Author Topic: Interesting article, and shockingly, it's from CNN  (Read 696 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Interesting article, and shockingly, it's from CNN
« on: November 01, 2022, 07:50:57 AM »
An examination of why armies lose the will to fight, what happens when they do, and why the Russian army may be on the brink of such a collapse.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/29/europe/russian-army-ukraine-blake-cec/index.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I've seen the picture of Putin at the conference table before. What sort of surprised me is that there's no bullet proof shield around him. Or there is and that picture was completely staged.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Interesting article, and shockingly, it's from CNN
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 09:22:42 AM »
That all does bear thinking on.  I don't know how easy it is to predict when or where it might happen. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 10:04:18 AM »
That all does bear thinking on.  I don't know how easy it is to predict when or where it might happen.
Or what Putin’s reaction to it happening might be.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 10:18:54 AM »
Or what Putin’s reaction to it happening might be.
Yes, the consequences of giving up or losing might not be so good (from Putin or the Ukrainians if captured).  I imagine the training level of the average soldier might make a difference if there are too many conscripts. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 10:56:08 AM »
CNN should take that article to heart next time they start bashing Mom & Pop America. One side is battling for a paycheck and free stuff, the other is battling for freedom and their country.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 11:19:27 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 11:01:31 AM »
CNN should take that article to hear the next time they start bashing on Mom & Pop America. One side is battling for a paycheck and free stuff, the other is battling for freedom and their country.

Brad

You really think that CNN, MSNBC, or the liberals could understand something that nuanced?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 11:19:07 AM »
You really think that CNN, MSNBC, or the liberals could understand something that nuanced?

Unfortunately, no. =|

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 11:25:03 AM »
What's fun to contemplate is if Ukraine ended up annexing Russia.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 11:33:08 AM »
What's fun to contemplate is if Ukraine ended up annexing Russia.

Give it back to the Mongols
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2022, 01:07:54 PM »
Which brings more questions to mind:  IF, IF, IF Russia's military falls apart or is pushed out of the Ukraine (assume without nukes going off), what would that mean for them on other borders or in the future?  I figure Putin's position would be very insecure, but unless they were able to overhaul their military, they would appear pretty weak at least conventionally.  That said, they still have access to a lot of artillery and some decent tech missiles. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2022, 01:28:04 PM »
"IF, IF, IF Russia's military falls apart or is pushed out of the Ukraine (assume without nukes going off), what would that mean for them on other borders or in the future?"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 03:20:33 PM »
We touched on the subject in the other thread.  I guess it is a big bag of unknowns and potential chaos.  Russia has been throwing their weight around for a long while, but the only one that seems to be in a position to take advantage is China.  Also, someone in Russia could clean up the corruption and get their military on track, but I doubt that will be quick or happen under Putin.