Author Topic: Oregon medical Marijuana user? CHL Okay.  (Read 1739 times)

Stickjockey

• friend
Oregon medical Marijuana user? CHL Okay.
« on: June 19, 2010, 10:57:10 AM »
From the article:
MEDFORD, Ore. (AP) - The Oregon Court of Appeals has ruled that a medical marijuana patient can have a concealed handgun permit.

Link:
http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/state/story/Handgun-permit-OK-with-medical-pot/mz5h0KwSWkONWLVOSldHMw.cspx
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Oregon medical Marijuana user? CHL Okay.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 11:59:04 AM »
Well done.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 12:07:19 PM »
Dood, where's my gun? Wait, what?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 12:44:41 PM »
Shouldn't the rules for carrying while intoxicated apply to this as well?  IIRC, you get in trouble for carrying while drunk, so wouldn't carrying while stoned be pretty much the same thing?
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 01:07:40 AM »
Shouldn't the rules for carrying while intoxicated apply to this as well?  IIRC, you get in trouble for carrying while drunk, so wouldn't carrying while stoned be pretty much the same thing?

Seeing as how we allow people to drive/carry while on caffeine or under the influence of nicotine, my main thing would be:  Is somebody, under the influence of THC, substantially more likely to use a weapon improperly?  I want to see actual studies, not suppositions.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 02:00:13 AM »

It may very well. However that wasn't the point in this case. In this case, it was the fact that the patient was legally able to obtain this particular drug as to why the Sheriff initially rejected the CHL application. If you want to equate that to booze the equivalent would be that anyone able to legally purchase liqour would also be denied a CHL, obviously not the case. This had nothing to do with actually being stoned while carrying, but the rejection of the ability to carry because of the possibility of getting legally stoned at all.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 02:55:31 AM »
Seeing as how we allow people to drive/carry while on caffeine or under the influence of nicotine, my main thing would be:  Is somebody, under the influence of THC, substantially more likely to use a weapon improperly?  I want to see actual studies, not suppositions.

As far as caffeine and nicotine go, the Mormons (I think?) have it right, they do affect you negatively. As an addict of both, however I think I can fairly say they affect you WAY differently than alcohol and pot. Except in very large quantities, they only make you jittery and hyper, but don't substantially impair your reflexes or judgement. I'll add sugar to that list of "drugs". Watch the reaction of a small child to eating a dozen brownies/cookies.

Having used pot several times myself, and  having known a few potheads, I think the problem would be more physical than emotional in regards to using the weapon improperly.  That would actually be a WORSE concern for someone who was genuinely using pot medicinally as opposed to a pothead, as the medicinal user would be less likely to have acclimated to the physical impairments that accompany use of the drug.

I actually have LESS concern for a medicinal pot user having a firearm (legally), than I do a drinker (who drinks to the point of intoxication), as I've met the drinkers who alcohol seems to disinhibit the angry mean side of their character, but never the pot user.

My concerns about medicinal pot users carrying (and not carrying)  firearms are their own safety. It would suck to have a pain problem (and I do know a little something about pain, both mental and physical) that is so bad that you cannot for large time periods effectively defend yourself without a risk of shooting yourself in the leg when you attempt to draw a weapon.

I'm WAY more comfortable with a pot user (who is otherwise law abiding) carrying a gun, than a driver (who is otherwise law abiding) driving after drinking (more than a very small amount), because a pistol is just a pound or two of steel and plastic until a finger is put in the vicinity of the trigger, whereas a moving car is a ton of steel with no direction other than that given it by the driver.

If I were a law enforcement officer who came across a medicinal pot user who was carrying, my first question would be "right now, at this time, are you high?" If that person said they were (or I disbelieved them when they said they weren't) , my second concern wouldn't be that that person would want to hurt me, but that that person would be so eager to show their compliance with my authority, that they would shoot themself in the leg trying to take their weapon out of their holster to surrender it to me.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 06:56:02 AM »
I find that hard to determine.
People that I know and am related to personally actually become more cautious and all around more responsible when on THC.

But then again, the people I play World of Warcraft with (who, as stoners, are very easily arguably different from most Marijuana users), make me want to scrape their face off on dirty concrete.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 08:56:39 AM »
The issue of whether this person should carry while on THC is really secondary to this issue.

The question is: should a person be prohibited from carrying a firearm entirely because he is forced to sometimes use THC legally for medical purposes? Bear in mind that this person reserves, under current law, the right to own a firearm.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 05:22:56 PM »

But then again, the people I play World of Warcraft with make me want to scrape their face off on dirty concrete.

No, that's just describes 90% of people on WoW. Stoners on Non. Nothing like getting 20 minutes into a 40 man raid for your healer or tank to have to "go do something".  :facepalm:

MEDFORD, Ore. (AP) - The Oregon Court of Appeals has ruled that a medical marijuana patient can have a concealed handgun permit.

Bravo, common sense triumphs not something you see everyday. You can carry while prescribed other pain killers why should we discriminate against one of the only (maybe THE only) 100% natural pain relievers with no serious adverse side effects?

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 07:16:34 PM »
Nah, not in my opinion.

The fx of alcohol and marijuana are much different for me. I used to smoke marijuana somewhat heavily in my teens, and it actually helped me perform better at sports and video games. It lowered my inhibitions, which actually increased my perception and made my thought process more efficient. I was much more aware of the learning process and repetition physically and mentally required to learn and become proficient at tasks. I was more at ease than impaired. Remembering what I was just talking about though... ha ha could be entertaining, but it wasn't that bad. You have to smoke a pretty impressive amount of marijuana for its fx to come close to alcohol (and that's just not cost-effective! ha ha).

Alcohol always acts as a depressive on me. Marijuana almost always acted as a stimulant. I've only been "drunk" a few times in my life, the last time being this past winter. I actually had to pay attention to make sure I was walking correctly (and a few trips to the bathroom I noticed I wasn't, even with a good effort). I got dizzy, and had to support myself with one hand on the wall when going to the bathroom to make sure I kept the floor dry. I could reach for a glass right in front of me and end up tapping it with my fingernails rather than grasping it in my hand. I did everything far, far more slowly than usual (or stumbled trying). And this was in a bar/club setting where drinks are ridiculously expensive. I could go to a liquor-licensed store and spend $10 and get absolutely shmammered. The amount of marijuana I would've had to smoke to come anywhere near that feeling would've cost me closer to $100. I would not carry a firearm in either case, but I would not carry a firearm if I had more than a couple drinks. I haven't smoked any weed since I was 18, but I do have fond memories, and I can say that with what I'd have typically smoked in a sitting would not be cause for me to worry. It just isn't depressive enough on me.

You'd have to enact some very troublesome legislation to regulate the use of any prescription in conjunction with having a CCW in your possession. Unfortunately, most prescription medications come with an array of side fx that will usually be felt as detrimental. So for me, it comes down to knowing your own abilities and limitations and responses to whatever drug(s) you may have to take.

Personally, I'd be more worried about someone who doubled their dose of Nyquil than someone who smoked a couple joints carrying a firearm off of their property, and I can still buy Nyquil OTC.

It's going to come down to personal response and tolerance every time. I don't think that can be legislated, and I don't think it should be.

Know yourself, I suppose.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 01:31:02 PM »
No, that's just describes 90% of people on WoW. Stoners on Non. Nothing like getting 20 minutes into a 40 man raid for your healer or tank to have to "go do something"
My main complaint with pot heads usually involves me (tanking) planning out the next hard pull, only to have a rogue or huntard auto run into a group of 15 or so bad guys, "My bad was hitting the bong."
Then he whines when I watch him die, "DUDE WTF DO YOUR JOB."
Pretty much solidifies my opinion on potheads.
Pot users?  Like I said, I know a few and are related to a couple.  They're cool people.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.