Author Topic: China Game-ifies Good Citizenship  (Read 1333 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
China Game-ifies Good Citizenship
« on: December 16, 2015, 09:27:53 PM »
How do you think your citizenship score would be? The USA tradition (in some theories) tends more towards the best citizens making the most 'trouble' for the 'establishment.' 

https://youtu.be/lHcTKWiZ8sI
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: China Game-ifies Good Citizenship
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 01:19:05 AM »
A little more on "Sesame Credit":

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-34592186

The BBC article downplays the "obedient citizen" angle of the social credit score.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 10:40:15 AM »
Putting the more Orwellian and Authoritarian attributes of this Chinese implementation aside, some have speculated that a post-scarcity or near-post-scarcity society that has deflated money out of existence due to unlimited material wealth, and all physical needs being met around the world, might move to a reputation-based currency because the only scarcity left would be kindness, helpfulness, and artistic expression, and the only physical scarcity would be things like ocean and mountain views, apartment buildings with good views, or the sunny side of the building, or proximity to cultural centers, or seclusion at desireable places in the wilderness.

Kind of like Reddit "gold" from people who like or appreciate your posts. The likes you get on Facebook, but added into real-world transactions, like an art piece you made, an author, gourmet cooking not done by robot, or well.. probably not shoveling your elderly neighbor's driveway, but their robot snowblower got stuck, and they're too small/frail to move it, so you run out in boots and bathrobe to unstick it, and she zaps you $5 in internet smiley gold as thanks.

I promise not to duck.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 12:51:02 PM »
Putting the more Orwellian and Authoritarian attributes of this Chinese implementation aside, some have speculated that a post-scarcity or near-post-scarcity society that has deflated money out of existence due to unlimited material wealth, and all physical needs being met around the world, might move to a reputation-based currency because the only scarcity left would be kindness, helpfulness, and artistic expression, and the only physical scarcity would be things like ocean and mountain views, apartment buildings with good views, or the sunny side of the building, or proximity to cultural centers, or seclusion at desireable places in the wilderness.

Kind of like Reddit "gold" from people who like or appreciate your posts. The likes you get on Facebook, but added into real-world transactions, like an art piece you made, an author, gourmet cooking not done by robot, or well.. probably not shoveling your elderly neighbor's driveway, but their robot snowblower got stuck, and they're too small/frail to move it, so you run out in boots and bathrobe to unstick it, and she zaps you $5 in internet smiley gold as thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whuffie
There's a science fiction novel featuring this.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 06:04:39 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whuffie
There's a science fiction novel featuring this.

I was thinking of just that story. Cory Doctorow is a bit to Libertarian Left, something I find to be oxymoronic, so I didn't feel like giving him the bump.  =D
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 09:49:24 AM »
I think our politicians are reading this about China and nodding their heads . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 07:59:32 PM »
I was thinking of just that story. Cory Doctorow is a bit to Libertarian Left, something I find to be oxymoronic, so I didn't feel like giving him the bump.  =D

I've read a couple of his books... He's becoming more and more Occupy Wall Street. Not exactly subtle about it either, it was the entirely point of one of his books that OWS was America's only salvation. He's not libertarian left, he's quasi anarchist left.

More power to him if he can make money from that crowd. He's an ok but not great writer. He leans too hard on the message fic, even message fic I happen to agree with, to be a good writer. Good guys are Good even if they're terrible people by objective standards. Bad Guys (ie anyone who works for the government, a company or IP holder) are Bad because they are Bad, and have no motivation other than being Bad. All cops are bad, period. All government employees are drooling to torture innocent left leaning individuals. All corporate IP is bad, and people are stupid for consuming any IP that isn't creative commons. Rich are bad, always. Corporations are totally bad, man. Drugs and vegetarianism are awesome. Blah blah blah

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 09:31:14 PM »
I've read a couple of his books... He's becoming more and more Occupy Wall Street. Not exactly subtle about it either, it was the entirely point of one of his books that OWS was America's only salvation. He's not libertarian left, he's quasi anarchist left.

More power to him if he can make money from that crowd. He's an ok but not great writer. He leans too hard on the message fic, even message fic I happen to agree with, to be a good writer. Good guys are Good even if they're terrible people by objective standards. Bad Guys (ie anyone who works for the government, a company or IP holder) are Bad because they are Bad, and have no motivation other than being Bad. All cops are bad, period. All government employees are drooling to torture innocent left leaning individuals. All corporate IP is bad, and people are stupid for consuming any IP that isn't creative commons. Rich are bad, always. Corporations are totally bad, man. Drugs and vegetarianism are awesome. Blah blah blah

Gets bloody old from people that you'd otherwise consider intelligent.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.