Author Topic: Summer pics ..........  (Read 25715 times)

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2005, 02:41:31 PM »
Well, this year races on and here we are, another big bike event again.  

Just spent a lot of time this weekend (roasting too - it was so very hot!) - at ''Thunder in the Valley'' .... bike week at Johnstown PA.  The town gets saturated with bikes from all over - more than you can shake a stick at!!!  First coupla pics are just to give some ''flavor'' but really give no real clue as to the massive density of bikes all over town.  The third one is a rather nice and unusual graphic on one of the many 100's of hogs!

It was so hot that even riding with air flowing past - it was still too hot!  Still - could have been ruined by rain so - we lucked out really, like last year.

(Winston - more interesting pics of yours - thx).

Oh one more pic - each year a team of guys come along and do some trick riding - most of them real young.  Some of what they do is riding with two inside a 14" steel globe - clever stuff.  But the big trick is doing a back flip - and all this within an area not really much bigger than a tennis court.

Unfortunately tho I thought I'd selected a good position for pics - they did the flips at opposite end from last year so - a sorta back view and not helped by pole and transformer in the way either.  At top left of pic is the top of the Johnstown inclined plain - I believe at some 48º the steepest grade incline in the nation.

Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2005, 07:30:20 AM »
Some more "summer" pics I took yesterday.....

....Okay, so I took them at 11,000 feet....so what Tongue
There is still 70+ inches of snow mid-mountain at Snowbird resort.  4th of July weekend will be thier last ski weekend of the year!  

Wife's niece on a bungee-olene

My son, pondering the meaning of Duck, at a church carnival
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2005, 07:42:07 AM »
Jason - great pics!!!  Excellent contribution, thx.  

My - that is some beautiful scenery you have there.  The #2 and 3 shots are breathtaking stuff.  Love the bungee too - that must be one loada fun! Smiley
Chris - P95

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2005, 07:48:57 AM »
Quote from: P95Carry
Jason - great pics!!!  Excellent contribution, thx.  

My - that is some beautiful scenery you have there.  The #2 and 3 shots are breathtaking stuff.  Love the bungee too - that must be one loada fun! Smiley
Thanks!  We bet the kids $2 for the first one to do a sommersault.  They had a blast.

I can leave my house and be at the ski resorts in 45 minutes.  Even summer up there is spectacular....tall trees, woods, wildlife...it is amazing!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2005, 07:43:43 PM »
Took a bike ride around and across the bridge the other day.

Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2005, 07:09:34 PM »
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2005, 02:57:29 PM »
Time for a nudge!!

Some fireworks for you - last night in town.  Slightly ''enhanced''.!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The draginfly is back again too -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once again the Liatris comes into flower - tho this was actually it last year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris - P95

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2005, 10:09:53 AM »
Okiedokie, a few more fresh ones:

Interesting clouds over Daytona International Speedway

Pelican cleaning his (her) self

Sunrise over Daytona Beach

Discovery sitting on Launch Pad 39B, awaiting next Wednesday's launch
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2005, 10:50:29 AM »
Great stuff jefnvk - thx for the contribution.  Nice work. Smiley  

I have only just gotten back from a quick browse around our local fire hall ''do'' - they have an event which for a small community is very successful and well attended, made better by A1 weather - hopefully just as good for tomorrow.

Classic cars, bikes, tractors - loadsa stuff.  The money they make from this goes towards their costs - great to see it well supported.  Once I have looked thru a few pics I took, I'll post some to give a flavor of the event.
Chris - P95

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2005, 11:55:15 AM »
Well - here is some flavor of the Alum Bank Firehall event.  A typical example of a great rural PA small-town type event.  Lottsa good folks, lots to see and a good time for all.

First some auto stuff - there were a great many very nicely restored classics and also some very smart hotrods.  This machine is one I had not seen locally before, furnished with two inline motors ... only wish I'd heard it running!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another very smart under-hood power unit - not as you can see too much room to spare!!

This Harley trike was built up over about two and more years - I spoke to the guy who owns it at Thunder in the Valley in Johnstown last month.  He has IIRC $43k in it!!  Beaut' paint job.

And here is the paint job on the ''trunk'' - very nice work IMO.   The spotty appearance BTW is due to the sun's effect on a small amount of flake in the whole paint job.

Another four to come - watch this space.
Chris - P95

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2005, 12:04:16 PM »
Larry Ashcraft shoulda been here to see some of this stuff - more old tractors than you could shake a stick at.  

Also some very well preserved and functional stationary engines, this one in particular is fascinating and was running.  The beam reciprocates and lifts a column of water each cycle - great!!

This old Fordson was I reckon the oldest tractor there - ran beautifully, tho a bit jerky when on the move!!

This tracked tractor had been beautifully restored - it's an Oliver ''Cletrac" - a contraction IIRC of the old Cleveland Tractor Co.

And finally, a shot showing part of the parade - all being commentated on by the guy in the green shirt to the left.

Hope this conveys just a small ''feel'' for the occasion.  One of many thinks that make summer rather special.

Chris - P95

InfidelSerf

• friend
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2005, 12:11:41 PM »
Say jefnvk   any chance we'll be able to see some launch pictures?

I was hoping to make it to the launch.. but since the date changed so much it messed up our plans. Sad

(with my fingers crossed)

I'm hoping to have time to edit and upload some of the pictures I took at Niagra Falls this 4th.
Dang lawn work comes first though :p
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2005, 12:49:13 PM »
Wow.  Thanks Chris for pointing me this way (took a week to open on dial up at home).

Yep, the stationary engines are a trip.  I have spent several weekends with my tractors and the other guys with their tractors, engines and such, special memories.  The parades are especially fun, kind of a culmination of all those hours of work.  We have one member who builds 1/4 scale RUNNING models of those engines.

That Fordson, its a wonder it survived, they weren't very good tractors.  The old timers used to say: "I can't believe anything that would get that hot in the summer, can still freeze up in the winter".

The lead tractor in the parade is a single front John Deere A or B, I can't tell.  The mounted cultivators add nice visual interesst (and make me believe it is a B).  I can't tell the year without seeing the frame, so it could be anywhere between 1938 and 1952.

The tractor behind the JD is, I believe, a Allis-Chalmers WD-9, a good heavy duty unit.  But you'll notice, it is still behind the John Deere. Wink

jefnvk

• friend
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2005, 01:07:11 PM »
Say jefnvk   any chance we'll be able to see some launch pictures?
Well, I suppose I could snap some pics of it on my TV Tongue

Wish I could have stayed and watched, or the launch would have been one week earlier.  Just my luck.  Seeing a shuttle launch has always been something I wanted to do.

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2005, 01:10:18 PM »
The tractor behind the JD is, I believe, a Allis-Chalmers WD-9, a good heavy duty unit.  But you'll notice, it is still behind the John Deere.
Bwhahahahah - love it!!!  I am not good at telling ''A'' from ''B'' Larry on those - not being an afficionado but, sure as heck I love seeing this stuff preserved.  So many folks get a lotta pleasure seeing them.  The idea of 1/4 scale sounds great - something about working stuff scaled down - almost more fascinating.

Sorry about download time if you had to use dial-up.  I try to keep my pics around 60k or less but a thread like this can be a bit ''heavy''!!  Hope now tho your cache will hold the pics a while if you drop back in.
Chris - P95

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2005, 02:37:53 PM »
After perusing that picture some more...  That is a B, unless the driver is an overly huge fella.

Chris, your info on the Cletrac is spot on, AFAIK.  Here is a bit of old tractor history:  The two big dozer/crawler manufacturers in the 1920's were HOLT and BEST.  They were fierce competitors for many years until they finally decided to merge and end the hostilities.

The name of their new company?  CATERPILLER.

I really really need to start a thread on old tractors. Smiley

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2005, 02:45:19 PM »
I really really need to start a thread on old tractors.
Darned good idea Larry - I for one would love to learn a bit more.

Hey, Just by chance I took bike out to swing by the firehall again about an hour ago - traffic was stopped.  I sneaked to side near main red light, parked up, and watched the parade.  This constituted, firetrucks from all surrounding districts, several sheriff's cruisers, kids with their batons, and, ALL the tractors!!!!  Musta been over 30 minutes plus for all to get by.

What did I notice?!  In total - boatloads of John Deeres as well as other varieties - man you would have freaked out! Smiley
Chris - P95

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2005, 03:15:57 PM »
Just a little fun fact:  The first time I paraded tractors, my son, Jim, drove my JD 40 in the parade, alongside me with my AR.

Parade was over and Jim had to get back on Elizabeth St. to head home (I was ahead of him).  He stopped at the stop sign and panicked.  There was no way to get into traffic with my 40 (10 MPH max).

A cop saw him and stepped out onto Elizabeth and stopped ALL traffic until he was well underway. Smiley  Jimmy (14 years old at the time) was well impressed at the attention the little JD got him.  Gotta love the Pueblo PD, knowing what was important at the time.

I love this town.

InfidelSerf

• friend
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2005, 07:00:44 AM »
Ok here are some Niagra shots... I hope they are not too large

The American falls and Bridal falls from the Maid of the Mist

From land

And this is just an interesting plant I ran across
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

WhoKnowsWho

• http://whoknowswho.yafro.com
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2005, 08:44:18 AM »
Excellent photos, wish I took my camera out more often.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2005, 09:37:45 AM »
A stream about 30 minutes from the house. You know it is summer because there is water, and the road is open. This is in Glacier Nat Park.

Mr Billy, losing his winter coat.

The wildflowers are blooming at the lower elevations.

A sculpture outside where I work. This was at sunrise. There is a buffalo, a warrior, a dog, a bear, and an elk all underneath a soaring eagle. It was made with scrap metal that fit without bending or cutting. He puts his pieces together like a jig saw puzzle, if it fits he uses it. If not he wont reshape.

bob

jefnvk

• friend
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2005, 11:16:05 AM »
Hey, where at are those pics in Glacier?  I haven't been there in a few years, but it looks familiar.  If you get off into the backcountry there, off that tourist-ridden Going to the Sun road, you can see some absolute spectacular views.  100 times better than anything on the road, whih is still pretty good.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2005, 12:25:07 PM »
Actually, these are just off of the Going to the Sun Road. The secret to avoiding the tourists is to go up in early June or wait until September.

We usually stay away in the real summer, we go to other places nearby instead.

This is the big drift. We didn't get a lot of snow last winter. This is usually twice as high this time of year.

When the snow starts to melt, you get quite a few courses of water.

Looking out over a grove of aspen.

bob

grislyatoms

• friends
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2005, 01:05:58 PM »

Not exactly a summer pic, here's my daughter letting the waves chase her on a trip with her Mom and stepdad.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2005, 01:40:21 PM »
Oh my - great additions.  Veloce - beaut' pics of the falls- still hope to see them one day but as ever, ''carry factors'' deter me!!!

Bob - also some great pics - magnificent grandeur you have up there - thx for posting.

Grisly - nicely captured moment.

Wife and I rode out with some buddies today - did about 135 mile trip and went to visit ''Indian Caverns'' PA, (Along R 45 which runs from R 22 close to Huntingdon clear up to State College and beyond) - interesting formations inside a limestone peak.  I took some pics there and will post any that might be interesting later on.
Chris - P95