Author Topic: Oregonians may have to pump their own gas  (Read 3977 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Oregonians may have to pump their own gas
« on: January 03, 2018, 12:39:18 AM »
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Oregon-gas-pump-law-reaction-social-media-outrage-12469097.php

"Many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas and the hazards of not doing it correctly. Besides I don't want to go to work smelling of gas when I get it on my hands or clothes," wrote Tina Good.

Mike Perrone said he's been living in Oregon his whole life and refuses to pump his own gas. The reason?

"I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it."

Had to make sure it wasn't The Onion
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Oregonians may have to pump their own gas
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 12:49:15 AM »
I don't think I've seen a gas station where an "attendant" pumped gas for the customers in more than 20 years -- except in New Jersey, where it's illegal to pump your own. Even my wife managed to learn, and she came from a country where only attendants pump the gas.

When I was in my teens and 20s and we still had stations with attendants, I preferred to pump my own anyway. That way I knew I was getting a full tank, and I didn't have to worry about the attendant sloshing gas on the paint of my ride.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 01:34:35 AM »
The worst thing about this bill is it only affects counties with under 40,000 residents. My county has almost 100,000.  :'(

As a side note, you can pump your own gas if you drive a diesel or a motorcycle. The rest of us are *expletive deleted*ed. Even if the attendants are on the ball, you're likely to end up waiting quite a while if the station is even a little busy.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 01:37:57 AM »
PEOPLE WILL DIE THIS IS LITERALY THE HOLOCAUST!!1!

I remember self-service and full service pumps but I don't think I've ever had anyone pump my gas for me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 02:11:52 AM »
I hate my state sometimes..............  Not because we might be able to pump our own gas (only in some very low population counties, BTW) but because PEOPLE IN MY STATE ARE WIMPS!!!!!!!
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 06:57:49 AM »
"which allows people who live in counties with 40,000 residents or less to pump their own gas."

The reporter and editor both need a remedial grammar lesson.

Delivered with a large stick.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 09:50:14 AM »
"which allows people who live in counties with 40,000 residents or less to pump their own gas."

The reporter and editor both need a remedial grammar lesson.

Delivered with a large stick.

That's presuming there might have been an editor involved. My sense is that copy editors are a lost breed at most newsrooms these days. At least around here, most of the so-called "reporters" seem to be part-time stringers who submit their stories electronically, and they go directly from submission to page layout. Newspapers today can't afford such luxuries as copy editors and fact checkers. I doubt the "reporters" are physically present in the newsroom more than once or twice a month -- if that.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 10:10:44 AM »
I still buy my fuel at a full service station. They pump gas, wash your windshield, and will even check your oil or tires if you request it.
and the gas is the same price as every other fuel stop in town. After 8 or 9 pm the pumps are self serve and the shop is closed.
small town in rural NW Illinois
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 10:16:43 AM »
While I adapt to someone else pumping my gas in OR, I have never been able to figure out if it's okay for me to get out of my car and wash my windshield.  :laugh:

At some of the stations they'll do it, and at others they don't (maybe it depends on how busy they are). I remember getting the evil eye from an attendant in Ashland when he walked away after putting the nozzle in the tank. I got out and grabbed the squeegee after it looked like he wasn't coming back.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 11:54:44 AM »
I was wondering if the gas pumpers were allowed to walk away or if they had to actually stay close by to monitor it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 02:30:44 PM »
"I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it."

I'm thinking if you aren't bright enough to safely handle a gas pump you probably shouldn't be driving on roads with other people.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 03:40:15 PM »
I really do not understand how a grown person with a driver's license can possibly be unable to pump their own gas.

Seriously, it's like the easiest car related task there is.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 04:37:30 PM »
"Many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas and the hazards of not doing it correctly. Besides I don't want to go to work smelling of gas when I get it on my hands or clothes," wrote Tina Good.

If you can't pump gas without smelling like gas and getting it on your hands and clothes, I don't want to be around you after you pee.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 04:55:35 PM »
Regolith and AmbulanceDriver,

Real question here...are there credit card readers at each pump for the attendant to swipe or do you have to wait for them to take the credit card to a central reader?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 05:00:11 PM »
Regolith and AmbulanceDriver,

Real question here...are there credit card readers at each pump for the attendant to swipe or do you have to wait for them to take the credit card to a central reader?

I'm not either of those guys, but I've always just handed my cc to the pump monkey. They run it at the pump reader and hand it right back. They have always asked if I want a receipt.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 05:03:01 PM »
I'm not either of those guys, but I've always just handed my cc to the pump monkey. They run it at the pump reader and hand it right back. They have always asked if I want a receipt.

Okay, just wondering if the card reader per dispenser had made it way out there.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 05:06:15 PM »
Same here. But more often I get out and swipe my own card. My wife just hands it over. Never had an issue.
The pump display asks to choose pay outside w credit/debit, pay cash, pay inside.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 05:30:45 PM »
Judging by the comments, you would think people have to open and close valves and run a hand crank to get gas.  Hell, my truck doesn't even have a gas cap.  Just open the cover, throw the nozzle in, and squeeze the handle.  I guess it is a case of ignorance breeding fear.

I do remember way back when there was no auto shut off and you had to listen for when it sounded like it was filling up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 05:31:12 PM »
Same here. But more often I get out and swipe my own card. My wife just hands it over. Never had an issue.
The pump display asks to choose pay outside w credit/debit, pay cash, pay inside.

I've actually always been curious on if there are stats on credit, or more likely debit card fraud at gas stations in OR versus other parts of the country, given that handing the card over is pretty common, and some of those pump people look really sketchy.

Some of them look clean and professional as well, but it seems like there are plenty of, "If I didn't have this job I'd be in jail" type people (which I guess was one of the reasons for implementing the full service thing). At least from my "traveler" perspective. The OR residents may have better info.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »
The other question, for me at least, is whether these people have ever left Oregon.  The last full service station I remember using must have been at least 16 years ago, and I don't remember even seeing one since.  What do they do if they run out of gas anywhere in the real world?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 06:21:15 PM »
The only full service place I remember was Buddy Walker and his Oak Hill Shell station. Which was only notable because the owner pumped your gas and did it with his ever present cigar in his mouth. Even at 5 I knew something was a bit sketchy. They don't even stand out from the little bit I have been in Jersey, probably so far down my list of hate. It's a nice state if no people are in it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 06:41:57 PM »
I really do not understand how a grown person with a driver's license can possibly be unable to pump their own gas.

Seriously, it's like the easiest car related task there is.

Youtube begs to differ:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=car+starts+fire+at+gas+station

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj4Gk91NQ08

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 07:05:27 PM »
Youtube begs to differ:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=car+starts+fire+at+gas+station

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj4Gk91NQ08

Well, nobodies blown up any gas stations around here that I remember...

Almost a pity, really. Think of how exciting life would be if you had gas stations blowing up all the time.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 08:20:46 PM »
Do away with ALL the laws restricting who can fuel a gas or diesel car or truck and let the gas stations decide  to charge more per gallon for "full service" or you pump it yourself like we do here in Louisiana. "Full Service" stations ARE rare but they DO exist and for us gimpy/old types, the extra cost is worth it. Many "Self Serve" stations DO offer to pump fuel for the disabled too.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 10:43:06 PM »
Many "Self Serve" stations DO offer to pump fuel for the disabled too.

That's been my experience, pretty much all of them do, as long as you hit them up when they have employees there.

On the videos -

The couple I watched showed the people yanking the still pumping nozzle out of the car. 

Seems stupid to me, though understandable in a panic.  My calm self says 'leave it IN the car, but trigger the release so it stops pumping'.

My reasoning is fairly simple. 

As long as the nozzle is in the car, it's blocking most of the path down to the tank of gasoline.  If I pull it out, I'm spreading liquid gasoline around a fire, on my car/truck and down to the ground, all in the open with plenty of air.

The flame won't go too far down the line to the gas tank simply because if I'm fueling, I probably have a pretty full tank by the time of the incident and the fire will run out of O2 as it moves down, even if there isn't a flame arrester, which I figure there is.