Author Topic: Moving to No Va.  (Read 4217 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Moving to No Va.
« on: September 18, 2005, 12:30:41 PM »
Well, I got a tenative offer to transfer to Potomac TRACON in Jan of '08
 rolleyes
I've accepted the offer. Lots of moving parts that could kill the deal, but in the meantime, it looks like I'm a going thataway.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
Moving to No Va.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 02:12:25 PM »
If you have any desire to buy a house, start saving now.  Currently, townhomes run $300k+ in any area and single family homes start at $450k.  

BTW, there's some decent mountain biking around here considering how urbanized it's becoming.  

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
Moving to No Va.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 02:38:06 PM »
Saw some nice stuff in Warrenton (online, anyways) in the $400k-$500k.  Otherwise, its probably going to be out a little further, like Lindon or down south somewhere like Stafford.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Moving to No Va.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 03:01:12 PM »
You could buy half my county for $500,000. Smiley

Jamisjockey

• friend
Moving to No Va.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 03:03:47 PM »
Yea 500,000 gets you about 5,000 sqft out here, with all the goodies.  The reasons for making the move sure ain't to get a deal on housing....
JD

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
Moving to No Va.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 03:40:52 PM »
keep your commute in mind.

mtnbkr

• friend
Moving to No Va.
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 04:02:18 PM »
What Pauli said...

Avoid living in areas that have you driving significant distances up I95, I495, or I66.  Most of my commute is up I66 and most days it sucks.  Of course, if you're driving against traffic or at odd hours, it isn't too bad, but even then you'll run into nasty traffic for unexplained reasons.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
Moving to No Va.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 04:55:41 PM »
I generally do commute off hours.  Not sure what the schedules are there, though.
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Moving to No Va.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 06:44:02 PM »
Don't worry, the houseing bubble will have burst by then!

2008? You're kidding me, you're locking in to a transfer over 2 years in advance?

I live 7 miles from my office, and it can still take me over an hour to get home at times. If it's raining heavily or there's even a hint of snow, I'm completely screwed in trying to get across Route 7.

Of course, I have it much better than mtnbkr. We work about a mile from each other, and he lives much further out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
Moving to No Va.
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 05:13:03 AM »
2 years is kind of typical in my job.  Because of the OJT required, it typically takes that long to backfill my position.  
Yea we're considering as far out as Front Royal.  Kind of a long drive, but I like the idea of being right by the NF.
Where we live will defintely depend on how much we can save and how much equity we get out of our place by then.  Market is on the up here and should be for a few more years.

7 miles? Have you thought about bike commuting?  If I lived that close I'd do it year round.
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
Moving to No Va.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 05:34:11 AM »
His 7mile commute is not something I'd want to bike.  When I lived in Ashburn and worked in Reston, I biked to work from time to time.  I could spend most of my commute on the W&OD bike path.  Plus, we had showers at work.  It was a 10mile ride, just enough to get a workout.  Now, there isn't a bike safe route between the office and where I live.  It doesn't matter, we don't have showers here. Sad

Where would you be working?  Front Royal is out there a ways, but it's a nice area if you like the country.  I hunt not far from there.  Winchester might be another good choice depening on your work location.  Heck, depending on what property values do between now and then, you might be able to get a little closer to NoVa.  At the moment, Haymarket is the edge of the crazy prices, further west is still reasonable.  You might also consider West Va.  I know quite a few folks that commute from there.  It's just a short trip up I81 from Front Royal.  

Chris

pauli

Moving to No Va.
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 06:36:56 AM »
prices are going up in winchester, too, of all places.

i used to work in the middle of fairfax (across from ted britt). we had a person or two who lived in west virginia. 1-1.5 hours each way.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Moving to No Va.
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 08:54:49 AM »
What MTNBKR said.

I know people who do commute to the office, but I think they're nuts. A good portion of my 7 miles would be over EXTREMELY congested roads.

Not my idea of a fun time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
Moving to No Va.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 02:50:15 PM »
The facility is where the old Army installation was at Vint Hill Farms, just off 215 between 15 and 28.  Just East of Warrenton.  
I bike commute when I can, but my hours blow for bike commuting.  I can take a more direct route by bike to work, but its still 21.7 miles one way.  Of course, the entire route has a shoulder, with 4 miles of bike path.
I'm hoping to land in Warrenton if we can find something.  Its just a matter of watching the clock tick for two more years.  Hopefully the housing market stabilizes there.
JD

DrAmazon

• friend
Moving to No Va.
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 04:25:37 PM »
I'm down south of Stafford, and the prices are nutty down here too.  I've only been here about 2 months, and I find EVERYTHING to be expensive.  

I'm praying that the bubble breaks here, but I just can't see it.  I just can't that big employer in DC going out of business and lower the demand on the housing.  I'm definitely in that "starter home" market, but the prices make me wonder if I need to become a "starter" drug dealer to afford anything.

I hope that you find a good agent and suggest that you start looking at housing on-line now.  Then you'll be somewhat vaccinated from the prices and won't have the urge to laugh (or cry) when they show you what a particular price point will buy.
Experiment with a chemist!

pauli

Moving to No Va.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2005, 05:48:12 AM »
i wanted to toss this monstrosity into the thread. it's a few blocks from me.

http://www.movetova.com/Listing_pages/12802%20Monroe%20Manor/12802_Monroe_Manor.htm

Jamisjockey

• friend
Moving to No Va.
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 06:09:09 AM »
LOL that place would be bout 700k here in Utah.  Still not chump change.....
JD