Author Topic: On pain and feeling good...  (Read 2293 times)

Preacherman

On pain and feeling good...
« on: August 18, 2005, 05:22:56 PM »
If you've never experienced chronic, continuous pain, this post probably won't make much sense - but if you have, you'll know where I'm coming from.

I'm feeling almost deliriously happy tonight, because I've just got a TENS unit on trial (one of those mini-electric-shock thingumajigs that sends electric pulses to the muscles and nerves), and for the first time in over 18 months, I'm actually able to sit down and type this without being constantly nagged by pain.  It feels WONDERFUL!!!

I suffered nerve damage to the sciatic nerves in left and right legs when I injured my back in February last year.  As most of you know, I had two surgeries resulting from that injury, ending up with spinal fusion in March this year.  However, the nerve pain from my left leg in particular, and my right leg to a lesser extent, has been 24/7/365 since the injury, at a steady level (on a scale of 1 low to 10 high) of 3-4, spiking to 6-8 if I did something silly like try to walk more than 50-100 yards.

Well, this TENS unit has really, really helped (so far).  My constant pain level has been cut in half, to 1-2, which is much, much easier to live with than the higher level.  It climbs up, of course, but then I switch on the machine again, and that takes it down.  I may have to wear a TENS unit on my waistband for a long time, but that sure beats the alternative!  I still have to be careful (if I walk more than 100 yards, my leg pain is going to get worse, whether I like it or not, and irrespective of any TENS unit), but for just being able to sit without so much pain, I'm profoundly grateful.

As for sleeping, I'm looking forward to seeing how tonight goes.  Up till now, I've been sleeping two to three times a day, as after two or three hours, pain and stiffness in my left leg and hip have always woken me up.  I'll give myself a good treatment with the TENS machine before I sleep tonight, and see if it lets me sleep for a longer period.  Here's hoping!
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 05:53:08 PM »
Sounds like a wonderful machine, hope it works as well as you hope.

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 05:58:05 PM »
Glad to hear that very good news. I have had some back problems (not nearly as serious as what you're talking about) and can relate to the relief when the pain eases up.

Hopefully you will see the humor in this: I've never heard of a device like that. So when I read that you wore  it on your belt, my first image was Preacherman going for his gun in some dire circumstance, and instead hitting the button on the TENS unit. The bad guy would be confused by his victim getting a smile on his face and saying ahhhh, that feels good. Sorry if that is insensitive, the dentist just finished using some machinery on my tooth and I think he shook my brain a little too much. Smiley
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Preacherman

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 06:04:32 PM »
Griz, I like your mental picture... cheesy

For those who don't know the TENS unit, a brief explanation from WebMD:
Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation therapy, more commonly referred to as TENS, uses electrical stimulation to diminish pain. During the procedure, low-voltage electrical current is delivered through electrodes that are placed on the skin near the source of pain. The electricity from the electrodes stimulates the nerves in an affected area and sends signals to the brain that "scramble" normal pain signals, offering short-term pain relief. While effective in the short-term, long-term effectiveness of TENS remains questionable.
One example of a TENS unit can be seen at http://www.isokineticsinc.com/category/pr_tens/product/cg_77600 if you're interested.  Mine is similar.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 06:09:29 PM »
Wow, that's smaller than I imagined it. If they shrink at a little you wouldn't even notice it in your pocket. And I'm glad they called it TENS so I don't have to remeber Transcutaneous.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 06:14:36 PM »
I wrote marketing and advertising copy for Medtronic TENS units in 1982. They sounded like truly nifty gadgets.

This is the first time I've heard good things about them from an end user. For all I'd heard in the intervening years, they'd fallen off the face of the earth.

I hope the gadget does the trick and keeps doing it for you!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 06:22:54 PM »
I had one of those used on me back in '96 when a fell off a ladder at work and badly twisted an ankle, resulting in deep, ugly brusing on the calf muscle.  Worked pretty well to exercise the muscle and aid in removing the dead blood cells and debris, but was never used for pain reduction.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 08:42:29 PM »
If you've never experienced chronic, continuous pain, this post probably won't make much sense - but if you have, you'll know where I'm coming from.
Yep, I do.  2 months of painful breathing after piling my bike into a tree at a high rate of speed.  Ended with bronchitis, bordering on pneumonia or some other nasty breathing disease.

Glad to see you are feeling much better.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 11:49:28 AM »
Preach,
Glad to here there is something out there to help make you feel better.  

You've done a lot to help many of us in the same way.  Your advice, humor, wackiness, knowledge etc has been great.  You've been fun to have around.

Dominus Vobiscum, Padre.

grampster
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 06:16:21 PM »
Preach,

I've got one of my own, very similar to the one you have pictured, and while I don't need it as often as before, I'm very glad to have it.  I just wish I could use it on my neck, too.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 06:24:11 PM »
I'm glad it's working for you. I have a cousin-in-law who has worn one off and on for several years following a couple of serious wrecks and I myself have spent many hours on e-stimulation during knee rehab.

Anything that can ease pain without medication that could overwhelm you is a marvel.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein