Author Topic: White House on Gun Control Sprint  (Read 2724 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
White House on Gun Control Sprint
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:23:12 AM »
At least so reads the headline on Fox News. It will be interesting to see if the "debt crisis" actually pushes gun control talks out. The worrisome part of the story was the mention of Executive Orders. I almost want Congress to talk about this now versus pushing it out in order to avoid any Executive Orders.

This week I started reading Essential Liberty by Rob Olive, and some of the stuff in this work of fiction is scarily similar to language in a couple of news articles I read today. Like using the term "collection" instead of "confiscation".

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/08/white-house-ramps-up-talks-on-gun-control-measures/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
Re: White House on Gun Control Sprint
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »
The abuse of Executive Orders is something the GOP should have addressed some time ago.  Obviously, it strikes at the heart of the viability of our governance system.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:40:58 AM »
The abuse of Executive Orders is something the GOP should have addressed some time ago.  Obviously, it strikes at the heart of the viability of our governance system.

The GOP has long held the belief that its great if their side can use it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:47:10 AM »
Voting for the establishment parties has become a gypsy game.

Heads they win tails we lose.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:31:39 PM »
The GOP has long held the belief that its great if their side can use it.

That's it.  They played the card too, just not as well or viciously.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »
When did we last declare War?  Have we fought any since then...except the War on Some Drugs?

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 07:37:02 PM »
When did we last declare War?  Have we fought any since then...except the War on Some Drugs?

Congress explicitly authorized the invasion of Iraq & Afghanistan and funded it. Congress also explicitly authorized use of force to push Iraq out of Kuwait. I consider that a pretty honest and constitutional "declaration of war"; passing a "declaration of war" piece of paper is just semantics.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:32:13 AM »
Watching CNN this morning, and they attributed a statement to Biden saying that the administration is looking into options for both Executive Orders and legilsation.  Time for me to brush up on the law of executive orders...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:47:57 AM »
Watching CNN this morning, and they attributed a statement to Biden saying that the administration is looking into options for both Executive Orders and legilsation.  Time for me to brush up on the law of executive orders...

EOs can't trump Constitution, law or case law. They're last priority. As they're SUPPOSED to be orders on how to enforce existing legislation or general executive branch functionality.

So, as a magistrate, feel free to overturn any EO if it conflicts with higher law.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »
The President can write all the Executive Orders he wants to.  But in practice, there has to already be a law in place that gives him the authority for whatever action he is ordering.  He legally can not choose to not enforce an existing law, but he did that with "immigration".  He can try to create his own laws, but he can not create a law and it will be challenged by the courts.  We saw where that went with Obama Care....  it's not a tax....  law pases....  oh, it is a tax.....  US Supreme Court ruled that it was a tax and hence constitutional.  The law would not likely have passed if it was a "tax" in the first place. The part that really irritates me is that Biden and Obama are threatening executive action on gun control nationwide.  It is a another lever to push legislation.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 02:55:29 PM »
The truth is that neither Congressional legislation nor Presidential Executive Orders are going to matter that much any more.  Both require governance with representation and credibility.  And those days are fading fast.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 04:09:22 PM »
The truth is that neither Congressional legislation nor Presidential Executive Orders are going to matter that much any more.  Both require governance with representation and credibility.  And those days are fading fast.
Credibility is unimportant to those who command those with the guns.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »
Statement From the National Rifle Association of America Regarding Today's White House Task Force Meeting

Posted on January 10, 2013
Print Email Share

Fairfax, Va. – The National Rifle Association of America is made up of over 4 million moms and dads, daughters and sons, who are involved in the national conversation about how to prevent a tragedy like Newtown from ever happening again. We attended today's White House meeting to discuss how to keep our children safe and were prepared to have a meaningful conversation about school safety, mental health issues, the marketing of violence to our kids and the collapse of federal prosecutions of violent criminals.

We were disappointed with how little this meeting had to do with keeping our children safe and how much it had to do with an agenda to attack the Second Amendment. While claiming that no policy proposals would be “prejudged,” this Task Force spent most of its time on proposed restrictions on lawful firearms owners - honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans. It is unfortunate that this Administration continues to insist on pushing failed solutions to our nation's most pressing problems. We will not allow law-abiding gun owners to be blamed for the acts of criminals and madmen. Instead, we will now take our commitment and meaningful contributions to members of congress of both parties who are interested in having an honest conversation about what works - and what does not.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 06:18:44 PM »
Shocked I say, shocked
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 07:07:07 PM »
Shocked I say, shocked

At least the NRA said what needed to be said: This ISN'T a conversation, this is a grab.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 07:11:30 PM »
An interesting response from Wyoming. It will be interesting to see if other states sign on:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/01/10/Wyoming-Lawmakers-To-Federal-Gun-Grabbers-Don-t-Tread-On-Us
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 08:35:11 PM »
Chest beating and pandering.

Time to make sure you KNOW who your friends are.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 09:49:04 PM »
At least the NRA said what needed to be said: This ISN'T a conversation, this is a grab.

It is an attempted grab.  There is no conversation which is why the pro-gun groups were not invited to contribute to the discussions at an early stage.  Once the new actions (legislation and perhaps EO's), the President will say that all views were heard when in fact their ears were closed to listening to rational discussions about a very important thing, the 2nd Amendment to the Constitutional.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 09:54:45 PM »
Slingshot, would that be the morning constitutional or one later in the day?   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 09:59:48 PM »
I saw somewhere the EO's would be along the lines of actually prosecuting those who lie on the 4473 and such.  When I saw the list I chuckled because everything was already illegal and should be prosecuted.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 09:15:58 AM »
Why is nobody bringing up the Gun Free Drug Free school zones act, and how all those feel-good white signs posted at our schools already failed to stop any shootings? As far as I'm concerned, there is no room for any more Federal gun control regarding school shootings. They already had their shot, had their bill, and made guns illegal in schools. They can't even add any more gun control to schools. They can only use the schools as an excuse to pass gun control overall, which is of course what they are trying to do.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine