Author Topic: Semi Random question on car insurance  (Read 538 times)

dogmush

• friend
Semi Random question on car insurance
« on: October 31, 2022, 12:54:26 PM »
Mrs. Mush and I got in a car wreck a couple weeks ago, and I had to make a claim on our insurance.  So far so good.  Car is at the body shop, Allstate is saying they'll fix it, and we have a rental car for a reasonable amount of money.  The only wrinkle is we're being told that Alfa Romeo parts are on long backorders right now due to the ubiquitous "Supply Chain issues".  I can certainly understand this, and I try and be reasonable.  Our rental car coverage is $30 a day for 30 days.  After that we're on our own, and rentals in Tampa are pretty expensive right now.

We're looking into various options from trying to use CC points to maybe even buying a beater and selling it when we get her car back.  We are trying to get a better estimate on when the parts will show up, but the dealer, so far, has been saying it could be as much as 6 months.

My question is this:  Is there a point where I can successfully tell the insurance company that they have not made me whole (I still don't have a car) and they need to total it and cut me a check?  At some point around the 60-75 day mark I'll be incurring what I think of as "significant" expense that the whole point of having comprehensive insurance coverage is supposed to avoid.

What say the Hivemind?

PS Everyone in all involved cars is fine.

HankB

• friend
Re: Semi Random question on car insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 01:14:04 PM »
Just be glad you & Mrs. Mush weren't hurt, and keep your fingers crossed that you don't start hurting now - whiplash symptoms can be delayed, and you really don't want to have a need to file an expensive injury claim with your insurance.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 05:05:05 PM »
I was hit a few years ago.  I made the claim on the insurance of the at-fault driver.  As I understood it, they were obligated to and did pay for a (very cheap) rental car while mine was being repaired - over two months.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 08:48:59 PM »
Sadly I was the last car in a four car interstate pileup, so as far as the FHP and Insurance is concerned I am the at fault driver.

My rental car coverage is $30tday for 30 days. I have another roughly two weeks of that before I'm on the hook for the whole rental car or whatever else we do for her transport.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 09:36:10 PM »
Call your agent and discuss with them. If they say they want to fix it but the shop can't get parts one of them needs to keep you in a car.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 10:18:33 PM »
Alpha Romeo? Uh yeah, could be awhile.
Wife’s cousin bought a new Volvo sedan that conked out one day while still sporting that new car smell. He drove a dealer loaner (several actually) for 5 months waiting for a sensor.
I don’t know how the insurance company handles your case, maybe depends on the fine print in your policy?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 10:25:29 PM »
You may want to fight, but how much are you willing to fight?

I'd go for a cheap beater.

Like a small truck?
Blog under construction

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 06:01:32 AM »
You may want to fight, but how much are you willing to fight?

I'd go for a cheap beater.

Like a small truck?
Around here trucks are among the most expensive of cheap beaters. Not sure how dogmush’s market looks.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 07:28:55 AM »
I glanced at it a little bit.  I can get a 15 or so year old compact sedan (Jetta, Corrolla, Focus, etc) for between 3 and 4 k pretty easily.  If I have to go that route, I should be able to get that money back out of it.

I don't want something so "beater" that I have to fix it up a bunch in the time we own it.  Ideally it won't come to that.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2022, 07:39:15 AM »
I glanced at it a little bit.  I can get a 15 or so year old compact sedan (Jetta, Corrolla, Focus, etc) for between 3 and 4 k pretty easily.  If I have to go that route, I should be able to get that money back out of it.

I don't want something so "beater" that I have to fix it up a bunch in the time we own it.  Ideally it won't come to that.

Given that the insurance company doesn't budge, this seems like the economically smart move. I agree with you on not buying a real beater. Besides the time and money you might have to put into it, it might be harder to resell than a "nice" beater. I'd buy for even double what you're finding beaters for. With a nicer one and only having it a half year or so, I bet you could easily get all your money back given the current vehicle market.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."