Author Topic: Andromeda  (Read 1709 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Andromeda
« on: January 05, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »
Have any of you watched this sci-fi series? I didn't watch it when it forst came out in 2000. I can't remember the reason, but I remember it was something stupid of the "boycott" type,  I think because of something Majel Barrrett said or did, I think ripping something off my favorite sci-fi series of the time, Babylon 5.

Anyway, It's on Amazon, so I decided to give it a try, and dogonit if it's not bad at all. I find it an equivalent quality to the various Stargate series. They also have a really cool sci-fi concept weapon - the High Guard Force Lance, which might be one of the coolest future weapons I have ever seen in a sci-fi series, film, or book. It's everything from an energy weapon, to a melee weapon, to a remote anti-artillery weapon, to more.

The bummer is that there are only two of the five seasons available for streaming. Netflix has the DVDs, but infuriatingly, season 3 is not available. I don't understand why the seasons on either side of it are available, but it is not. I'll be done with season 2 in a couple of days, then I'm stuck waiting if I don't want to jump continuity. Dammit.

Anyways, I think it's a worthwhile series to check out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Andromeda
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:06:20 AM »
It's on Amazon now!?

Woohoo! It's a fun little show. Among the things I enjoyed was that the ships were sentient and had emotions, even. One of the amusing things is that Gene Roddenberry's original idea for the show got shoved aside and it basically became "Hercules in Space".

I didn't get to see the last seasons, so I'll have to keep an eye out. (Maybe the dvds will get down to a reasonable amount. Last I saw it was over $120 for the series. I didn't like the series that much.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 10:53:08 AM »
I watched it for awhile,  about 2 seasons in there was some major change in the storyline ..... I seem to recall it had something to do with an alternate universe  .... I lost interest and stopped watching.  The early episodes were interesting, though.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 11:04:23 AM »

I didn't get to see the last seasons, so I'll have to keep an eye out. (Maybe the dvds will get down to a reasonable amount. Last I saw it was over $120 for the series. I didn't like the series that much.)

Yeah, I was thinking about buying the DVDs when I saw season 3 was not available for rent, but it would have to be half that price for me to consider it.

Especially considering what Tommy said about the later seasons. The first two seasons have been neat. I'll be disappointed if 3-5 go down the drain.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 03:58:58 PM »
I think I have that whole series on my "movies and shows to deploy with" hard drive.

I'm on vacation this week. PM me next week and I'll see if I have it, and either put it in Dropbox, or send you a usb drive with the whole thing.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 04:09:20 PM »
I think I have that whole series on my "movies and shows to deploy with" hard drive.

I'm on vacation this week. PM me next week and I'll see if I have it, and either put it in Dropbox, or send you a usb drive with the whole thing.

You rock!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 10:26:49 PM »
The purple girl was easy on the eyes.
I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 11:57:45 PM »
The purple girl was easy on the eyes.

I thought she was green ..... but I also thought that was STAR TREK.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 01:05:11 AM »
Trance Gemini (on Andromeda, I have no idea what race she was) was purple... until she wasn't.    That's when the series jumped the shark, IMHO.  

Orion Slave Girls (the Star Trek universe) were green.  I can kinda see how you'd get then confused.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:04:43 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 10:06:29 AM »
Trance Gemini (on Andromeda, I have no idea what race she was) was purple... until she wasn't.   

She was also some piece of tail (until she wasn't).  =D

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »
She was also some piece of tail (until she wasn't).  =D

Yeah, I didn't mention that cuz I thought it might be a spoiler.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 09:25:23 PM »
Oddly, I just discovered I could get the Comet broadcasting network over the air (OTA) and it was on that (OTA Channel 2.3 in Denver) this afternoon. That channel did not come up the last time I scanned them.

I don't know where in the series this show was.  From the listing:

Andromeda Twilight of the Idols
Dylan and the crew set out to find a colony that disappeared.
(TVPG) Sci-Fi
KWGN-TV3 (Ch:2-3) 3:00 pm (60 Mins)

I liked the idea of the ship itself having a personality, and I always liked Kevin Sorbo's acting style*, so I left it on, watching it (as usual with TV) sort of out of the corner of my ear.  I liked the way the details of the strategies involved were presented.

All in all, not bad.

Did not notice any purple people "out of the corner of my ear."  That's my usual mode of TV-watching.  I do other stuff with an occasional glance at the thing.  I can "catch" most of what's going on just from the dialogue.

The sets seemed to be pretty good, too.

You do know, of course, of course, that all you have to do to go OTA is unplug your set from your cable connection or whatever, set the set for antenna reception, and hook a length of wire to that connector.  You can buy a designed antenna for OTA, but you can get some good reception with just a random wire.

Terry

*Even though he mostly does B-type roles.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:50:41 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 10:25:36 PM »
Oddly, I just discovered I could get the Comet broadcasting network over the air (OTA) and it was on that (OTA Channel 2.3 in Denver) this afternoon. That channel did not come up the last time I scanned them.
[snip]
You do know, of course, of course, that all you have to do to go OTA is unplug your set from your cable connection or whatever, set the set for antenna reception, and hook a length of wire to that connector.  You can buy a designed antenna for OTA, but you can get some good reception with just a random wire.

Here's the one I plan to use. 
https://web.archive.org/web/20150213010757/http://www.diytvantennas.com/sbgh.php

The link disappeared on me, but the wayback machine saves the day again.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 11:03:48 PM »
Actually, I've heard good reports about that one. 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.