrant!"
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 05:54:37 AM »
"Gonna lay my burden down, down by the riverside."

Has the gentleman from Vermont considered that he will not be able to exempt himself and the rest of Congress from any no-warrant process they arrive at? :police:

I ask that only because we all are aware that the Constitution is merely an irrelevant piece of paper.

I am trying to decide between a bucket of tar, some feathers, and a rail and the simplicity of a length of rope and a convenient streetlamp.

stay safe,
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 07:16:18 AM »
"Gonna lay my burden down, down by the riverside."

Has the gentleman from Vermont considered that he will not be able to exempt himself and the rest of Congress from any no-warrant process they arrive at? :police:

I ask that only because we all are aware that the Constitution is merely an irrelevant piece of paper.

I am trying to decide between a bucket of tar, some feathers, and a rail and the simplicity of a length of rope and a convenient streetlamp.

stay safe,

If it is worth doing, it is worth doing the full "Il Duce."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 02:24:04 PM »
According to a report from CNET, a DOJ lawyer told a Senate committee that if cops are required to get a search warrant to tap into email stored online, it could have an “adverse impact” on investigations. “Speed is essential,” he said. “If Congress slows down the process, this would have real-life consequences, particularly where human life is involved.

Last I checked, that situation would be pretty much a textbook example of the "exigent circumstances" exception recognized in 4th Amendment cases.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 03:55:17 PM »
Last I checked, that situation would be pretty much a textbook example of the "exigent circumstances" exception recognized in 4th Amendment cases.

Bad, Bad, Bad KD5NRH.  :police:  Only concern yourself with what .gov wants not what is already provided in that "pesky" Constitution/Bill of Rights.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 03:40:11 AM »
The chairman of the committee, Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), seemed sympathetic to the DOJ position, saying that requiring warrants every time a cop needs to get emails as part of an investigation could be burdensome on courts.

What burdensome? 

"Sorry to wake you, judgie.  Here, sign this warrant."

"OK." Takes rubber stamp out of desk, stamps signature, hands it back.  "What was it for?"

"Oh, don't worry about that.  Say, wouldn't it be less of a burden if you just gave us the rubber stamp?"

"Hey, sure.  Here ya go."

"Thanks, judgie.  Have a nice nap."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.