Author Topic: Wasps in the outbuilding  (Read 5879 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Wasps in the outbuilding
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2016, 08:55:15 AM »
So far all the suggestions offered have been some sort of variation of tried and true methods.  What I have not yet seen is advice on how to keep the buggers from being able to fly once they leave the nest to see what is disturbing it.

The answer that should be blowing in the wind is dish detergent.  A few drops in a quart-sized sprayer bottle of warm-ish water will effectively ground them, giving time for the chickens to move in for the actual kill.  Problem is in determining how much detergent a chicken handle before they also keel over.

If you want to be more proactive, use a mixture of citrus-based cleaner or tea tree oil and water.  You'll have to experiment to get the concentration right so that their exoskeletons lose their protective wax coating and the internal juices flow out right before your eyes.  If you make sure to get stuff that is not just citrus-smell covering up hydrocarbons but real citrus oil then the downed critters will still be safe for the chickens to eat.  (I'm told that oil of clove also works but that chickens find the taste unpleasant.)

Area fogging during the day while they are buzzing about seems to be more effective than waiting to hit individual wasps/bees/hornets as they emerge from/return to the nest.  It's also more satisfying to sit back with a cold adult beverage and turn the fogger on and off from a "safe" distance and be able to see them drop out of the sky than to go crawling around at dusk.

Pro tip, especially if you are using tea tree oil:  make sure you understand the difference between upwind and downwind, and stay ready for any shifts in direction.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2016, 09:06:59 AM »
Problem is in determining how much detergent a chicken handle before they also keel over.

I dunno why but that made me LOL more than it should have this morning.

Thanks Skid, I needed that bud.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2016, 11:09:02 AM »
I bet the chickens were happy.  Darn things are descended from velociraptors or some such...

You got that right.

I was puttering around in the yard at my old farmlet one hot summer day and a grasshopper buzzed by me about five feet above the ground.

One of my chickens spotted it from about ten feet away and leaped into the air to catch it in midflight in its beak.  Right next to me, this was.

I was amazed by the almost instantaneous analog computations necessary for that bird to do that --calculating both trajectories to intersect at a given time in three dimensions.  Four, actually, considering time as the fourth dimension.

Even more impressive than an outfielder catching a fly ball on a merely two dimensional flat plane.

Or busting 25 clays in a row.

Amazing.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2016, 11:57:33 AM »
I dunno why but that made me LOL more than it should have this morning.

Thanks Skid, I needed that bud.

Guess you've never seen a chicken squirt like day #3 of the old-fashioned pre-colonoscopy cleanse.

It's difficult to feel sorry for the chicken when you are laughing so much.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »
Guess you've never seen a chicken squirt like day #3 of the old-fashioned pre-colonoscopy cleanse.

It's difficult to feel sorry for the chicken when you are laughing so much.

stay safe.

I was gonna echo HeroHog's comment..... And then I read this....

Now my coworker's are looking at me funny because I keep nearly strangling trying to not laugh too hard....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2016, 06:39:25 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2016, 10:23:05 AM »
Yellowjackets are the souls of the damned, sent here by Satan to give mortals a foretaste of Hell.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2016, 10:35:46 AM »
So far all the suggestions offered have been some sort of variation of tried and true methods.  What I have not yet seen is advice on how to keep the buggers from being able to fly once they leave the nest to see what is disturbing it.

I have heard of using dish detergent, but I have never tried it.  I haven't seen anything that will keep them from flying.  Even the instant kill poisons don't do that even though they drop pretty fast.  For those you still need know where the nest is and have a direct shot at it.  So far, you have said you don't know where it is.  

See if you find an MSDS for whatever you use and see if it is poisonous if swallowed.  I am not sure trying to feed your chickens concurrently with killing wasps is worth it.  I guess the chickens might eat the larvae out of the nest you knock down.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:10:18 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2016, 07:20:12 PM »
Yellowjackets are the souls of the damned, sent here by Satan to give mortals a foretaste of Hell.

You ain't wrong there brother! We went shooting at the Sheriff's range once and I sat my range bag down on a stack of old school desks next to an out building. When I did, a cloud of those little @#%!@rds erupted forth! I froze in place. A few strafed me and bounced off my bare arms but no stings as I was motionless. Once they calmed down, I eased over, gently retrieved my bag and S L O W L Y eased outta there. I was well clear when one nailed me on the left shoulder! I shucked my shirt as it had managed to get trapped under it somehow and that was why I got stung. That HURT! The area hurt for days! I had the wife look at it and it looked like a huge zit so I had her express it for me. There was a hard round mass in there a bit bigger than a .177 BB! Once it was out, I healed up.

Point being, yes, yeller jackets ARE @$$holes! Also, wasps will go after motion and freezing in place can REDUCE how bad yer experience can be.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2016, 10:06:58 PM »
I hate the little bastidges.  Took 30+ stings up my right leg and hip one summer evening while helping a friend put up an 80 meter dipole on his property.   They came out of a nest in the ground, right up my pant leg.  Probably hornets, but don't know for sure.  Ouch.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2016, 10:14:53 PM »
I always read these threads. The thought of all those bastards dying just makes me smile.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2016, 11:27:39 AM »
I always read these threads. The thought of all those bastards dying just makes me smile.
I thought you might be posting on the wrong thread, but if you are, better to leave it unsaid.   =D

(edit:  For those taking offense, the other thread I am thinking is not the the thread you are thinking of.  Have a nice day.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:56:52 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2016, 01:28:55 PM »
Okay, talked to the pro.  No Bueno.  He offered to hose down the interior of the building with their barrier insecticide, which would dampen all the things.  Nope.  I asked if a flea bomb might work.  "It might".

Off to do the research on the active ingredient in the bomb, to compare to wasp sprays...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2016, 01:52:27 PM »
Why does nobody even listen when I suggest using insecticide dust?  Wasps get it on their feet and poison the whole nest.  (Listen and say "that's stupid" and don't do it is fine ;))  If you were local I'd give you a half ounce of Methoxychlor 50WP that you can't buy anymore; that's what I use.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2016, 02:02:09 PM »
They also make flying insect sprays that will kill wasps as well as fogger sprays that will do it.  They may not be instant kill, but you can hit them indirectly.  Those usually kill mosquitos and other stuff also.

One time I was trying to deal with bore bees.  They look like bumblebees, but bore nests into wood.  Wasp sprays didn't work.  I sprayed that Ortho Home Defense around where the holes were and never had any other problems. 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »
Why does nobody even listen when I suggest using insecticide dust?  Wasps get it on their feet and poison the whole nest.  (Listen and say "that's stupid" and don't do it is fine ;))  If you were local I'd give you a half ounce of Methoxychlor 50WP that you can't buy anymore; that's what I use.

I had yellow jackets under my patio once.
I sprayed several cans of wasp killer down the hole- it done pissed them off good.
Several days later, I poured some Sevin down the hole- it done wiped the little *expletive deleted*ers out, they died screaming in agony.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2016, 07:25:24 PM »
Malathion is your very stinky but effective friend. It kills a TON of insects quickly and works for a while. Get a sprayer, mix, apply, CYA for a bit.
MOLON LABE!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2016, 08:00:53 PM »
I had yellow jackets under my patio once.
I sprayed several cans of wasp killer down the hole- it done pissed them off good.
Several days later, I poured some Sevin down the hole- it done wiped the little *expletive deleted*ers out, they died screaming in agony.

Had a nest in the ground at my parents place last year. Kerosene and a torch after dark worked nicely.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »
Had a nest in the ground at my parents place last year. Kerosene and a torch after dark worked nicely.
Those types of yellow jackets are the ones I don't see in the area I live.  The "yellow jackets" we have are just small paper wasps.  They are mean bastards though.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2016, 08:10:47 AM »
Proper identification of the enemy is an important skill

Yellow Striped bastard

Red Bastard
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2016, 09:06:41 AM »
This is what we would call yellow jackets down here.  If you walk nearby, they will all be turned and pointing directly at you.  Not the only type, but they seem to have a high density of wasps per nest.
My Dad grew up in Mississippi and has told me about the larger wasps that have nests underground.  I am glad I never saw them.  I think they are in Texas, I just never saw them so much.  Maybe the large numbers of fire ants has something to do with it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »
Last colony of ground dwelling Yellow Jackets I dealt with I used a a couple of pounds of dry ice and a wash tub.

Poured the dry ice over the hole and inverted the tub over it.

What the cold didn't kill outright the CO2 smothered. But I left the tub over the hole for a couple of days to make absolutely sure.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2016, 12:14:14 PM »
This is what we would call yellow jackets down here.  If you walk nearby, they will all be turned and pointing directly at you.  Not the only type, but they seem to have a high density of wasps per nest.
My Dad grew up in Mississippi and has told me about the larger wasps that have nests underground.  I am glad I never saw them.  I think they are in Texas, I just never saw them so much.  Maybe the large numbers of fire ants has something to do with it.

Those are red wasps, the yellower colored one in RKL's post is a paper wasp.
These are yellow jackets:
http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/eastern_yellow_jacket.htm

Nasty little bastards, especially if you run over their nest with a lawnmower.
These are the ones I hate the most though:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2016, 02:46:33 PM »
yellow jackets are agents of the devil.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2016, 04:26:40 PM »
On an amusing side note, our high school mascot is the yellowjacket, and Howard Payne University in Brownwood (BHS has pretty much always been our primary sports rival) has not only the yellowjacket mascot, but the same blue and gold school colors.  Apparently it's still fairly common for blue and gold and/or yellowjacket motifs to be the target of vandalism there, without much regard for whether it's ours or theirs.