Author Topic: Why I am hating my favorite gun company...  (Read 5675 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Why I am hating my favorite gun company...
« on: January 08, 2018, 10:09:46 PM »
I'm a SIG fanboy.  I admit it.  I recognize other companies make some better guns, but I'm just a huge fan of SIG, mainly the classic DA autos.  A couple of years ago, I complained that SIG had dropped the P232 line of pistols, and in less than a year, I couldn't get parts.  (thread is here: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=50701.0

So today, I'm helping security guys with some research.  New hire needs a .40, so I look up the SIG website to look at P320 options.  Notice the web site has a list of handgun model numbers across the top, and I notice the P239 isn't there.  Start to dig around, and find out that SIg dropped the P239 in October, 2017.  I'm in need of a couple of mags for my P239 in .40, so I begin searching immediately.  SIG store?  Nope.  Midway?  Nope.  Brownells?  Nope.  Mike Irwin suggested a site he'd had success finding unusual mags on... Nope.  So, here I am, three months after SIG dropped the pistol, and my only source of mags is Gunbroker, where I'm sure I'll pay exorbitant prices.  Gee, thanks a lot SIG.  A$$holes.  Maybe they're followingthe H&K model, and hating their customers...

I should go back to revolvers, or maybe just get a 1911, so I can find mags and parts anywhere on the planet...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Why I am hating my favorite gun company...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:19:32 PM »
Interesting.  I have a P245.  Probably an orphan gun too by now.  Good thing it's super durable.
Formerly sumpnz

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 10:22:36 PM »
Repeat after me:

"I will always stockpile magazines for every new gun I get immediately following purchase."

This is one of those golden rules I've learned from my Dad.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:26:41 PM »
I know carrying mainstream guns isn't as sexy, but it's nice to know that I could replace my carry piece at 95% of gun shops and get parts, holsters, and magazines wherever I look.

Also makes it affordable to have dozens of magazines.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 10:30:45 PM »
Repeat after me:

"I will always stockpile magazines for every new gun I get immediately following purchase."

This is one of those golden rules I've learned from my Dad.

My gun will take P220 mags.  Since that's still in production I should be OK for that.  And, IIRC, the P220 Carry should use the same barrel, recoil spring, etc as the P245. 
Formerly sumpnz

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 10:32:27 PM »
I know carrying mainstream guns isn't as sexy, but it's nice to know that I could replace my carry piece at 95% of gun shops and get parts, holsters, and magazines wherever I look.

Also makes it affordable to have dozens of magazines.

Not really poking fun at you or anything... But I don't really think of Sig as being not mainstream...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 10:36:25 PM »
My gun will take P220 mags.  Since that's still in production I should be OK for that.  And, IIRC, the P220 Carry should use the same barrel, recoil spring, etc as the P245. 

*shrug* I still think you should stockpile. Even Glock mags and such (and those aren't going anywhere anytime soon) Mind you, stockpile # based on what you intend for the gun. Safe queens and specialty guns don't need as much, but it doesn't hurt to have a pile of magazines for every gun in your safe. Cuts down on reloading time at the range, adds value if you sell and avoids Chris's issue.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 10:40:18 PM »
Because someone has to do it, so I'll get it over with-

This is why you shoulda bought a Glock!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 11:39:07 PM »
Because someone has to do it, so I'll get it over with-

This is why you shoulda bought a Glock 1911!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

FTFY  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 11:47:17 PM »
I should go back to revolvers,

But then you'll need to find revolver magazines and you know how hard that is?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 12:12:48 AM »
I think I have 9 magazines for my SIG P227.   I couldn't tell you how many 1911 mags I have.  I have a few that I KNOW are bad that I keep mixed in with the range ones (and not the carry ones), simply so I can practice failure drills when practicing.

Magazines ARE wear items.

P.S.  I like SIG's but the P232 looks like something that would be sidearm used in a cheap sci-fi Star Trek type rip-off.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 05:57:46 AM »
Not really poking fun at you or anything... But I don't really think of Sig as being not mainstream...
If we were talking about the P320, P226 or something else with a significant adoption, wide user base, and active aftermarket then sure. Since we are specifically talking about guns that are now so unsupported by the manufacturer that you can’t even get new factory or quality aftermarket magazines, I would call it something other than mainstream.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 06:36:23 AM »
Sorry gunmagwarehouse didn't work out. When I looked last night it appeared that they had them in stock.

Maybe you should carry one of these?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 08:27:01 AM »
What are the requirements?  If caliber is the only restriction, he really should look at glock or S&W M&P series.  Neither company is known for doing that to customers.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 09:39:01 AM »
Glock usually does have less expensive magazines.  And the G22 is on the lower end of recoil for 40 S&W pistols IMO.  

I had a P229 a while back.  It was a nice pistol, but I didn't feel it was any better of shooter than my G22 and felt it was less reliable.  My experience with the P series Sig pistols is they didn't do much for me.  I know others really like them.  

I might suggest looking at the CZ 75 SP01 pistols, but the mags are not cheap.  The only 40 S&W CZ I have is a P06.  It is a good pistol, but only a 10 round mag.  Which makes me think I need to pull that out and shoot it this weekend.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 09:52:25 AM »
So SIG is kind of like Walther - discontinue spare parts quickly after discontinuing a gun. 

Good to know.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 10:09:18 AM »
Okay, let's make this clear.  Yes, I have a Glock 19, and probably 10 mags for that.  So, I'm not a complete idiot.   :lol:

The P239 is a first generation P239 SAS.  It's the one with the wood grips...  https://www.google.com/search?q=sig+p239+sas+gen+1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiN1Kytk8vYAhUqw4MKHbPwCKoQ_AUICygC&biw=1680&bih=959

The looks drew me in, but then I found I liked how it shot.  I had four mags, but someone broke into my car last summer and stole a bag that had two of my mags in it.  I wasn't carrying the P239 at that time (it was J-frame season), so I put off buying new mags.  Got money freed up recently, and then found out it's discontinued.  It's just twice now that I've bought a SIG, only to have it discontinued and the parts/mags go away really quick.  And, I'm frankly disappointed, as I wouldn't expect that out of a major player.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 10:29:59 AM »
^ "J-frame season."

Like. :D  Steal.  >:D

That is all.

Please continue.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 10:31:10 AM »
Triple K $51.00

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 10:48:19 AM »
"it was J-frame season"

When is it NOT J frame season? :)

2 of my 4 primary carry guns are J frames.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 11:15:26 AM »
Okay, let's make this clear.  Yes, I have a Glock 19, and probably 10 mags for that.  So, I'm not a complete idiot.   :lol:

The P239 is a first generation P239 SAS.  It's the one with the wood grips...  https://www.google.com/search?q=sig+p239+sas+gen+1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiN1Kytk8vYAhUqw4MKHbPwCKoQ_AUICygC&biw=1680&bih=959

The looks drew me in, but then I found I liked how it shot.  I had four mags, but someone broke into my car last summer and stole a bag that had two of my mags in it.  I wasn't carrying the P239 at that time (it was J-frame season), so I put off buying new mags.  Got money freed up recently, and then found out it's discontinued.  It's just twice now that I've bought a SIG, only to have it discontinued and the parts/mags go away really quick.  And, I'm frankly disappointed, as I wouldn't expect that out of a major player.

Let me know what gun you plan on buying next so I can stock up on mags before they discontinue it.  :P :P :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 12:55:47 PM »
Let me know what gun you plan on buying next so I can stock up on mags before they discontinue it.  :P :P :P

Well, if I manage to stay off smoking, my next buy will either be an AR of some type, or I may go with a 1911 in honor of my grandfather.  Doubt either of those is going belly up in my lifetime.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 01:22:22 PM »
Well, if I manage to stay off smoking, my next buy will either be an AR of some type, or I may go with a 1911 in honor of my grandfather.  Doubt either of those is going belly up in my lifetime.

1911s are obsolete and ARs are just a fad.   :-*
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden