Author Topic: Stumping Politicians  (Read 1018 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Stumping Politicians
« on: February 21, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »
I happened to attend an event in which a candidate for congress spoke to a small group of very friendly to him people.  Among other things, he expressed a plan to increase the minimum wage.  To what was unsaid. During an individual meet and greet/QA, I got to ask him a followup question. 

'How will a minimum wage program account for the difference in the cost of living between Manhattan and rural New York?'
'That is a really good question; I'm not an economist. I'd like to have a non-partisan group of economic experts look into issues like that and present solutions that are implemented outside of politics.'

I'm sure with this group the feeling of being the only sane person in the room is something we have all experienced.  Given that I would probably have to surrender my plate of Hors d'oeuvres if I did something rude, I moved aside for the next person to speak and shake hands rather than rail into him about passing policies to feel and sound good rather than caring about actual impact; and the rampant hostility to the entire notion of a representative democracy in this notion of creating an unaccountable bureaucracy to make the real decisions.

I know with my wife's family I've given a few lectures on how that and similar policies actually deepen the poverty pit, making it harder for folks to escape it... which increases reliance on gov, which expands gov, which increases reliance on gov, which ect ect.  I generally get thoughtful agreement at the time, but group think brainwashing back to the status quo by the time the next family event rolls around.   :facepalm:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Stumping Politicians
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 01:32:42 PM »
I know with my wife's family I've given a few lectures on how that and similar policies actually deepen the poverty pit, making it harder for folks to escape it... which increases reliance on gov, which expands gov, which increases reliance on gov, which ect ect.  I generally get thoughtful agreement at the time, but group think brainwashing back to the status quo by the time the next family event rolls around. 

You middle initial is "C." and it stands for Cassandra.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:57:54 PM »
The big problem with politicians on a stump is that it is much harder to kick a stump out from under them than it is a chair.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:17:41 PM »
I am sad...I thought this thread was going to have something to do with politicians and a stump remover.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
I'm more disappointed as I thought he was going to turn a politician into a stump. :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 07:16:10 AM »
I'm more disappointed as I thought he was going to turn a politician into a stump. :P

Or lop off some limbs.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 10:35:02 AM »
I am sad...I thought this thread was going to have something to do with politicians and a stump remover.

Stump removal.   The 3 obvious suggestions would probably be flagged by our surveillance overlords as terrrristic.  In context.  Mods use your discretion.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 10:56:15 AM »
Stump removal.   The 3 obvious suggestions would probably be flagged by our surveillance overlords as terrrristic.  In context.  Mods use your discretion.

No, no, no. This is APS, there is only one proper response.

Detcord.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?