Author Topic: NTSB releases findings on 747 Bagram crash  (Read 1026 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: NTSB releases findings on 747 Bagram crash
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 12:37:50 PM »
First time I saw that video.

It screamed out "COG out of whack!" to me, but the report also cites, in addition to COG shift, damage to hydraulics and H-stab.

FTR, I am the paranoid guy who ties down loads so securely that my wife and FIL usually just cut my lines when she arrives with a load of something or other in the truck.  Whatever.  It really is not that bad if you use my quick-release knots.  In any case, I am going to make damn good and sure stuff is secured against any reasonable eventuality, save maybe high-speed collision.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »
That's just freaky watching that. Frightening, even, being reminded of all that can go wrong.

FTR, I am the paranoid guy who ties down loads so securely that my wife and FIL usually just cut my lines when she arrives with a load of something or other in the truck.  Whatever.  It really is not that bad if you use my quick-release knots.  In any case, I am going to make damn good and sure stuff is secured against any reasonable eventuality, save maybe high-speed collision.

Man after my own heart.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 02:23:17 PM »
First time I saw that video.

It screamed out "COG out of whack!" to me, but the report also cites, in addition to COG shift, damage to hydraulics and H-stab.

FTR, I am the paranoid guy who ties down loads so securely that my wife and FIL usually just cut my lines when she arrives with a load of something or other in the truck.  Whatever.  It really is not that bad if you use my quick-release knots.  In any case, I am going to make damn good and sure stuff is secured against any reasonable eventuality, save maybe high-speed collision.

Me too, but I have a ginormous bag of NRS straps for that purpose so nobody has to cut anything.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 11:05:16 PM »
Friend of mine that works for Boeing worked on that investigation.  The MRAP's (or whatever they were) that broke loose were not supposed to be airlifted by the 747 at all.  The ones that broke loose actually did so around or before rotation based on debris found in the runway.  They were *expletive deleted*ed before they even got their wheels off the ground.
Formerly sumpnz

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 11:18:21 AM »
...In any case, I am going to make damn good and sure stuff is secured against any reasonable eventuality, save maybe high-speed collision.

Cargo straps, chains, or ropes still in the side box are not helpfull when things go rodeo.  The only good thing to be said about my major crash is that unloading the trailer was a routine matter of unstrapping and forklifting the cargo as usual.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »
Being responsible for the weight and balance on P3s for many years as the Flight Engineer and later on the C2 has made super paranoid about securing loads. There is at least one video on utubes of a C2 taking a cat shot and the cargo shifting aft. It ended the same as the 747.  :(

bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 01:52:32 PM »
Always my biggest fear when doing W&B on DC-8's and 9's for Airborne Express.   There really is nothing that quite chills the bones then plugging in all the container weights and getting "FATAL ERROR" on the calculator read-out.   I was also super-paranoid about making sure every container was locked in place.

And when I first saw that video, I knew instantly that the cargo had shifted aft, and then it's just a cascade of disaster. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 07:03:56 PM »
Being responsible for the weight and balance on P3s for many years as the Flight Engineer and later on the C2 has made super paranoid about securing loads. There is at least one video on utubes of a C2 taking a cat shot and the cargo shifting aft. It ended the same as the 747.  :(

bob

Here's the C2 cat shot.  Tragic.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.