Author Topic: How do you carry your stuff?  (Read 5837 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
How do you carry your stuff?
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:15:23 AM »
My lil' girly briefcase is too small and is falling apart.  I can't afford to replace it, but I'm daydreaming.  Maybe I'll get some cash selling some books.  Dunno.

In any case, I no longer need a small case, but am not interested in spending $400+ on a briefcase.  I am kind of hung up on having a leather bag.  In fact, I'm ludicrously picky.  I figure I'll carry this thing every day for the next five to ten year, so it better be what I want.  But I just dunno where to start looking.

So, if you carry a briefcase/messenger bag/other leather bookbag of some kind, what do you have and where did you get it?

Also, do men think it is weird if a woman carries a regular briefcase instead of a "woman's briefcase" (I have learned that those tend to be 2-3" thick, leaving me with the problem I currently have)?

To the lawyers, again: Am I gonna find an ordinary briefcase sufficient?  Many of the lawyers I know tend to use enormous wheeled contraptions--is that necessary from time to time, or on a fairly steady basis?  If a normal case will be useless by next year, I'll live with what I have.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: How do you carry your stuff?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 11:40:57 AM »
You need an executive wheelbarrow.

Maybe Hardin/GunKid can help you out with one...  laugh
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:44:48 AM »
You need an executive wheelbarrow.

Maybe Hardin/GunKid can help you out with one...  laugh

Hmm...does "Executive" mean that the ceramic plate armor is replaced with leather and walnut trim?   grin

Personally, I just use a cheap backpack for carrying stuff to class.  But, I'm not going to be a lawyer so I don't have to consider image.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:49:58 AM »
Yeah, my cheap backpack was my overnight bag for a couple years, a diaper bag for a couple years, and is now out of service.  The trouble is it's just too hard on my stuff.  Tossed in a front pocket, my pens get scratched and leaky, I can't find change for the meter, stuff falls out of my wallet.  My code books are all big paperbacks, and they get all ripped and torn, and sticking the laptop in there is not even an option without a separate sleeve, which would add bulk.

And yeah, I'll be in court 2-3 days/week and spending another day with "clients".  Image is gonna have to figure in the equation here.  Otherwise I'd just get a Sear's tool bag like the one I use as a range bag. That would be a farking awesome briefcase!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 11:59:59 AM »
I'd say that your best option is to consult your fellow female students, attorneys, and professors.

And yes, if you're going to be in court, you're going to very likely want one of those wheeled cases .
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 12:06:39 PM »
Irwin?  There's a reason I hang out in places like this, and the range, and similar.  I don't talk about fashion with women.  The danger of my head exploding is far too great.  I'm not demanding anything, I just thought it could be a neat conversation about what people use.  I'm sure some people here use a briefcase of some kind.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »
Get a belt!
You can carry most things on the belt!
Flashlights, phone, PDA, tools...
Then what's left over you can put in a bag!
iPod, DS, crackers...
It's what I do!!

Edit:  Actually I have a small cardboard box that I put my DS and iPod and stuff in.  But my office is a work van, I just open the door and throw it all in.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 12:13:24 PM »
For work, a Targus backpack with vertebrae pads, or a Brenthaven laptop bag.

Casual, messenger bag, or an Old Navy vintaged cotton satchel with a faux-rusted-buckles sling across the chest, usually with an iPod clipped to it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 12:15:49 PM »
I'm not telling you to talk fashion, for Christ's sake, I'm telling you to talk tools of the trade!

There's a difference.

It's not going to go... "Hi, Professor Carol? Can I talk to you about your Georgio Armani brief case, which I see you've accessorized beautifully with a Dior scarf and Berganza shoes..."

Yi....

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 12:19:29 PM »
I'm not telling you to talk fashion, for Christ's sake, I'm telling you to talk tools of the trade!

There's a difference.

It's not going to go... "Hi, Professor Carol? Can I talk to you about your Georgio Armani brief case, which I see you've accessorized beautifully with a Dior scarf and Berganza shoes..."

Well, that's why I asked here.  I wanted to talk about tools.  It is difficult to know irl who is oriented to talking about tools and who is interested in talking about fashion. 

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 12:28:58 PM »
I think Maxpedition stuff looks classy in black and khaki colors.

Doppelduffel: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=13&idproduct=556
Multi-Purpose Bag (MPB): http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=13&idproduct=62

I think folks who carry wheeled luggage outside of an airport look silly though. Buuut I guess you got to do what you got to do. undecided

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 12:31:52 PM »
yeah, me too.   undecided  That second bag look awesome though. 

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 12:37:12 PM »
I have sort of a three bag system.  I have an old black leather Coach briefbag that I really like, but it doesn't hold much.  Because it's nice and because it doesn't hold much, I quit carrying it daily.  It still gets used for special occasions.  I have a cheap, but quite well made, larger bag that I got online somewhere (maybe www.ebags.com), that has compartments for everything, including a notebook PC.  It's heavy black cordura-looking material and is still like new after a lot of use.  I can dump a couple of files and code books in it along with tons of other stuff.  It's not fancy, but I don't have to worry about tearing it up.  For work that requires carrying more, we have large (+/- 10" wide), hard-side, dual combo-lock, leather-covered briefcases that will carry all anyone needs, but they get heavy and unwieldy when full.

As to what you will need, I guess it depends on what you will be doing, how far you have to travel from your office to the courthouse or client meetings, how much work you plan to take home each night, and how much of a security blanket you want to make out of a bag of stuff.  I try to carry as little as possible, but I see other lawyers carting what looks like their office around in the handled "rolly" bags/cases wherever they go.  If you really have to carry a lot, this seems like a reasonable way to do it.  It also appears to be more popular among the female lawyers, so you're not going to look unladylike doing it.
For entertainment purposes only.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 02:01:41 PM »
My girlfriend gave me a Eddie Bauer nylon briefcase that seems to be holding up quite well. It will also hold a laptop. I was going through a cheap cordura nylon briefcase about every 2-3 years. Hopefully this one will last a bit longer.

http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Travel-Messenger-Briefcase-Charcoal/dp/B000KDU6VU

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 02:31:29 PM »
Once you start taking cases to trial, you will become very familiar with the rolling catalog cases.  I no longer have to impress people, so I just carry a black cordura nylon briefcase that my kids gave me as a gift some years back. 

A nice belting or saddle leather briefcase is a traditional law school graduation present.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 05:12:20 PM »
Bridgy,
If you're ever around Newaygo, give me a shout. (PM me)  I have a leather briefcase I carried for years.  When I retired, I retired it.  It has a shoulder strap, a handle for hand carry, It is well worn in and soft.  Soft sided, several compartments and has many more years left in it.  I'll gift it to you.  It needs a new owner that would appreciate it.
I think I paid a couple, three hundred for it about 10-12 years ago.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 05:15:56 PM »
Swiss army knife people backpack/laptop pack. Other than that I am hooked on Eagle Creek stuff.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 05:41:13 PM »
Bridgy,
If you're ever around Newaygo, give me a shout. (PM me)  I have a leather briefcase I carried for years.  When I retired, I retired it.  It has a shoulder strap, a handle for hand carry, It is well worn in and soft.  Soft sided, several compartments and has many more years left in it.  I'll gift it to you.  It needs a new owner that would appreciate it.
I think I paid a couple, three hundred for it about 10-12 years ago.

Grampster, if you're sure about that, I'll gladly swap a gallon or two of a fine mead for it. 

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 07:15:48 PM »
How do I carry my stuff?

In the bed of a 12 yr old pickup.

grin
7-11 was a part time job.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 07:18:03 PM »
You could also always get a "genuine, real!" Halliburton case off eBay... Wink

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 05:34:51 AM »
Bridgy,

PM sent.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 06:31:02 AM »
MEAD! Did you say MEAD?  Gotta try making some of that soon!

Sorry about the hijack! Couldn't resist...................

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 11:47:08 AM »
How come you couldn't have ask this question when I worked for Outer Circle Products/Monarch Luggage.  I could have gotten you pretty much whatever your heart desired for free out of our overruns/returns/discontinued merchandise.   We used to sell it to our employees for either $1 or $5 depending on the size.

Unfortunately, the company is gone along with all the excess stock.....Could that have been the reason.....NAHHH rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »
Bridgey,

One broken in leather briefcase enroute.