Author Topic: For the Veterans on here, Covid shots........  (Read 544 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
For the Veterans on here, Covid shots........
« on: March 22, 2021, 04:46:17 PM »
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/03/19/congress-passes-sweeping-new-rule-allowing-va-vaccinate-all-veterans-spouses.html?ESRC=mr_210322.nl

I thought this might interest the Vets on here who are wanting a shot.  I don't know the particulars of timing and all that, just thought I would share the article.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: For the Veterans on here, Covid shots........
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 07:01:45 PM »
Has this even passed the Senate yet?

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I am a veteran, and I got the vaccinations (both shots) in January, so it won't affect me. Beyond that, I am firmly on the fence. It sounds like a no-brainer that making the vaccine available to all veterans, not just those enrolled in VA Health Care, AND their spouses must be a good thing, right?

Except that those people are probably already eligible under at one or more other programs. Having been going to my local VA hospital for more than 20 years, and having gone through their COVID-19 vaccination program -- I don't see how they could possibly handle the added load of twice as many veterans PLUS spouses. The VA can't possibly vaccinate potentially three times the number of people they are currently planning to handle without three times as much vaccine. Where is that supposed to come from, and who is going to NOT get the doses that get diverted to the VA?

This is typical, liberal, feel-good legislation that makes for great sound bites but probably can't be implemented in the real world. But, by the time they figure out that it doesn't work, Biden will have scored the PR points and the media will have moved on, so there will be no follow-ups to report on the fact that the program was a flop, and that it totally screwed up the VA Health Care system.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 09:42:08 PM »
Has this even passed the Senate yet?

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I am a veteran, and I got the vaccinations (both shots) in January, so it won't affect me. Beyond that, I am firmly on the fence. It sounds like a no-brainer that making the vaccine available to all veterans, not just those enrolled in VA Health Care, AND their spouses must be a good thing, right?

Except that those people are probably already eligible under at one or more other programs. Having been going to my local VA hospital for more than 20 years, and having gone through their COVID-19 vaccination program -- I don't see how they could possibly handle the added load of twice as many veterans PLUS spouses. The VA can't possibly vaccinate potentially three times the number of people they are currently planning to handle without three times as much vaccine. Where is that supposed to come from, and who is going to NOT get the doses that get diverted to the VA?

This is typical, liberal, feel-good legislation that makes for great sound bites but probably can't be implemented in the real world. But, by the time they figure out that it doesn't work, Biden will have scored the PR points and the media will have moved on, so there will be no follow-ups to report on the fact that the program was a flop, and that it totally screwed up the VA Health Care system.

I agree completely Hawk.  I don't see enough efficiency at our local hospital to implement that kind of program.  Great PR though.  Biden is busy giving away Covid vaccines to other countries while promising a miracle here at home.  I don't see it happening.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 10:17:47 PM »
I just talked to a friend who works in IT for the big university hospital in the area. I know the local VA hospital draws its residents from the medical school at the university. My friend's guess is that the VA would have to contract with the university hospital to accommodate the additional number of patients if this scheme is going to have a chance of working.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 11:17:28 AM »
A story in our local news says the VA hospital near me is now giving shots to all enrolled Vets of any age. That was fast.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 11:43:22 AM »
I think the VA Health Care System got the vaccine (and perhaps is still getting the vaccine) sooner than the rest of the country. I got my first shot on January 9, a Saturday, which means I got the call that I could get it early in the week prior -- so around January 4 or 5. As far as I know, none of the regular hospitals even knew when they might start to receive the vaccine by then.

This, of course, was also when the media were claiming that the Trump administration didn't have a plan for distributing the vaccine.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 10:23:27 PM »
The bill I referenced above was signed into law today.  All veterans, spouses and dependents can now get Covid shots through the VA.