Author Topic: Opening wine bottles  (Read 8653 times)

LawDog

• friend
Opening wine bottles
« on: May 01, 2005, 06:17:39 PM »
Whilst paging through an old book researching something else, I came across a reference to opening a bottle of wine with a red-hot iron and a piece of string.

Teoma and Google can't find anything regarding this.

This is totally new to me.  Does anyone here know of this method for opening wine?

LawDog

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Opening wine bottles
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 06:23:22 PM »
i've read of using burning string to cut a bottle by quenching it after flaming it

http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/bottle.htm

readymade magazine had this recipe:
Ingredients:
+ glass bottle
+ large bucket full of cold water
+ kerosene or lighter fluid

Tools:
+ cotton string, roughly the thickness of yarn
+ matches or lighter
+ protective goggles
+ wooden spoon
+ work gloves
+ emery paper

1. Fill bucket with cold water at least as deep as the bottle.
2. Dip a piece of cotton string in the kerosene and squeese it until it no longer drips.
3. Tie the string tightly around the jug.
4. Put on the goggles and light the string in several places.
5. Immediately when the string has finished burning, submerge the bottle in the cold water.
6. Remove the bottle and tap away the last pieces remaining with the wooden spoon.
7. Sand the bottom with the emery paper until it's no longer sharp.

i would not try this on a full bottle though

unless you were trapped on an island with a case of wine
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Opening wine bottles
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 06:31:10 PM »
It was/is common to open bottles of port by using a red hot tongs that fit around the bottle neck. The neck is grabbed below the cork, allowed to heat, and then quenched. This was done to keep from disturbing the sediment layers in the bottle.

http://www.intowine.com/port3.html

They have instructions for using the tongs, and pictures, about half way down on this site.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Zundfolge

• friend
Opening wine bottles
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 06:43:06 PM »
EDIT: Darnit ... instaposted by Tuttle and Irwin Tongue

I know of a method of opening a wine bottle with a heat source and a pair of tongs (actually its an old method of opening a bottle of port port)

I'm not sure how the string method would work (maybe strong wire that can take a lot of heat but not string).

Anyway you heat the tongs to a glow, then clamp them around the bottle (just below the cork) ... turn the bottle carefully to heat all the way around the neck of the bottle, then remove the tongs and either rub an ice-cube around the heated area or use a cold wet rag and you'll hear a click ... thats the bottle breaking in a clean line. Remove the top of the bottle along with the cork.

Since Port is one of those wines that you tend to want to age (more then say a Merlot) if its real old the cork will probably be brittle and just crumble when you try to corkscrew it out.

A goggle search on "Port Tongs" or "Bottle Tongs" should corroborate my story Smiley

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Opening wine bottles
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 04:37:18 AM »
Here in Indiana we just twist off the cap or put the spout in the box!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Opening wine bottles
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 07:15:24 AM »
Now I may get kidded about being from the South, not having any "couth". And there may be truth to the rumor I had a problem with a Annie Green Spring - or was that Boone's Farm - whatever- bottle back in HS...you try opeing one in a Jesus Bus...nevermind....

Now I had been sober for quite awhile. During the holidays we had a Store Party. I snatched the expensive Bottle of wine out of the Boss's wife's hands. She was using a steak knife and attempting to "dig " the cork out.  *horrors*

While she telling off on me to her husband - My Boss - who hopefully had my bonus check in his pocket; I head out to my  truck and get my Swiss Army Knife - it has a corkscrew.

I was the offical wine, champagne "cork un-doer"  [ her words, and they belonged to a Country Club].

I also won a $50 bet that night that I could open 3 bottles of Korbel and one bottle of Dom Peri....and NOT "pop the cork" across the room ( one light fixture had been taken out already by the Boss).

I may be uncouth, I may not drink, I did remember some old "skills" and most likely the only one that remembered the party the next day.

Now I have seen the Tongs used, facinating and the lady was quite "artistic" about it. Educational.  I never tried it as I noticed it took a knack.  I could see me busting glass and ruining some expensive wines...

DigMe

Opening wine bottles
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 07:58:59 AM »
Quote from: sm
I was the offical wine, champagne "cork un-doer"  [ her words, and they belonged to a Country Club].

I also won a $50 bet that night that I could open 3 bottles of Korbel and one bottle of Dom Peri....and NOT "pop the cork" across the room ( one light fixture had been taken out already by the Boss).
Since when do you use a corkscrew to open a champagne bottle?!  How does that even work?

The proper way to open champagne without the cork flying across the place is by putting a cloth napkin or dish towel over the cork and slowly working it out.

brad cook

DigMe

Opening wine bottles
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 08:02:01 AM »
This is my favorite method of opening a wine bottle by the way and I'll never be without one in my home from now on if I can help it!  It's so fast and easy.  It's called the rabbit but I have a generic version that I got from Marshall's or Ross (don't remember) for 7 bucks that works great.

brad cook

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Opening wine bottles
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 08:37:51 AM »
Quote from: DigMe
The proper way to open champagne without the cork flying across the place is by putting a cloth napkin or dish towel over the cork and slowly working it out.

brad cook
I use a towel to hold the cork and slowly twist the bottle. We always call it the Cary Grant method because we had the same problem with the cork going flying, saw Cary Grant do the twist method in a movie and tried it, it worked saved a many light bulbs, windows, cats and people every since then. Still get the nice pop sound though.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

LawDog

• friend
Opening wine bottles
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 09:19:01 AM »
Thanks guys.  The red-hot tongs seem to match what I was reading.

Well, going to have to try this one.  Cheesy

LawDog

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Opening wine bottles
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 09:24:11 AM »
at my tour of Domaine Chandon's sparkling winery
we were schooled in riddling, punts and un corking

any method that results in a big bang is wasting bubbles that should be in the glass

hold the cork
twist the bottle
and wiggle
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Opening wine bottles
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 10:03:31 AM »
Quote: "Since when do you use a corkscrew to open a champagne bottle?!  How does that even work?"

When the Boss's wife and and another female employee has mangaged to cut the top off with a steak knife. Leaves one with ragged remains level to glass portionof bottle.

I had to Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome. *grin*

And folks said I needed to quit drinking back in the day when I was active.  *shrug*

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Opening wine bottles
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 10:38:15 AM »
I don't know to much about opening wine and champagne bottles. Except Peach Oscar, once uncaged  they would often open themselves with just a tiny bit of agitation.

Now, I do know you can open a can of pork and beans with a 12gauge, if you are careful. Should work just fine for a wine bottle also, as long as your aim is good! Tongue

bob

P95Carry

Opening wine bottles
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 11:10:13 AM »
Wine bottle - a neck shot with a .22 does it - just fine. Cheesy

Somewhere have a deal a bit like Brad's - uses leverage principles.  I did too tho long ago have a pump thingie - poke very sharp needle thru cork - pump until cork comes out..  Very good until you use it on a bottle that has an invisible stress line down the neck - don't ask!
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

DigMe

Opening wine bottles
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 11:13:40 AM »
The rabbit style opener is just so much faster than any other small opener anyway...if you drink wine at all it's worth it IMO.

brad cook

Opening wine bottles
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 11:47:47 AM »
I have an PhD in how to open beer cans if you don't have a "church key".

In case we ever need to discuss  how we opened them old steel cans before pull tabs...

Probably end up in a "Flathead vs Phillips" Screwdriver argument tho"...*hic*

Happy Bob

• friend
Opening wine bottles
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005, 05:39:14 PM »
LawDog,
Well, going to have to try this one.
Be sure to give us a range report.  Wink

I just use a waiter's corkscrew for still wines and a dish towel for sparkling ones.
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)

LawDog

• friend
Opening wine bottles
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 08:25:01 AM »
Okay, this is cool!  Pulled off just right, it's impressive as hell.

Y'all forgot to tell me to check for seams, though.

LawDog

Strings

Opening wine bottles
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 06:20:06 PM »
Why do I suddenly think videos of LawDog trying this would have been hysterical? Not to mention potentially profitting?

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Opening wine bottles
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 02:26:16 AM »
Could some armed polite socailite post photos?

Uh... please?

And, by the way, old boy, do you know the Bishop of Norwich? Cheesy

Thanx,
- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Opening wine bottles
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2005, 11:02:00 PM »
Why play around with string?  Be flashy and CHOP it open...

http://www.netsword.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000198.html

lpl/nc

LawDog

• friend
Opening wine bottles
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2005, 09:33:43 AM »
LawDog:  "What's the cheapest wine you've got that comes in glass bottles?"

Boozeria Clerk:  "What?"

LD:  "I need a wine in a glass bottle."

BC:  "Umm...Okay.  Maddog?"

LD:  "Hmm.  I don't think the neck is long enough.  What else do you have?"

BC(w/ odd look):  "How about Thunderbird?"

LD:  "Cool!  Let me have a case."

Plainsclothes ABC agent walks into boozeria.

BC:  "A what?"

LD(patiently):  "Let me have.  A case.  Of Thunderbird.  Evening, Frank."

PA:  "Heya, 'Dog.  You know, there are easier ways to off yourself."

BC:  "Yeah, and he wants them in glass bottles.  With long necks."

PA:  "Planning on paying off some Mexican hitmen?"

BC:  "I don't know about this."

PA:  "I wouldn't get worried unless he asks you to sell him a wombat.  Or lime jell-o."

LD:  "Smart-ass.  I'm going to open the bottles with a red-hot iron."

PA:  "You know they invented screw-tops for people like you?"

*sigh*

It went downhill from there.

The iron trick works a treat, though.

Now I gotta find something cheap w/ a cork to try the sword trick on...

LawDog

Myself

• friend
Opening wine bottles
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2005, 05:35:41 PM »
Last New Years I saw a show on how to open a champane bottle with a sword.  You glide the sword up the neck along the seam and strike a firm blow to the underside of the glass rim.  It worked very well.  No spray, or much waste of gas.  When using a heavy kitchen knife they recomended using the back edge of the blade.

Very clean but it left a sharp rim around the outside of the bottle.  Be careful.