Author Topic: Sell raw water in Silicon Valley for big money  (Read 3567 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Sell raw water in Silicon Valley for big money
« on: January 03, 2018, 12:31:21 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/silicon-valley-raw-water-obsession-2018-1

$ 61 for 2.5 gallons of 'raw water' in a glass dispensing jug.  As far as I can tell, 'raw water' is pretty much what I get from my well.  Maybe it is time to load up the Tacoma and make a road trip to southern California.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Sell raw water in Silicon Valley for big money
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 12:35:24 PM »
At one of my gun clubs the well is high in iron and smells like burnt sulfur. I bet I can get a premium for it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 12:46:54 PM »
I already noticed a similar trend with some RO systems. First you take everything out of the water, then you have the option of an additional filter that adds some of the TDS back in.

Coincidentally, my house well was starting to get too spotty on water, so the new one was drilled yesterday. The current well tests were actually coming back quite clean other than around 600ppm TDS and nitrates in the 40ppm range. Everything else was as good or better than sample lab tests I've seen for bottled water.

The new well is the same depth as my ag well (400' - current house well is at 150'), and the ag well water is just about perfect for the "raw water" craze, with around 50 ppm TDS. I was using an RO system with the current well, but probably won't do that anymore with the new one (given the lab results come back as good as the ag well). Probably just pour it straight into my Berkey filter dispenser.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 01:11:49 PM »
""I'm extreme about health, I know, but I'm not alone with this," Evans said. "There are a lot of people doing this with me. You never know who you'll run into at the spring."

Well, after all, giardia, e coli and fecal coliform are all natural!

And, they have the added benefit of providing an ultrasonic colonic cleanse...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 01:14:03 PM »
At one of my gun clubs the well is high in iron and smells like burnt sulfur. I bet I can get a premium for it.

Friend of mine grew up with a well on the tip of "Ironstone Ridge."

It was VERY appropriately named.

If the water softener went out, every fixture in the house turned rust orange within 3 days.

The whole area through there was appropriately named because of the iron shale deposits. Some of them were so rich that they were surface mined during the Civil War.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 02:03:46 PM »

If the water softener went out, every fixture in the house turned rust orange within 3 days.

That describes most of NH.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 02:40:11 PM »
I have iron bacteria coming out of iron shale. I often drive up the road near my old house and get water from a piped spring coming out of limestone.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 03:59:10 PM »

"New, Improved Feedlot Runoff !  All Natural ! Contains Essential Minerals ! "

:rofl:

Had a shallow well tested at my old farm.  Submitted test, got the report back in the mail on a Friday night.  (Regular domestic well was OK.)

Bacteria count:  "TNTC"

Drove me nuts all weekend thinking / worrying about what the hell that meant.  [tinfoil] ???

Called Monday AM.  "Too Numerous To Count."

Oh.   :facepalm:  =D

Duhrry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 04:57:17 PM »
I say let them drink it up, especially with all the free range microbes in the water.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 04:57:31 PM »
"New, Improved Feedlot Runoff !  All Natural ! Contains Essential Minerals ! "

Had a shallow well tested at my old farm.  Submitted test, got the report back in the mail on a Friday night.  (Regular domestic well was OK.)

Bacteria count:  "TNTC"

Drove me nuts all weekend thinking / worrying about what the hell that meant.  [tinfoil] ???

Called Monday AM.  "Too Numerous To Count."

Oh.   :facepalm:  =D

Duhrry, 230RN

Can you shock the well with Bleach or it in the ground water and not the pump and casing?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 05:56:45 PM »
I still occasionally fill up a couple jugs from mom's well, before the softener.  I grew up on deep well water, so the city stuff doesn't taste like water to me.

OTOH, actually paying more than maybe a buck a quart for good water is just plain dumb.  I need a truck and a tanker trailer.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 06:28:03 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/silicon-valley-raw-water-obsession-2018-1

$ 61 for 2.5 gallons of 'raw water' in a glass dispensing jug.  As far as I can tell, 'raw water' is pretty much what I get from my well.  Maybe it is time to load up the Tacoma and make a road trip to southern California.

How does that old saw go?  Something like "A fool and his money...."

I'll take treated unraw water every time over a case of amebic dysentery or cholera.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 07:37:13 PM »
"You can't stop consenting adults from being stupid," Marler said. "But, we should at least try."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/silicon-valley-elites-are-spending-dollar37-for-less-than-3-gallons-of-dangerous-unfiltered-water-%E2%80%94-and-its-flying-off-the-shelves/ar-BBHNk4w?li=BBnbfcL

Nahhh, let'em be stupid.  These are the same dipsh*ts who would drive up to Mendo County to attend the Living Light expo and eat food prepared by "raw food chefs".

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 08:07:59 PM »

Sending shallow well (first Paluxy) water samples from around here is likely banned by numerous treaties as biological and chemical warfare.  The iron content is high enough, though, that I think a big electromagnet might just pull it right up through the surface.

On the other hand, shoot down 350+ feet to the Trinity aquifer in the Hensell sand formation, and it's good water.  Hell on plumbing, but it's a lot of calcium, (and I mean "boil the shower head in vinegar twice a month" levels - but even my crappy teeth were rock solid growing up on that water) magnesium and potassium, but with surprisingly little iron or sulfur.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 12:40:48 AM »
Can you shock the well with Bleach or it in the ground water and not the pump and casing?
Not clear on what you're asking.  (I know what shocking a well means.)

That TNTC well was right by the back door and kitchen of the house. It was apparently the original hand-dug hand-pump well from when the house was first built and apparently went bad with all the animals around.  (I guess that's when they had the 75 foot good well drilled on the other side of the house.)  It was only about 12 feet deep, maybe 15.  I put a cover on it and set a pump from a the local "junk store" on the platform and used it for garden watering.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 12:50:36 AM »
Sending shallow well (first Paluxy) water samples from around here is likely banned by numerous treaties as biological and chemical warfare.  The iron content is high enough, though, that I think a big electromagnet might just pull it right up through the surface.

...On the other hand, shoot down 350+ feet to the Trinity aquifer in the Hensell sand formation, and it's good water.  Hell on plumbing, but it's a lot of calcium, (and I mean "boil the shower head in vinegar twice a month" levels - but even my crappy teeth were rock solid growing up on that water) magnesium and potassium, but with surprisingly little iron or sulfur.

Boulder, Colorado city water was very good.  Sort of melted directly off a nice pristine glacier (the Arapahoe Glacier) and piped to your faucet.  

The only impurities were from dead elk and deer and back-country skiers caught in avalanches.

The glacier:

Pic credit in comments at
http://www.summitpost.org/north-arapaho-peak-and-arapaho-glacier/558974  Don't know if it's copyrighted, but that photographer deserves a nod.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:17:05 AM by 230RN »

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 07:14:48 AM »
my son just had a new well drilled  The water has been tested, and found to be just perfect.  205 feet through Limestone, into the Floridan Aquifer.  The natural pressure is such that he does not need to run a pump.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 07:25:15 AM »

No, you don't want to do that...

You'll just piss off the heartier ones that survive, and you're in for a world of hurt when they enact their nefarious revenge plot.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 09:32:06 AM »
The driller hit my well with a gallon of chlorine yesterday to prep for air blowing today. Apparently PVC pipe also helps a lot with water purity. The old well is ~35 years old and uses steel. The driller told me these days >95% of small diameter domestic wells are PVC. We still use steel on the ag wells, mostly because of the large diameter that allows robot welders down the pipe to repair potential breaks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »
Our water comes from the Ohio River.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 10:56:21 AM »

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 10:58:49 AM »
I have an artificial Duck pond that I have to empty every now and then. I wonder how much they would pay for that water. It’s Organic, All Natural, Non GMO Duck Water even!

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 12:21:57 PM »

That's about it...actually we have very good water.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 12:23:01 PM »

Seems to me Wife1 and I stopped in a restaurant near some college campus in Ohio to have dinner, and the water they served was utterly awful.

And I hate the word "utterly," so you know that was baaaaad water.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 04:05:06 PM »
Lake Michigan water since the late 1990's. 

Before that it was well iron water.  (In that it was more Iron then water).   Everyone had water softners for the house, In home Water coolers to drink from.  Still had to hit the sinks, toilets and tubs with muratic acid as they always brown. 

Now, you can drink from the tap.* Sinks, tubs, and toilets are cleaned with regular cleaners, so no risk of serious chemical burns.

*- The Water Quality Reports from our water commission shows that our tap water is more pure then most bottled waters.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.