Author Topic: Daylight time question  (Read 1021 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Daylight time question
« on: October 29, 2022, 04:37:06 AM »
Daylight time for all of the United States (except Arizona and Hawaii) ends next weekend. The duration of "daylight savings time" was extended in 2007, to run from mid-March to the first Sunday in November. This was supposedly pursuant to the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

I have never understood how tinkering with the clocks in any way conserves energy. Can someone explain this mystery to me?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
Re: Daylight time question
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 07:18:10 AM »
I've heard it explained that having people get up before it's light causes them to use more electricity since they turn on the lights.  But I think it's just a catch phrase at this point.  In the same way "Racist" = Bad, "Conserves Energy" = Good.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 08:03:34 AM »
I always figured it was just to allow summertime activities to go on "later" by the clock.  So incidentally that saves some lighting energy.  But we're only "saving" daylight from the morning and using it later in the day,.and that's why it's called Daylight Savings Time.  Here it's MDT or MST for Mountain time.

Apparently most agricultural folks don't like it much because the animals get hungry by solar time, so the farmers have to get up to take care of them "earlier" by the clock. So incidentally that uses some lighting energy .

So since there are more urbanites "saving" energy late in the "clock" day  than there are rural folks "using" energy early in the "clock" day, there's a net energy savings effect.

Or let me put it this way: "There's supposedly a net energy savings effect."

I expect there's a latitude contributor to this "savings" but I'm not about to noodle that out on only one cup of AM coffee.

Terry (yawn), 230RN

Hmmm... so after sipping on that second cuppa and abluting, Terry mutters to himself, "So let's see.... at 40° latitude, I'm almost halfway up to the North Pole from the Equator.... now, at the Arctic Circle, which is 90° minus the earth's tilt..."

« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 08:50:47 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 08:25:57 AM »
I expect there's a latitude contributor to this "savings" but I'm not about to noodle that out on only one cup of AM coffee.

Terry (yawn), 230RN

As someone who is an early riser and that has always despised DST, I despise it even more living on the Western edge of the Mountain time zone (in fact I live well into the Pacific time zone if you draw a straight line). I get up at 0500. Right now, the sun doesn't come up here until 0815, so yeah, lots of lights and energy are used in the morning.

If they make DST fulltime, sunrise will be ~0920 in December in these parts. For at least half the year, peak morning commute, and kids going to school, will be in the dark. I imagine accidents will rise significantly.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 08:29:43 AM »
"Can someone explain this mystery to me?"

Sure! It's easy!

It's never worked the way everyone says it will.

See? Easy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 08:31:37 AM »
I don't much mind the fall back time change (except for forgetting to reset Seren's body clock every year), but I HATE HATE HATE the spring forward time change. Completely screws me up for at least a week.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 08:36:42 AM »
During the winter I get up in the dark, drive to work in the dark, drive home with the sun blinding me in the face as it sets and get home right in the dark

During DST I still get up in the dark and drive to work in the dark but at least I have some decent time at home with it still light out to grill out and play with the dogs and take care of the lawn.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 08:59:29 AM »
When I was working for someone else I always appreciated the extra daylight at the end of the workday during DST. Winter time it was always dark when I left for work and dark when I got home, hated that. Being "retired" I pretty well set my own hours so don't care anymore.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 09:21:43 AM »
As someone who is an early riser and that has always despised DST, I despise it even more living on the Western edge of the Mountain time zone (in fact I live well into the Pacific time zone if you draw a straight line). I get up at 0500. Right now, the sun doesn't come up here until 0815, so yeah, lots of lights and energy are used in the morning.

If they make DST fulltime, sunrise will be ~0920 in December in these parts. For at least half the year, peak morning commute, and kids going to school, will be in the dark. I imagine accidents will rise significantly.

Well, you're pretty far north, too, compared to CA.

There are some places which only advance and retard the clock by a half hour instead of an hour.  There's no law that says geographical boundaries have to be straight lines.  The international date "line" wanders around the pacific quite a bit.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2022, 09:23:52 AM »
When I was working for someone else I always appreciated the extra daylight at the end of the workday during DST. Winter time it was always dark when I left for work and dark when I got home, hated that. Being "retired" I pretty well set my own hours so don't care anymore.
This could have been my post.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2022, 10:08:20 AM »
Years ago, an old friend of the family and retired farmer, absolutely refused to change his clocks or acknowledge DST in any way. He always had a pocket watch in the bib of his coveralls. As a youngster I used to ask him what time it was just to get him to pull his watch and announce xx o’clock Gods Time!
What we have here is failure to communicate.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2022, 10:18:08 AM »
It's very simple for me. Sun goes down, turn on the light. Sun come up, turn the light off. The clock be damned!  :facepalm:

Woody  :old:
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2022, 12:09:16 PM »
Another year. Another 2 rounds of kvetching about DST. For that reason alone, I want it gone.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2022, 01:55:03 PM »
Not too long ago, I read somewhere that some geniuses wanted (in the holy name of ENERGY CONSERVATION to switch the eastern time zone to the same time as the Atlantic time zone -- for the entire year. That's essentially making it daylight time all year.

I still can't convince myself that daylight time saves any energy. Especially today, when more homes and more commercial buildings are computer controlled (and smarter than the average bureaucrat), the lights and the temperature are going to happen when they need to happen, irrespective of the clock.

What going back to non-daylight time means for me is that it might be a little lighter when I leave for work (but it hasn't been dark anyway), but it'll be full dark when I leave work.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2022, 05:06:06 PM »
Another year. Another 2 rounds of kvetching about DST. For that reason alone, I want it gone.

Me Too!

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2022, 05:18:31 PM »

We need to do something about the people kvetching about the kvetching.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2022, 05:26:17 PM »
That's just about enough of that
7-11 was a part time job.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2022, 06:39:20 PM »

Too late!

Woody

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2022, 04:04:27 AM »
Years ago, an old friend of the family and retired farmer, absolutely refused to change his clocks or acknowledge DST in any way. He always had a pocket watch in the bib of his coveralls. As a youngster I used to ask him what time it was just to get him to pull his watch and announce xx o’clock Gods Time!

So where was the Garden of Eden with respect to Greenwich England's longitude of zero?  Maybe we should reconsider the lpcation of the "Prime Meridian."
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 04:17:09 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2022, 09:35:10 AM »
Not too long ago, I read somewhere that some geniuses wanted (in the holy name of ENERGY CONSERVATION to switch the eastern time zone to the same time as the Atlantic time zone -- for the entire year. That's essentially making it daylight time all year.

I still can't convince myself that daylight time saves any energy. Especially today, when more homes and more commercial buildings are computer controlled (and smarter than the average bureaucrat), the lights and the temperature are going to happen when they need to happen, irrespective of the clock.

What going back to non-daylight time means for me is that it might be a little lighter when I leave for work (but it hasn't been dark anyway), but it'll be full dark when I leave work.
I don't think it saves "significant" energy.  Unless someone has high wattage lights, the energy used by lighting is pretty small.  The highest wattage lights most people have are the outdoor lights which will be on anyway.  Most other energy uses are going to be more or less the same no matter what time people get up. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2022, 09:54:14 AM »
I heard the Senate passed a law this year to stop clock changing. What ever happened to that?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2022, 11:42:19 AM »
I heard the Senate passed a law this year to stop clock changing. What ever happened to that?
You can have my "set time" button when you pry it from my cold sleepy fingers
7-11 was a part time job.