Author Topic: Upside Down Fire in Wood Stove  (Read 790 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Upside Down Fire in Wood Stove
« on: October 12, 2022, 08:48:48 AM »
I used to subscribe to and watch these Wranglestar videos until a couple of years ago, when he went way click-baitey and I unsubscribed. This one popped up in my recommendations this morning though.

https://youtu.be/CgKCBnxm3ig

I thought it was interesting. I might try it. It's basically starting your daily woodstove fire "upside down", putting the big logs on the bottom and filling the stove with smaller and smaller pieces. Your kindling is on top and you let it burn down instead of up. I'm wondering if any of you with stoves or fireplaces have ever done this?

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Upside Down Fire in Wood Stove
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 08:55:11 AM »
From what I'm hearing that seems to be the preferred way to start the new series of EPA certified stoves.

I've done the reverse fire start with campfires when the ground is damp. Seems to work pretty well.

STUPIDEST method ever for making his firestarters. Using a lit candle to drip the wax? Jesus. Stupid.

Cutting down onto a concrete floor with no block? *expletive deleted*ck this guy is stupid!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 09:02:28 AM »
Don't close your door! Leave your door open a crack!

So what does he do?

He closes the door. Jesus...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 09:03:27 AM »
Excellent tip from the comments:

"Tip for anyone watching. Put medium wood below the big logs at the bottom as a spacer from the bottom (more air can reach). Also have a slight gap between the big logs so the coals can drop below. Also be more conservative with your logs when it’s hot, one or two at a time or you’re just wasting wood."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 09:24:13 AM »
Excellent tip from the comments:

"Tip for anyone watching. Put medium wood below the big logs at the bottom as a spacer from the bottom (more air can reach). Also have a slight gap between the big logs so the coals can drop below. Also be more conservative with your logs when it’s hot, one or two at a time or you’re just wasting wood."

Yeah, I was thinking about space under the big logs as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 09:34:47 AM »
Completely different, but still heating related.

This is REALLY cool...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZnayOUQN28

I know a couple of people who have made small stoves out of ammo cans based on what they heard about WW II era foxhole heaters, but this is completely different.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 03:56:38 PM »
That looks pretty interesting. 

I was thinking of something to help at my house.  I lost power during the 2021 freeze we had down here.  My natural gas heater won't run without power and I have no fireplace.  I need an option beyond candles.  I was thinking of the small fire pits you can put out on the patio (for outside not inside). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 04:15:58 PM »
That looks pretty interesting. 

My natural gas heater won't run without power and I have no fireplace.

Most gas furnaces use very little electricity. Mine is a larger one and it only draws 14amps peak. Any genny 2500watts or more will handle that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 05:21:59 PM »
Might be more cost effective to get yourself one of the propane buddy heaters if you don't have to worry about winter power loss all that often.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 05:58:50 PM »
We've got a small fireplace with a grate about 3" off the bottom.  I use the top down method most every time I light the fire.  The grate's got plenty of air flow and it's a lot easier to put the small stuff on top.  Might take a little longer for the big stuff to light, but I'm usually not in a hurry.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 08:18:37 AM »
Just now thought of this, but top down works a lot better for lighting a coal fire, especially in one of the narrow, deep coal baskets.

Coal burns from the bottom up (fundamentally differently than wood) but you need to start with a wood fire if you're going to get anthracite coal lit.

You put a couple of larger chunks on the bottom and build your fire on top of that and that starts you off with a good set of coals that has staying power when you start loading in the coal.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 08:34:27 AM »
Well anyway, as soon as it gets below 80 freakin' degrees here, I'm gonna try this for the first fire of the season.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 09:24:17 AM »
Well anyway, as soon as it gets below 80 freakin' degrees here, I'm gonna try this for the first fire of the season.

Do a Nixon!

Light a fire and turn the air conditioning on full blast!

:rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2022, 09:25:14 AM »
You know, all of this bullshit about how best to lay in fire, not forgetting to tend it, blah blah blah...

I'm so glad that I have a pellet stove.  =D

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2022, 09:26:31 AM »
I'm so glad that I have a pellet stove.  =D

Now if only you had friends to help you haul pellets... :P  =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2022, 09:39:17 AM »
Now if only you had friends to help you haul pellets... :P  =D

Better than friends, I have laborers!

Actually, neighbor of mine has offered to give me a hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2022, 07:55:05 AM »
Well, I have tried this method for the last few days and I have to say it makes a better fire than "kindling on the bottom". I am pleasantly surprised.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2022, 08:11:07 AM »
Do a Utoob video on it, only do it smarter than the clown in the video you posted.

Are you using fire starters at all?

Were I starting a woodstove like that I'd probably just go with some splinted 2x4. I've never had a 2x4 fail to catch.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2022, 08:16:42 AM »
Are you using fire starters at all?

I buy a small box of fatwood kindling every year to have in reserve for "stubborn fire" days, but mostly just use kindling that I make from the pine I get every year from the local post and pole place.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2022, 01:41:07 AM »
When I do a cold lighting of my stove I use the top down method.  It actually does work really well and does get my catalyst up to temp pretty quickly.

That said it only take a very small amount of forethought and I can go as long as I’m comfortable between chimney sweeps with a single match for stove lighting.  It’s absolute child’s play to get a 12 hour burn with plenty of coals to light off the new load.  20 hours is doable in the early and late part of the burning season even with only alder available. If I had oak available 30 hours wouldn’t be unreasonable.
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2022, 12:39:47 PM »
I buy a small box of fatwood kindling every year to have in reserve for "stubborn fire" days, but mostly just use kindling that I make from the pine I get every year from the local post and pole place.

How dare you body shame that wood!