Author Topic: Now this is nice  (Read 6368 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Now this is nice
« on: January 28, 2009, 10:40:40 AM »
New Yorkers protesting the proposed obesity tax by dumping soda into a river:

Binghamton Tea Party

Clearly what's needed is a few more young men like these.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:20:51 PM by Gewehr98 »
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Now this is nice
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:02:05 AM »

I liked the part where they asked for permission to dump soda.

Real rebels there, I'm sure the govenor is regretting his position now.   Positively quaking in his English boots, no doubt.    =D

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »
Clearly we must ignore permits and law and order completely to be 'real' rebels? :D

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:08:10 AM »
Clearly we must ignore permits and law and order completely to be 'real' rebels? :D

Well, yes.  Mind you, I'm not advocating that as a desirable or intelligent thing.

Also, I'm agreeing to the first two only.  For an example, the Boston Tea Party was very orderly.  So was the Battle of Athens.  But rebels they were.  Proud and stout lads, both were. 

If protestors stay in their nice "free speech" zones, applying and wrangling for permits, etc etc.  Who the heck would or SHOULD take them seriously?  Obviously, such people are sheep that will roll over and take it with minimal fuss.  No need to clamp down on dissenters if they're just going to wave signs (with the proper permits, taxes, fees, etc), go home feeling smug, and never EVER buck the system.  Such people can be safely ignored each and every time because they are no real threat. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:09:59 AM »
brought to you by
  wait for it....

http://www.ronpaulforpresident2008.com/news/
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 11:11:28 AM »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 11:12:14 AM »
Well, yes.  Mind you, I'm not advocating that as a desirable or intelligent thing.

I am of the belief that peaceful protesters should, as much as it is possible, comply with the law while protesting, unless they plan on civil disobedience.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 11:19:50 AM »
I am of the belief that peaceful protesters should, as much as it is possible, comply with the law while protesting, unless they plan on civil disobedience.

Peaceful protesting is useless unless you actually have a shot in hell of guilting the other party into giving up.  Ghandi picked civil disobedence not because he thought it was an enlighted form of warfare, but because it was the ONLY way to beat the British military.   Plus, the Brits could be expected to fold if public opinion swayed in the Indian favor.

Peaceful protesting when your opposition has no shame or guilt is useless, if not enabling to one's enemies.   

Obviously, I'm not advocating all out war over a friggin tax on non-diet soda.  Tho, I would if they tried to take my Mountain Dew.  I'm pointing out the strategic flaws in most forms of "peaceful protesting".   Civil disobedience is 100% something different.  Civil disobedience is intentional sabotage and disregard for the orders of one's enemies.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 11:26:31 AM »
Peaceful protesting works (sometimes) because politicians look and think "Here are 100,000 guys who care enough about this issue that they took a day out of their time to stand there with placards. They're going to turn out and vote, too. And donate. And some of them will volunteer."

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 11:56:21 AM »
Deleted the blatant repeat of Post #4 above.  One Ron Paul link in this thread was more than enough to get the idea across.  Now you're just being a jerk...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:41:08 PM by Gewehr98 »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 12:13:34 PM »
I remain suspect.  I saw no Wookie suits.

Shouldn't those people be at home in their moms' basement?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 12:20:07 PM »
I edited MB's original posting to make it look less like a drive-by. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 12:24:18 PM »
Peaceful protesting when your opposition has no shame or guilt is useless, if not enabling to one's enemies.   

there were a couple monks in vietnam that did a pretty effective job and i can assure you that the governments involved don't do guit and are blatantly shameless

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 12:35:09 PM »
Hmmm...  From my cold, refreshing cans!  :rolleyes: (Sorry)

The consumption of "empty calories" is not a big enough danger to warrant government regulation.  It's not like soda is really addictive or mind-altering.  I quit drinking soda in November for several weeks (going from ~3-4 cans per day abruptly to zero), and I didn't get sick or have any particular desire for soda anytime afterward.  I lost a little weight, but nothing really remarkable.  I've had a little since then, and it hasn't resulted in any urges to "relapse."

It seems more like lawmakers in New York are straining to look like they're doing something.  But don't they have any bigger fish to fry?

I'm glad the protesters got some publicity, at least.  Even if the governor gets someone to push this law, maybe a few fence-sitters will hear about this and oppose it.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 03:32:35 PM »

It's not like soda is really addictive or mind-altering. 

Lemme put it this way...  Take my Mtn Dew, and I'm taking folks' skulls as trophies.  With my imperfectly sharpened, with a file for a nice ugly serrated edge, entrenching tool.

Mtn Dew is not addictive or mind altering.  It's a religious experience in an anti-freeze coloured liquid.   Any questions?

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 03:41:10 PM »
caffeine is addictive!  and i love it!!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 03:58:13 PM »
Pouring soda in the river with a permit....not rebellious.....  =(

Pouring soda on the City Council members without a permit....REBELLIOUS...  =D

Can you guess which one I support?....  :angel:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 08:34:47 PM »
Gee Rev... tell us how you REALLY feel! Holding back like that... ain't healthy, bro!  :laugh:
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 08:44:18 PM »
Lemme put it this way...  Take my Mtn Dew, and I'm taking folks' skulls as trophies.  With my imperfectly sharpened, with a file for a nice ugly serrated edge, entrenching tool.

Mtn Dew is not addictive or mind altering.  It's a religious experience in an anti-freeze coloured liquid.   Any questions?

Outlaw coffee and I'll do something similar.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 09:48:07 PM »

Your antiquated "soda" of past decades has been surpassed both in shocking colors and amount of stimulants. :)

And then there is "Redline" energy drink, which will mess you up. YES THE WARNING IS JUSTIFIED!!! :O
It's been described, by actual recovered addicts, as very similar to the effects of cocaine. Do not drink it with alcohol, you will die. Drinking it by itself, it'll just kick you in the ass and make you want to climb walls for hours. Some people have had hallucinations, even. I'm not quite sure how they sell it, really...

“RECOMMENDED USE: Shake well prior to use. Always begin use with one-half can (4oz.) of REDLINE daily to assess tolerance. Never exceed more than one can daily. Do not consume REDLINE on an empty stomach. Consuming REDLINE on an empty stomach may cause nausea.

WARNING: NOT FOR USE BY INDIVIDUALS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 YEARS. DO NOT USE IF PREGNANT OR NURSING. Consult a physician or licensed qualified health care professional before using this product if you have a family history of, heart disease, thyroid disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, depression or other psychiatric condition, glaucoma, difficulty in urinating, prostate enlargement, or seizure disorder, or if you are using a monoamine oxidize inhibitor (MAOI) or any other dietary supplement, prescription drug, or over-the-counter drug containing ephedrine, pseudo-ephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine (ingredients found in certain allergy, asthma, cough or cold, and weight control products). Do not exceed recommended serving. Exceeding recommended serving may cause adverse health effects. Discontinue use and call a physician or licensed qualified health care professional immediately if you experience rapid heartbeat, dizziness, severe headache, shortness of breath, or other similar symptoms. Individuals who are sensitive to the effects of caffeine or have a medical condition should consult a licensed health care professional before consuming this product. Do not use this product if you are more than 15 pounds over weight. The consumer assumes total liability if this product is used in a manner inconsistent with label guidelines. Do not use for weight reduction. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.”
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:53:31 PM by Manedwolf »

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »
damn!  i 1/2 way wanna try one!

how long before we see "the redline defense" in a courtroom as an excuse for a crime of violence

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 12:03:22 AM »
The Boston Tea Party was neither lawful, nor entirely peaceful. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 12:08:55 AM »

Amen, brother Revdisk!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 12:26:21 AM »
I don't care even if it was addictive, mind altering, and madness inducing.  Our society is made up of millions of children who expect daddy government to protect everyone from things they think could hurt them.  Wanna drink soda? OK, but do it too much and you'll be fat.  Wanna smoke?  Ok, but you'll get cancer.  Wanna smoke marijuana? OK, but do it to much and you'll become apathetic and addicted.   The punishment for these things is self evident, why the government needs to make laws regarding them is ridiculous... we are seriously are all a bunch of pussified weaklings.  Guess what govt?  I can drink soda and not be fat!  I can smoke weed 3 or 4 times a year, enjoy myself, and not think about it again for months!  I can drink large amounts of alcohol, and still have the wearwithawl to not get in a car and drive.  I can purchase firearms and not lose my temper and go on a killing spree.

We need to punish the idiots who can't control their behavior, not ban things simply because the idiots can't handle them.

Milk has more calories than soda does.  Tax milk.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 03:08:07 AM »
And then there is "Redline" energy drink, which will mess you up. YES THE WARNING IS JUSTIFIED!!! shocked

GIEV. NAO.