Author Topic: Fax from computer?  (Read 2871 times)

Paddy

Fax from computer?
« on: August 20, 2005, 06:40:17 AM »
Is there a fax function in XP or a way to fax a Word document from my computer?
When I had Win98 I used to do it but don't remember what software I used.  It looked great on the receiving end, like it came off a printer because it wasn't scanned on the sending end.

DigMe

Fax from computer?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 07:45:35 AM »
If you can't figure anything out there are some various faxing services on the internet.  Haven't used them but I'm aware of them.  

Here are a couple of links that google turned up:
http://www.fax4free.com/home.asp

http://www.trustfax.com/free_trial_30day.asp?code=google

I cannot vouch for either of them.

brad cook

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Fax from computer?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 08:06:14 AM »
I don't know about anyone else, but Brother has a pretty decent fax machine for around $50. and can regularly be found on sale.   Multifunction devices are cool, but I have always thought computers were pretty nifty as computers but are lacking when it comes to things like telephony, faxes, stereo conversion units, and the like.  I'll just say "I've never been satisfied with those results".

That's not to say it can't be done, but for the cost of a flatbed scanner you can have a couple of decent fax machines.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Fax from computer?
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 08:11:52 AM »
Go to the help thingy, and type in Fax.  It'll give you directions on how to install it (looks like it doesn't install when you install Windows, you have to add it in later).
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Fax from computer?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 09:52:30 AM »
Here's the relevant section of the XP help file

Using Fax

Fax provides you with complete fax facilities from your computer. You can configure fax settings, send and receive faxes, track and monitor fax activity, and access archived faxes. Using Fax, you can choose to send and receive faxes with a local fax device attached to your computer, or with a remote fax device connected to fax resources located on a network.

Fax is not installed by default during Windows Setup.

To install the Fax component
Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
In the Windows Components Wizard, select the Fax Services check box, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
 Notes

To open Fax after installation, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Fax Console.

For more information on using Fax, click Help in Fax Console.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Fax from computer?
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 09:53:08 AM »
If you run a linux box on your network, a hardware fax modem and some free (as in "free beer") software will cure what ails you.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

caseydog

• friend
Fax from computer?
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 12:06:22 PM »
To add to what BryanP gave you , once you have it installed it puts a printer in your printers folder called "fax" , just choose to print to that printer from Word or whatever app you want when you want to fax the document, this will launch the "send fax wizard" and walk you through it from there.

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

Paddy

Fax from computer?
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 12:39:07 PM »
THANK YOU!  You guys are awesome.  I found fax and installed it, but can't seem to send a fax. Getting the message 'no dial tone'.  Could it be because I'm on DSL?

caseydog

• friend
Fax from computer?
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 12:49:05 PM »
Yea Riley , fax requires a regular old phone modem , which you seem to have installed if you get the "no dial tone" message, you just need to hook up your 56k modem to a phone jack , of course it will need a line filter too if your DSL system uses them on the other "voice" phones.

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Fax from computer?
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 03:48:10 PM »
Yep, can't fax over broadband.  Just install a modem and connect to your phone line, and use it only for faxing.  Shouldn't interfere with your internet.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Paddy

Fax from computer?
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 09:59:25 AM »
OK, I did it, thanks to your help.  Plugged in a second line cord to the filter and connected it to the modem in the computer.  I can make my cellphone ring, so the connection works.  From within Word, I go to File, Print, Fax (instead of the default printer, LaserJet 1020).  Click OK, the Send Fax Wizard comes up.  Type in the information (recipient and fax no.), click 'Next'.  Cover page information comes up. Click 'Next'.  Preview.  Whoops, there's a formatting problem.  One page original becomes two.  It must be because Irfanview is the default for *.tif files.
Going back to the help menu for faxes.................

Paddy

Fax from computer?
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 10:08:46 AM »
Ok. Solved it.  Opened Irfanview Options, unchecked as default for *.tif files.  The fax preview now defaults to the Microsoft Image Viewer.

Many thanks to all for your help and patience.  I'll send a test fax over to SWMBO's work and we'll go check on it later today. Smiley