Author Topic: TV Madness?  (Read 970 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
TV Madness?
« on: October 12, 2022, 06:30:45 AM »
My wife's other aunt, not the one we live with, is in her 70s or early 80s, watches baseball with the sound off, in a room where the TV is 15' - 20' from her. Friday I took her to Worst (Best) Buy to get her a new TV. What was delivered and I set up for her yesterday:

Samsung - 55” Class Q80B QLED 4K Smart Tizen TV
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-q80b-qled-4k-smart-tizen-tv/6503083.p?skuId=6503083

Samsung - HW-Q600B/ZA 3.1.2ch Soundbar with Dolby Atmos / DTS:X - Black
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-hw-q600b-za-3-1-2ch-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos-dtsx-black/6505160.p?skuId=6505160

This pair is phenomenal! The picture and sound kick Major butt! SO much carp to setup, register, pair, plug in! Took me half a day but I whupped it. It has SO many features that she will NEVER use. Maybe I will inherit it before I get completely senile...
:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: TV Madness?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 08:23:53 AM »
Those QLEDs are incredible.

Friends of mine bought a new house a couple of years ago and went 72" or something like that. The picture is so vivid that there are times when it looks three dimensional.

I was watching an episode of Magnum PI on it and I realized that I could read the titles of the books that were on Higgins' desk.

I'm getting very close to getting a new TV. My 2008 Samsung is having more and more problems starting up.

I'm looking at a 7 series in the 65" range. Incredibly, that's only $500...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 08:42:28 AM »
I've had the 55" QLED for around four years now. It really is a great picture. The one downside to both the Samsungs that I've owned is that the stupid built in smart menu (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.) is ALWAYS problematic. Using Youtube TV off the Samsung menu, it's always stalling to load or else when a show is running, it will freeze up and buffer as if I'm having bandwidth issues. If I run it through my Roku, everything works fine. So I run all that stuff through the Roku, and it's likely more secure as well. I have the Roku running through a wired connection. The one thing with the smart TVs is you really have to go through the menu to turn off the "convenient, but we're spying on you" stuff.

I have a pretty big 2022 Costco reward that I haven't gotten around to using yet and that expires in DEC. I'm probably going to use it towards the series 8 65" NEO QLED now that the series 9s have been out for a while and the 8s are dropping in price. That's about the biggest TV I can put at the good TV spot in the living room, otherwise I would have gone 75". The 55" one will go upstairs to the bonus room, which I have slowly been turning into a game/arcade room.

HH - how are you  liking the Samsung soundbar? I'm thinking of getting one with the new TV. My current TV actually does really good sound, but I don't have the good onboard options for tweaking sound so that I can prioritize speech range over music in movies and stuff where they make the dramatic music so loud that I can't understand what anyone is saying.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 11:49:46 AM »
I've had the 55" QLED for around four years now. It really is a great picture. The one downside to both the Samsungs that I've owned is that the stupid built in smart menu (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.) is ALWAYS problematic...

HH - how are you  liking the Samsung soundbar?

We are on Comcast/Xfinity and all those are built into the Xfinity DVR interface so we don't have to get into the convoluted Samsung interface.

The Soundbar: Sounds great! There is EQ built into either the TV or Soundbar that handles those issues, also built in compression so the commercials don't blow you out etc. Kinda flattens out the extreme loud parts and boosts the extreme lows parts.
It's connected by an HDMI e/ARC (HDMI 2.1) cable to the TV and to the wall for power. The Subwoofer is connected by Bluetooth and only has a power cable.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 02:00:12 PM »
SO much carp to setup, register, pair, plug in!

You're telling me TVs come with fish now?   :O

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 02:27:08 PM »
I spent a lot of time researching before I bought my new TV last year and am very happy with my Vizio P-series and matching Atmos sound bar.  It got consistantly better ratings than the Sony's, LG's, or Samsung's in it's price range.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 05:20:11 PM »
I'd say my TV is well on its way out. I need to make a decision soon.

At first, every once in awhile, it wouldn't start up correctly and would automatically restart.

That slowly became more common.

Now it's not only failing to start correctly once, it's often doing it two or three times in a row.

I'm afraid before too long it simply won't start at all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 07:23:20 PM »
I'd say my TV is well on its way out. I need to make a decision soon.

At first, every once in awhile, it wouldn't start up correctly and would automatically restart.

That slowly became more common.

Now it's not only failing to start correctly once, it's often doing it two or three times in a row.

I'm afraid before too long it simply won't start at all.

Sounds like the power supply is giving up.  The symptoms match pretty well.  Probably cheap Chinese capacitors, swollen and out of spec after a few years of use.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 07:43:19 AM »
I'm not sure if it's the power supply or not, but I wouldn't be surprised given that it's just about 14 years old.

The symptoms are, on start up, the screen comes on highly pixilated in, oddly enough, red, green, and white. It's almost like a candy cane snowstorm.

Sometimes you can see the a ghost outline of the program (people moving around and the like) before it goes into restart mode.

Sometimes it makes an extremely loud screeching noise, sometimes it's silent.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 08:00:41 AM »
. . . Sometimes it makes an extremely loud screeching noise, sometimes it's silent.
Switch away from The View before you turn it off.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 09:29:20 AM »
I'm not sure if it's the power supply or not, but I wouldn't be surprised given that it's just about 14 years old.

The symptoms are, on start up, the screen comes on highly pixilated in, oddly enough, red, green, and white. It's almost like a candy cane snowstorm.

Sometimes you can see the a ghost outline of the program (people moving around and the like) before it goes into restart mode.

Sometimes it makes an extremely loud screeching noise, sometimes it's silent.

14 years of dog hair and dust will do that. As RM said, sounds like something in the power supply is letting go, or some part of the main board power control circuit is toast.

Retailers are clearing previous models for the Christmas shopping season so there are some super deals right now.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 09:38:13 AM »
I'm fully expecting the release of the magic smoke any day now...

:rofl:

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 10:55:41 AM »
Best Buy has the 65" LG Series 90 NanoCell on for $899. I have the previous generation of this model. Full array dimming, native 120Hz refresh, and supports both Dolby Vision and HDR10. Picture quality is fantastic.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-class-nanocell-90-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6453310.p?skuId=6453310

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2022, 11:13:25 AM »
Damn...

I just took a look at my credit card rewards points... I can cash in points worth $1,640.

I may be looking at an even higher end TV...

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2022, 12:34:42 PM »
Damn...

I just took a look at my credit card rewards points... I can cash in points worth $1,640.

I may be looking at an even higher end TV...

Well, in that case...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-100-class-bravia-xr-x92-led-4k-uhd-full-array-smart-google-tv/6463312.p?skuId=6463312

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2022, 12:47:44 PM »

Well, in that case...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-100-class-bravia-xr-x92-led-4k-uhd-full-array-smart-google-tv/6463312.p?skuId=6463312

Brad

And Millie Montag's dream of 4 TV walls in her parlor are ever so much closer to coming true.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2022, 12:50:31 PM »
Haven’t owned a tv since 1997 but when/if Elon musk comes through with my satellite I’ll be in the market for one. I’m overwhelmed by all the choices and new technology.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2022, 12:55:40 PM »
If you get a new TV, whatever will you do with the cowbell that you beat on for entertainment?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2022, 01:29:18 PM »
If you get a new TV, whatever will you do with the cowbell that you beat on for entertainment?
Hang it on the wall next to my bongo drum and sleigh bells?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2022, 01:39:43 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2022, 01:57:04 PM »
The thing that still stuns me about today's flat panel TVs is just how light they are.

My last CRT TV was a Samsung 32" that had, for the mid 1990s, a TREMENDOUS picture. Only, the damned thing weighed about 200 pounds (maybe not that might, but holy christ!)

My current 44" (I think) Samsung was something along the lines of 55-60 pounds with the stand.

The 65" model I'm seriously considering? It's 46 pounds.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2022, 06:05:27 PM »
Quick revisit because I just ran across a Best Buy add for "BLACK FRIDAY PRICES NOW!!!". Gave it a look see and some pretty decent deals if you're still in the market.

Brad

-HankB