Author Topic: Let's think through some ban scenarios  (Read 2901 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Let's think through some ban scenarios
« on: December 31, 2012, 04:52:26 AM »
First off, I'm not posting this in Politics and I hope it'll stay non-political. I want to think about the effects of a few of the most likely ban scenarios, not debate the likelihood of any of them.

That said, here are some of the facts at the moment. EBR's (esp AR's) had been becoming far more popular and accepted by the Fudd crowd for years. Everyone making a model, selling them in Walmart etc. With the recent ban talks, the internet sold out of everything: it's not as bad now but for over a week I literally couldn't find a single retailer who was not out of stock on any AK pattern rifle. I wasn't checking but I believe the same was more or less true of AR's. Any magazine over 10 rounds was basically sold out most places as well. Naturally prices skyrocket, doubling and tripling on rifles and going up even more on mags. I saw a 100 pack of pmags ($10 each the week before) sell for $7500. Ammo was pretty well cleaned out for the 5.56, 7.62x39 etc. So, a lot of new folks have EBR's, and a lot of folks who owned a couple before now own lots more. Many of them were bought at highly inflated prices.

Now, given that set of facts (and any others you care to present), what will the markets do in reaction to these scenarios?

1. DNC uses "compromise" on not pushing a ban or EO'ing anti-gun stuff to get the GOP to cave on fiscal cliff stuff. No change in gun laws.

2. No legislation gets through, but Obama EO expands the import ban. Not much changes for AR guys, but all the quality foreign ammo/rifles/mags dry up for the AK guys.

3. A mag capacity ban is passed, but nothing else.

4. A mag ban and import restrictions are put in place.

5. A more drastic ban is put in place, but one that is not so intolerable as to cause the frog to jump the pot.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Let's think through some ban scenarios
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 06:56:09 AM »
6. Magazine ban and no more private party sales, all transfers will have to go through an FFL.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:21:09 AM »
Maybe stop calling them ebr's.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 08:46:06 AM »
7. Registration of all firearms.  Market continues but with 10%-15% mark-up to cover cost of retailer completing registration documents.  Private sales prices increase proportinately.

7a. Registration of all semiautomatic rifles/registration of all semiautomatic firearms.  Same as above.

7b.  BATFEieio copies all existing 4473 forms and cross-checks against firearms registered.  Demands explanation of any not registered by person identified on 4473.  (For the sake of argument, ATF accepts "sold privately" and "lost in tragic boat accident".)  Market uneffected.

8. Making all items in #7a subject to NFA (additional registration and tax).  Buying dries up, for all intents and purposes.

9. Make possession of semiautomatic firearm a crime.  No registration - just an outright ban.  Feds give lip service to the Takings Clause and give out Wal-Mart cards for turning in your firearms.  What market.  No federal unemployment for workers thrown out of jobs, but lots of openings in Obama's Citizen Corps - or whatever the name of that was supposed to be.

9a.  Feds ignore Takings Clause.  No door-to-door searches but BATFEieio takes all existing 4473 forms and compares against firearms turned in.  Demands verification/proff of explanations such as "sold privately" or "lost in tragic boating accident".  Same as above.

9b. Door-to-door searches.  Market response cannot be stated in keeping with request to keep thread non-political.

Basically, I see the feds going as far as #8.   Reason cannot be stated in keeping with request to keep thread non-political.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 09:11:14 AM »
10. Attempt to ban semi-autos fails. As a "compromise", a value-added 20% "public safety" tax is put on guns, ammo, & accessories to fund increased school security (kiddie-TSA) & increased services for mental health (under Obamacare, of course). Over time, the tax money is diverted to everything but its intended goal, and the Feds call for a tax increase to cover the costs of the programs they aren't paying for. The tax goes to 30%, then 50%, etc. The Second Amendment is priced out of practice.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
A discussion about gun bans has no where to go but policital.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 12:42:23 PM »
If it's political, why is it open to comment?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 03:43:53 PM »
Only mods can post on a closed forum. Ml you're a mod.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »
But I wasn't saying anything of substance. ;)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 03:16:50 AM »
Ha!

My most probable scenario:

They will either NFA or out right ban possession of a fairly broad class of firearms based mostly on cosmetic features.
There will be no door to door confiscation.
An amnesty period will be given with severe penalties, (10 years & $10k is customery isnt it)imposed for noncompliance.
Anyone caught with contraband weapons will face stiff penalties but those willing to help by turning in any and all they know that also posses banned items will get a plea deal or possibly immunity. High rewards will be offered for turning in people with banned items. This will work surprisingly well.
A few well publicized, successful no-knock SWAT raids where the family poodle and the criminal in possession of a banned weapon are killed will help to bolster support and funding for even stronger enforcement measures.
Most Americans will go back to drinking beer and watching what ever sporting playoff is in season at the time.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 11:47:43 AM »
I was really sort of hoping folks would want to talk about the economic implications of the handful of scenarios I listed, rather than delve into the nigh infinite list of "wjat if's" surrounding the future.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 11:55:20 AM »

Now, given that set of facts (and any others you care to present), what will the markets do in reaction to these scenarios?

1. DNC uses "compromise" on not pushing a ban or EO'ing anti-gun stuff to get the GOP to cave on fiscal cliff stuff. No change in gun laws.

2. No legislation gets through, but Obama EO expands the import ban. Not much changes for AR guys, but all the quality foreign ammo/rifles/mags dry up for the AK guys.

3. A mag capacity ban is passed, but nothing else.

4. A mag ban and import restrictions are put in place.

5. A more drastic ban is put in place, but one that is not so intolerable as to cause the frog to jump the pot.

1. Higher taxes.  Less freedom in investments.  Possible attacks against precious metal investors.

2. AK's and SKS's get cheap.  When the trailer park gun millionaires with a duffel bag full of combloc rifles can't get their ammo, they'll want to switch to NATO chambered stuff (to shoot their car spoilers off)  [ar15] :rofl:

3. Largely ignored by most currently active gunnies.  I'm laying in several dozen extra mags so that I can provide them for people I trust later on.  Political efforts to repeal will amp up.  Economic effects will be marginal since mag capacity has little to do with economic issues.

4. Import restrictions on AK's and SKS's make them expensive, but import restrictions on Wolf/Tula/*Bear ammo will balance out that expense.  We might see Tula open a shop in the US to squeeze out steel/lacquer cased ammo domestically.

5. Ignored to deliberately spite the feds, enforcement puts many affluent and intelligent and successful people behind bars or in financial peril.  The economy suffers from a lack of intelligent people to drive it.  Atlas Shrugs because he can't hold the ball up while in prison.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »
My prediction:
Outright ban dies on the vine.  Maybe some versions get passed limiting FTF sales (so called "gun show loophole"), limiting or restricting ammo purchases is my biggest prediction (only licensed dealers, show ID, recording ammo sales over certain amount).
I had a realization that the NRA suggestions could be our worst enemy.  So a new bill comes down the pike to put armed officers in every school.....funded by taxes on firearms, accessories and ammunition.....
I also see the President being frustrated by Congress and even the Senate on passing any "meaningful" legislation, and using the BATFE to pass stiffer regulations, drive more FFL's out of business, and harass lawful gun owners.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 03:00:55 PM »
Wouldn't they have to repeal provisions of FOPA '86 to require logging ammo purchases?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 06:58:37 PM »
Wouldn't they have to repeal provisions of FOPA '86 to require logging ammo purchases?

Whats to stop them? Look what they did in response to all the US guns that were turning up in Mexico.... [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »
My prediction:
Outright ban dies on the vine.  Maybe some versions get passed limiting FTF sales (so called "gun show loophole"), limiting or restricting ammo purchases is my biggest prediction (only licensed dealers, show ID, recording ammo sales over certain amount).
I had a realization that the NRA suggestions could be our worst enemy.  So a new bill comes down the pike to put armed officers in every school.....funded by taxes on firearms, accessories and ammunition.....
I also see the President being frustrated by Congress and even the Senate on passing any "meaningful" legislation, and using the BATFE to pass stiffer regulations, drive more FFL's out of business, and harass lawful gun owners.

This, if however if the R's that can stop it do not really try, I am voting Libertarian from then on.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 09:49:23 PM »
Here's something I just thought of, I suppose it would be scenario 2a as it would fall under the EO type deal...

EO banning not just import of all arms, but also import of any materials for the purpose of manufacturing arms domestically.

Copper for making cartridge brass and jackets. Steel for barrels, parts and tooling (the high speed steel I used to make my lathe bits was made in India and China).

That could jack up the price significantly to the point where many manufacturers wouldn't be able to sustain their business model.

Oh, and here's a hypothetical that just ran through my head, I suppose you can file it under compromise. A constitutional amendment that clearly states that all citizens have the right to own and carry any long-arm in existence (including things like an M240B beltfed), open or concealed, anywhere. But no privately owned pistols. Do you support it?  [popcorn]

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 09:54:33 PM »
Oh, and here's a hypothetical that just ran through my head, I suppose you can file it under compromise. A constitutional amendment that clearly states that all citizens have the right to own and carry any long-arm in existence (including things like an M240B beltfed), open or concealed, anywhere. But no privately owned pistols. Do you support it?  [popcorn]

No. Not in a million years.  Shall not be infringed.

I'm now taking a more active role in various arguments with friends, using "disarmament" in place of gun control, and specifically making the point to anti's that they red to give reason why MY firearms need to be taken away.  The time for hypothetical is past.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »
The marketplace--white, black, or gray--will deal with the varieties of foolishness that come along.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »
Dear congressman,

MOLON LABE

=D j/k
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.