Author Topic: leave your cane!  (Read 788 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
leave your cane!
« on: April 25, 2011, 05:59:35 PM »
http://www.evesun.com/news/stories/2011-04-25/12019/VA-bans-vets-gun-shaped-walking-stick-from-Syracuse-hospital/

the va told this vet to leave hit his cane home.  evidently he has carved a realistic scale model of a m-16 for use as a cane.  seems to me he should be able to use a real gun if he chose to.  NY is fairly lenient on long guns (non-assault), so why should a carving cause problems?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: leave your cane!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 06:25:12 PM »
To introduce a realistic looking M-16 rifle or any such weapon facsimile has the potential to be disruptive to our health care mission. The sight of such an object may not be readily explainable to our veteran clientele and thus could unnecessarily raise their anxiety level. We chose to take a prudent and common sense approach when faced with a decision of being proactive with respect to limiting the introduction of such potential disruptive factors into our care environment

Bwahahahahaha!

LOLROFHICGU!*

To think that any vet would think that a wooden M-16, carried muzzle-down, would pose any sort of threat, is ludicrous in the extreme.  Security theater  strikes again.

stay safe.

*laugh out loud, roll on floor, help I can't get up!
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 07:33:27 PM »
That's... horrible. I've been asked to not carry my nicer cane into certain doctor's offices, etc., for the same reason - "it's threatening, could be a weapon" and so forth.

It's just a nice cast metal lion on a black hardwood shaft. Whiners....
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 08:03:46 PM »
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing this is more out of consideration for those patients suffering from combat related mental or emotional issues, rather than security. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 08:08:14 PM »
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing this is more out of consideration for those patients suffering from combat related mental or emotional issues, rather than security. 

I partially agree...but I'm sure it was for the security theater as well....besides, we wouldn't want the VA Cops to drop their donuts in shock, would we?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.