Author Topic: The perils of a "living wage"  (Read 7005 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: The perils of a "living wage"
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 03:06:24 PM »
We have a local joonyur kolig that has an agreement with Texas Tech. An Associates degree from said halfway house is a Golden Ticket to TTU. A lot of locals are taking them up on it for the less-than-half cost. Kinda 'splains why South Plains College is one of the fastest growing campuses in the state.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:35:23 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: The perils of a "living wage"
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »
Also, the junior college will have a list of their classes, what transfers to that school, and what the equivilent course is at the 4 year school.  Just get the degree plan and stick with those required classes.  Honestly, in the freshman year, most all the classes are common and the same as what would be taken at any school. 

I went to Junior College for 2 years before transfer to Texas A&M.  I was Mechanical Engineering.  The only issues I remember:  1) gap between JUCO calculus and Diff Equations and actually using that in higher level classes, 2) the drafting class at JUCO was all pencil and ruler, no AutoCAD (doubt that is an issue now), 3) a few of the classes at JUCO such as basic Physics were not as demanding.  All the english and history classes were all the same.  I avoided many of the "weed out" classes where a lot of students hit a brick wall.  Calculus 1 at A&M was a 200 person lecture room and the professor doesn't care if you can't keep up.  The JUCO class I took had probably 20 people.

Very good point.

I took a few courses at JCs on the way to my degreee.  I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of instruction.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton