Author Topic: Can't get good help ...  (Read 527 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Can't get good help ...
« on: October 31, 2022, 03:24:46 PM »
Since Amazon has opened a couple of local fulfillment centers around here, most deliveries are made by the people driving the funny-colored Dodge Sprinter-type vans. For the most part, they seem to do a pretty good job, but there's one that really fell short of the mark.

I live in a semi-rural town. It used to be all farms and really rural, but much of the farm land has been bought up, subdivided, and built on. So we're now more of a suburb, but no sidewalks, no streetlights (except at intersections), and fairly large lots. My house is set pretty far back from the street, and along the road is the old, colonial stone wall that enclosed it when the cows grazed here.

Upon my return from the VA hospital I stopped at the mailbox, which is outside of the wall. As I was grabbing the mail, I happened to notice a box in the weeds, against the wall. I started mentally cursing the slobs who drive through my road and just toss stuff out their windows, but then I happened to notice a swash arrow logo on the end of the box. So I got out of the car, picked up the box, and found that -- sure enough -- it was an unopened Amazon box. Inside were two things I had ordered. I don't recall receiving any notification that that particular order had been delivered. The box has been there for awhile -- it had obviously been rained on -- probably more than twice -- and the packing tape was mostly loose and unglued.

The driver on that particular day must have been running late so, rather than pull into the driveway and put the package on the front porch, like they usually do, he/she just pulled up next to the mailbox and let fly.

That's pretty shabby.

[Edit to add] Just checked Amazon. The order info says it was delivered October 18, so it has been sitting there for just shy of two weeks. And ... the tracking says it was handed directly to a resident.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
Re: Can't get good help ...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 08:10:57 AM »
That happened to us for a while about a year ago.  I don't know if it was related to the pandemic and not wanting to get close to the customer (right or wrong with hindsight, but it was a concern at the time) or just a time saver since you can't see the house from the end of the driveway.  But a couple times they would put the package in a plastic bag and hang that from the mailbox.  That seemed chancy to me since it was virtually an invitation to somebody driving by.  We didn't complain, but then they started leaving it behind a big tree near the mailbox.  Sometimes in a bag and sometimes not, but they had to get out and put it there, no way it could be thrown there from the truck.  It struck us as funny; we named it the giving tree.  But they stopped that altogether and now it's usually on the front porch, except the few times they get inventive and put it somewhere harder to find.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 08:18:32 AM »
I found out that if you go to Amazon when you're expecting a package, you can get pretty detailed info on where it is once it's close - you can bring up a map and it will show you where the delivery truck is and how many more stops he's going to make before your place. I don't know whether it's based on an electronically updated report of package deliveries or if their delivery trucks are GPS-enabled.  (I suspect the former.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 09:06:48 AM »
I was thinking Amazon usually posts a picture of the package at the delivery point.  I guess they didn't do that this time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 09:11:39 AM »
I was thinking Amazon usually posts a picture of the package at the delivery point.  I guess they didn't do that this time.

That's only the Amazon vans. UPS, USPS, and "Amazon contractor in a private vehicle" don't do the photos or the "X stops away" maps.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 07:43:33 PM »

Correct -- they usually post the photo. In fact, last year an Amazon driver arrived with a package while I was changing the oil in my Jeep, so walked over to the truck and offered to take the package off his hands. No go -- he insisted that HE had to put it on the doorstep and take a photo.

There was no photo of this wayward package in the weeds by the side of the road.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design