Author Topic: A story about a computer that writes poetry  (Read 1317 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
A story about a computer that writes poetry
« on: June 14, 2009, 04:48:53 PM »
In high school, I read a short story about a guy who invented a poetry-writing computer.  I thought it was hilarious.  My favorite part was that he had to install an egocentric, self-regulating narcissitor, before he could get any good poetry out of it.  It was in a text book, and I photo-copied it, but I can't find it anymore. 

All I remember was that it was written by a European.  Hungarian?  Czech?  I don't remember.   =(

Does that ring a bell with anybody? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: A story about a computer that writes poetry
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 10:55:40 PM »
Isaac Asimov perhaps?  Or Stanislaw Lem's "Cyberiad"?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 11:51:36 PM »
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 01:08:29 AM »
The Cyberiad sounds really fascinating, but no.  It wasn't EPICAC, either.  I think if it was someone as well-known as Vonnegut or Asimov, I would have remembered. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 11:44:50 AM »
It was by Asimov.

I have it in a book of short stories at home. I'll get the name later today for you.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 07:38:47 PM »
Cal by Isaac Asimov.

It is the first story in his "Gold" collection of short stories.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:36:19 PM »
Thanks, but that's not it either.  The story is about an inventor that sets out to create a computer that can write poetry.  I think that's about the whole plot, just tracing how he builds the machine and how its poetry skills develop.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:09:47 PM »
Thanks, but that's not it either.  The story is about an inventor that sets out to create a computer that can write poetry.  I think that's about the whole plot, just tracing how he builds the machine and how its poetry skills develop.

Are you sure?

Plot is: Writer has a robot. The robot somehow has a desire to write. The writer brings in the creator of the robot and makes adjustments. The robot's first story is bad. More adjustments. Second story is better. More adjustments. Next story is even better. More adjustments. I won't reveal the end if you haven't read it, but good irony.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 10:15:08 PM »
I read the precis on Wikipedia.  The story I'm talking about had no mystery stories, and I'm pretty sure there was no murder.  I think the point of the story was to ridicule poets, mostly.   =)