Author Topic: The last PBY flying?  (Read 5863 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
The last PBY flying?
« on: February 07, 2015, 05:19:19 PM »
I would doubt this is the last PBY flying, but it may well be the only one that has been restored to original condition. But I could be wrong.

A well produced 7 minute video.

http://www.nxtbook.com/fx/media/ooyala/index.php?w=640&h=360&embedCode=l5cnRrbjoBGoU3i9mNk2WnlSwfvifrlA#ooi

And for some more PBY history:

Japanese force approaching Midway is spotted and attacked by PBYs - 1942

June 3, 1942. The Japanese force approaching Midway is spotted by the crew of a VP-23 PBY-5A Catalina on patrol.

From USNHC: Forewarned by Pacific Fleet codebreaking, Midway's patrol planes searched out hundreds of miles along probable Japanese approach routes. First contact was made with a pair of minesweepers some 470 miles to the west southwest at about 0900 on 3 June 1942. Within a half-hour, another PBY spotted the enemy's transport group, heading east about 700 miles west of Midway. Later that day, six Army B-17s bombed the transports, the Battle of Midway's first combat action, but only achieved near-misses. The Japanese were undeterred.

During the evening, four PBY-5A amphibians took off to make a night torpedo strike. Encountering the Japanese transport force in the early hours of 4 June, the slow patrol planes hit the oiler Akebono Maru with one torpedo, the only successful U.S. aerial torpedo attack of the entire battle. However, the damaged Japanese ship was able to keep up as the formation continued on.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/OnlineLibrary/photos/images/g10000/g19974.jpg

Photo #: 80-G-19974 (Complete Caption). Battle of Midway, June 1942. Crew of the Patrol Squadron 23 (VP-23) PBY-5A "Catalina" patrol bomber that found the approaching Japanese fleet's Midway Occupation Force on the morning of 3 June 1942. Those present are (standing, left to right): Aviation Machinist's Mate 2nd Class R.J. Derouin; Chief Aviation Radioman Francis Musser; Ensign Hardeman (Copilot); Ensign J. H. Reid (Pilot)--on wheel—and Ensign R.A. Swan (Navigator). Kneeling are (left to right): Aviation Machinist's Mate 1st Class J.F. Gammell (Naval Aviation Pilot); Aviation Machinist's Mate 3rd Class J. Goovers and Aviation Machinist's Mate 3rd Class P.A. Fitzpatrick. Names are as given on the original photographic mount card, in the custody of the National Archives. Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the U.S. National Archives.

PBYs at Corpus Christi - August of 1942

http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/fsac/1a34000/1a34800/1a34894v.jpg

Aviation Ordnanceman Jesse R. Waller installing a 30-calibre machine gun in a PBY Catalina, August of 1942. (Library of Congress LC-USW36-85)

http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/fsac/1a34000/1a34900/1a34916v.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/fsac/1a34000/1a34900/1a34926r.jpg

Sailors checking PBY Cat, August of 1942. (Library of Congress LC-USW36-970, LC-USW36-1086

http://cdn.loc.gov/service/pnp/fsac/1a34000/1a34900/1a34914v.jpg

Launching (Recovering?) PBY at the Naval Air Base, Corpus Christi, Texas, August 1942. (Library of Congress LC-USW36-968,)

Sinking U-Boats in 1942

August 20, 1942. PBY-5A (VP 73) sinks German submarine U-464, North Atlantic Area, 61°25'N, 14°40'W. Later HMS Castleton (ex-USS Aaron Ward, DD-132) and another former American destroyer HMS Newark (ex-USS Ringgold, DD-89) took custody of 51 of the U-464’s 53-man crew who had been picked up by an Icelandic trawler. Details at http://www.uboat.net/boats/u464.htm.

August 28, 1942. PBY (VP 92) and Canadian corvette HMCS Oakville sink German submarine U-94 at 17°54'N, 74°36'W. Destroyer Lea (DD-118) and Oakville pick up survivors. Details and photos at http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-94.htm

Cuban Navy in 1957

Cuban Navy was still operating the PBYs during the late 50s.

From a Foreign Service Dispatch, American Embassy, Habana, 3 April 1957

(UNCLASSIFIED) CUBAN PBY LOST. On 1 April 1957 a Cuban Navy PBY crashed into the sea near Cabanas, Pinar del Rio Province. The aircraft took off from the Naval Air Station, Mariel, at 1515 on a routine patrol flight and reportedly fell at 1530. The reason for the accident is not known at this time. Of the crew of seven, only one enlisted man survived. He was picked up by a fishing vessel. The Cuban navy has dispatched vessels and aircraft to search for the wreckage and other survivors but as of this date the search has not been successful. The aircraft which was lost was a PBY-5A No. 70. This aircraft was the best of the four PBY's belonging to the Cuban Naval Air Arm. Under MAP this aircraft was provided in August 1956 from U. S. Navy "mothball" storage to replace a Cuban PBY that was beyond economic repair.

Hope you enjoyed the rainy day interlude. :)

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: The last PBY flying?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 08:58:38 PM »
I would doubt this is the last PBY flying, but it may well be the only one that has been restored to original condition. But I could be wrong.

Several PBY Catalinas are flying.

That is a very well done one though.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »
I used to work with a guy who flew PBYs during WW2.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 09:55:22 AM »
Walked around a PBY that overnighted at Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ back in '86 or so.  That bird was a thing of beauty, perfectly maintained and nearly stock save for no armament.  No N-number anywhere on it, but the BuNo was still on the tail.  We wondered if it was still in Naval service as a recruiting tool or something.
Got to walk through another CAF PBY at Falcon back in the day.  They are neat birds, one I never had the opportunity to fly in but I would give one of my unmentionable body parts to get a ride.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 10:04:29 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_Consolidated_PBY_Catalinas

Seems to be at least half a dozen airworthy ones.

Me, I'm a fan of the Albatross.  I want one, and I'm sure I won the powerball on last nights draw, so I'm in the market.   :rofl:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 10:10:18 AM »
There is a PBY at the air and space museum in San Diego. I was pretty impressed with it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BobR

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 01:02:13 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_Consolidated_PBY_Catalinas

Seems to be at least half a dozen airworthy ones.

Me, I'm a fan of the Albatross.  I want one, and I'm sure I won the powerball on last nights draw, so I'm in the market.   :rofl:

There was an Albatross in the corner of the hangar in Adak the few times I deployed there. Used to belong to the Coast Guard, had no idea who it belonged to then. Over the course of several years it never moved. Very pretty lines. This one wasn't so pretty, but a ton of man hours performing corrosion control would have helped a lot.

bob

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 01:35:18 PM »
There was an Albatross in the corner of the hangar in Adak the few times I deployed there. Used to belong to the Coast Guard, had no idea who it belonged to then. Over the course of several years it never moved. Very pretty lines. This one wasn't so pretty, but a ton of man hours performing corrosion control would have helped a lot.

bob

That one came through my airport like 2 years ago.  I have dreams about landing that thing in clear waters off some Cay, getting in a kayak and heading out to some remote flat to whip up some bonefish on the fly.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 02:14:04 PM »
 I have dreams about landing that thing in clear waters off some Cay, getting in a kayak and heading out to some remote flat to whip up some bonefish on the fly.

Did similar in a (much) smaller amphib. :)

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 02:34:45 PM »

NOAA has all kinds of neat toys.

Right now they have one of their P3s surfing the atmospheric rivers off of the CA coast.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
NOAA has all kinds of neat toys.

Right now they have one of their P3s surfing the atmospheric rivers off of the CA coast.

bob

Sadly, that one's gone. It and one other were "custom builds" on the SEAWOLF platform ordered by SORDAC in the early 90's. They gave them to us for a while, then we stripped one and sold it privately and SORDAC took the one I flew in back a few years ago. I just looked for kicks and they've apparently sold it to a state.gov.

The P3s might be going away last I heard, just because of age and parts.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 03:09:34 PM »
The P3s might be going away last I heard, just because of age and parts.

I thought NOAA was rewinging them?

That is how a lot of foreign governments are getting to extend the life of their P3s.

https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=9e8cadfaeb04e0010283d07c1fcb9ab5&tab=core&_cview=0

I expect to see P3s in the air until I die.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 03:47:35 PM »
I thought NOAA was rewinging them?

That is how a lot of foreign governments are getting to extend the life of their P3s.

https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=9e8cadfaeb04e0010283d07c1fcb9ab5&tab=core&_cview=0

I expect to see P3s in the air until I die.

bob

They might be. That was one of the options. It wasn't looking that way a few years ago, but they might have gotten a money influx from Hurricane Sandy. Otherwise they were going to potentially look at C-130s, or just dropping the program and letting the Air Force do the work.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »

Jimmy Buffet almost killed himself in one of those.

JD

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 05:30:21 PM »
Speaking of PBY's, there are two great reads describing them in action in WWII.  I shall return.

Ah.  Here's a great one:  http://www.amazon.com/Hands-Fate-Patrol-December-Bluejacket-ebook/dp/B009SC1JDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423434642&sr=8-1&keywords=Patrol+wing+10

Keep in mind that the (non-self-sealing) 'avgas tanks are in the wing above what amounts to a boat hull.  A few 7.7's thru them had gas pouring down and thru the pedestal on which the wing was mounted, which would conveniently pool in the hull, in case anybody wanted to start a fire on board.

And again...

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Cats-Dumbos-Fighting-PBYs/dp/0971290105

For the TL;DR crowd:  PBY's would be painted black and sent on night bombing raids, attempting to interdict ships that were themselves trying to re supply stranded Japanese units on the islands that had been bypassed.  Climb to altitude, and throttle Waaaay back or even glide an approach to an unsuspecting vessel.  The balls on those guys...

eta: fixed so the linkys work.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:22:23 PM by scout26 »
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 02:43:13 AM »
I used to work with a guy who flew PBYs during WW2.

One of my bosses was a gunner on one of them.  To my great regret, I never sat down and "interviewed" him on his experiences. 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 03:20:45 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Cats-Dumbos-Fighting-PBYs/dp/0971290105

For the TL;DR crowd:  PBY's would be painted black and sent on night bombing raids, attempting to interdict ships that were themselves trying to re supply stranded Japanese units on the islands that had been bypassed.  Climb to altitude, and throttle Waaaay back or even glide an approach to an unsuspecting vessel.  The balls on those guys...
eta: fixed so the linkys work.

My grandfather was a gunner in one of those squadrons. VP-12, IIRC.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 04:21:53 AM »
Thanks !

Things I didn't know before this thread...

A. Wingtips were the pontoons.  Up to now I never really thought about there not being pontoons in the airborne photos.

B.  Pilot's instruments and gauges were minimal, most of the engineering control being done by an engineer in the pylon.

C.  That it contained a galley + bunks.  (Nobody ever talks about human waste provisions... humph !)

Interesting history from Glenn Curtis' first boat with wings, showing lots of tech details in the PBY and the amphibious ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4GiyDOGdpM

Tidbits I learned from this movie:

A.  The plane carried its own scaffolding for inspections and repairs in the cover of the jungles.

B. For the "black cat" night patrolling, they turned the red hot exhaust pipes up over the wings in order to hide the glow from the enemy.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 04:55:14 AM »
Human waste was probably a hole in the side....
JD

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 05:06:49 AM »
Several decades ago while was stationed in Groton CT one of the dads in the BSA. troop I volunteered with was a private pilot. One weekend he took the kids in the troop all for a ride in his Cessna. At the small airstrip where his plane lived there was a PBY rotting down off in one corner. It was sad..
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 08:03:49 AM »
Passenger excursion in English with inside video on a PBY (Nederlands) and water touchdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fifvp38DDGo

Great view out of those bubbles.  The lady sure enjoyed it.

Terry
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:07:55 AM by 230RN »