Author Topic: Handy USB bendy lights  (Read 627 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Handy USB bendy lights
« on: October 31, 2022, 06:05:43 PM »
Picked up these on a whim.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J42QJQ3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Have to say that I am duly impressed. Brighter than expected and small enough to store most anywhere. Put a couple each in the powerpack pouch, travel kit, BOB, and both vehicles. I figure they will come in handy for all kinds of things, including emergency lighting. At only a watt each, they should be good for many days of emergency illumination with my 20k mAH powerpack.

Picked up these on the same whim.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JV9TGYJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Impressive illumination. Multiple output settings and choice of three color temps. Not sure what I'm going to do with them. Maybe in the truck for emergencies, maybe in the severe weather preparedness kit. Not sure yet.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Handy USB bendy lights
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 09:11:21 PM »
How much for one the color you hate the most? Would make a great keyboard light at night!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 10:21:50 PM »
I've found that I'll tell Alexa to turn my ceiling light to 1% brightness, and it doesn't mess with snoozing. Tried a red nightlight in a desk lamp, and it's also pretty chill.
Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 10:51:13 PM »
How much for one the color you hate the most? Would make a great keyboard light at night!

At nine bucks for a 10-pack, you can get every gawdawful color you want. Actually wanted bright colors so they're easier to find at night or when digging around in the car console.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 11:11:38 PM »
But, I just need one!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 11:39:00 AM »
Went ahead and got a clamp-type 12v extension socket for the BOB.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CN1TDWN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I may put one in each of our vehicles. Both power down the lighter and 12v power socket with the key off. The extension would make for constant-on emergency lighting and power.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 12:50:32 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 01:02:39 PM »
Looks like a useful light.  I have an old USB powered light, but it is so dim as to be useless. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 01:26:15 PM »
I got a couple of those USB bendy lights years ago. EARLY iterations of the device, is my guess; and they didn't really do all that much. I suspect that the newest generation is going to be a lot brighter.

I'm not even sure where they are anymore, or if I even still have them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2022, 04:27:52 PM »
Went ahead and got a clamp-type 12v extension socket for the BOB.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CN1TDWN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I may put one in each of our vehicles. Both power down the lighter and 12v power socket with the key off. The extension would make for constant-on emergency lighting and power.

Brad

On every car I've owned, I alter the factory wiring so that the 12V socket(s) in the car provide constant power. That product is a great alternative, however, if you don't want to do that.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2022, 05:28:10 PM »
On every car I've owned, I alter the factory wiring so that the 12V socket(s) in the car provide constant power. That product is a great alternative, however, if you don't want to do that.

Given the power management integration and of modern vehicle power systems, I think I'll leave well enough alone. One wrong snip and... KABOOM!

Brad
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 07:58:04 PM »
Just run some wire through the firewall, and call it good. 10 gauge Romex actually works pretty well. Use grommets and fuse it too.
Blog under construction