Author Topic: Remember Angela Corey?  (Read 3860 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Remember Angela Corey?
« on: May 09, 2014, 01:21:15 AM »
The special prosecutor that was (almost) a hero of the racial justice-ism, because she bravely and courageously charged George "Lily-White" Zimmerman with murder?

Well, that doesn't seem to have made her immune from the race-baiting industry:

http://colorofchange.org/campaign/stopcorey/

:laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Remember Angela Corey?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 01:29:55 AM »
If the conviction was appealed and the woman was acquitted, how can Corey go after her again?

Does anybody have the back story on this?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 01:40:44 AM »
I think the page has just not been updated.

Oh, wait. I see the line to which you refer. Odd. Don't know anything about the case, so...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:44:36 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 02:09:37 AM »
Not acquitted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 02:11:26 AM »
She wasn't acquitted on appeal, the court found that the jury instructions were incorrect. So retrial.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-woman-who-fired-warning-shot-could-get-60-years/

I'm sure we've talked about this case here before. It's a hot mess.

ETA: also FL has mandatory sentencing for firing a gun in a crime. So the prison term is nonadjustable.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:14:32 AM by dogmush »

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 09:50:36 AM »
The interesting thing in some of the articles I've read about this case is that many people state that a conviction of Marissa Alexander would be a blow to the people's right to self defense...within a sentence or two of commenting how Zimmerman was wrongly acquitted in his case.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 11:05:53 AM »
she could take a plea and walk. i suspect she is consistent in her decision making skills
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 03:01:33 PM »
she could take a plea and walk. i suspect she is consistent in her decision making skills

No she couldn't. The LEAST sentence w/ plea that has been to see around is 3 years*.  And that was before Corey got involved.

State of Florida is pretty invested in her doing some time. I get the feeling her team is going for a jury nullification. I have no real idea how risky that mayor may not be, unlike our last two acquitted killers, the media seems nominally on her side.

*Which is a damn sight better than 60, I'll admit. 

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »
She's got 3 years in. Time served is a walk she's hoping to whack the piñata and get an acquittal . I suspect this is a bad decision like so many others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 03:53:06 PM »
Makes me wonder about the source of/quality of advice she is getting.  A good attorney would present reality to her, no matter how ugly, and not sell her the idea of jury nullification.  Odds of that are pretty slim.  Wonder if she's getting advice from a bunch of do-gooders who have nothing to lose in this case, and are pushing her to trial to "promote their agenda", when she has everything to lose.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

• friends
Re:
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 04:13:48 PM »
I have seen stupid folks ignore quality legal advice often. Myself amongst them.  Typically that means time

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 11:32:28 PM »
Some info from Legal Insurrection ...

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/07/the-marissa-alexander-case-wasnt-about-stand-your-ground-either/

"The essential facts of the Alexander case are as follows. She and her husband, Gray, were engaged in a heated verbal dispute in the presence of his two children. There seems to have been little if any physical confrontation, but whatever might have occurred was of a non-deadly nature. At some point Alexander walked past Gray and the children into the garage, where she obtained a gun. She then fired the gun at, or in the direction of, Gray and the two children."
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 04:38:11 PM »
Walking past your kids into the garage, then firing in their direction?

Why do I feel like I've commented on this case before
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

• friends
Re:
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 05:59:05 PM »
Yea. When she gets 60 years instead of 20 it should be a hoot

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 06:15:02 PM »
Don't fire a "warning shot"; it's never legal.  If it's the prudent thing to do anyway, like maybe to scare away a vicious dog, just say that you missed.  That *might* get you off on the "no harm, no foul" principal if taking a real shot could possibly be justified.  Cops miss all the time.  (obligatory "IANAL")

I am only minimally aware of the original case.
"It's good, though..."

• friends
Re:
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 06:36:18 PM »
She's bought the hype. She would be very wise to take a plea deal

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re:
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 07:21:24 PM »
Walking past your kids into the garage, then firing in their direction?

Why do I feel like I've commented on this case before

I read that as his kids, not necessarily hers.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re:
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 01:08:28 AM »
I read that as his kids, not necessarily hers.

Ditto.

I don't get the impression this was a classical "nuclear family."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design