Author Topic: custom knifework?  (Read 812 times)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
custom knifework?
« on: June 03, 2010, 05:44:27 PM »
My girlfriend would love to get some old kitchen knives she has refinished.  She needs the wooden handles redone, like on the sides of this knife:

She thought possibly one of my "gun nut" friends might know, and heck, even if it's not a gun nut things, ya'll are so multitalented you might know someone or somewhere.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: custom knifework?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 06:43:31 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:13:31 AM »
Check with the "butchers" at your local grocery store, or with the kitchen wonks at a high-end restaurant near you.  They do a lot of knife work and need to get new handles regularly.  Warning - a lot of places will try to sell you a plastic-of-some-sort handle which will last just about forever but may not be what you want.  If you have a meat/poultry procesing plant they are even better for finding out who does the work.

Also, if it is brand name stuff, find customer service and ask them about replacing handles.  But be aware of stuff like this http://thecutcovectorknifetruth.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/warranty-on-lh.pdf .

Also see if this guy is still doing repairs http://www.stoneandsteel.net/services/knife-repair/ .

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 03:16:33 AM »
stabilized wood looks really nice. =)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 11:16:41 AM »
My girlfriend would love to get some old kitchen knives she has refinished.  She needs the wooden handles redone, like on the sides of this knife:

She thought possibly one of my "gun nut" friends might know, and heck, even if it's not a gun nut things, ya'll are so multitalented you might know someone or somewhere.

Asked a buddy of mine who does some knife stuff.  He claimed it was pretty easy.  Drill the pins, chuck the handle (unless you're refinishing it), slap on the new handle, re-pin.  He recommended Texas Knifemaker's Supply.  I gathered shaping the new handles was the very tricky part. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »
Yeah, sanding isn't "hard". Sanding to get exactly the shape or profile you want is.

Lots of opportunities here. You can make your own home-made micarta slabs out of linen and resin, then shape that. You can alternate colors of fabric etc. and create some really unique effects.

I promise not to duck.