Author Topic: CA environmentalist: Mandate could force gas stations out of business  (Read 6714 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: CA environmentalist: Mandate could force gas stations out of business
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 11:49:52 PM »
Did some googling.  Ignition temperature of gasoline is around 500 deg F.  The temperature at the end of a lit cigarette is ~750 degrees F, more than enough to ignite gasoline.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/ShaniChristopher.shtml
http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae1.cfm

No Mythbusters needed for this one.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 11:51:53 PM »
Where there's smoke there's...

We've had them in St. Louis for about 15 or so years...

Seem to work.

The ridiculous emissions control things?

Seen them in pics, never fueled from one.

CARB needs to be told to shove it...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 11:56:23 PM »
Maybe not fair, gal smoking is caught on fire at gas station pumping gas.  She had both static and the cancer stick working against her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRVVrGZLsz8

Boy caught on fire by brother smoking a cigarette at gas station:
http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/idaho/stories/NW_021807IDNgasstationfireSW.122e43af.html

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 12:16:41 AM »
I've seen cigarette butts ignite dry vegetation.  I don't think they'd have a problem igniting gasoline.

How about tracers?

I know tracers will ignite dry vegetation...

*whistles, wanders*...

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 12:37:33 AM »
Gasoline has some peculiar ignition properties.  Like many volatile liquids, the liquid itself isn't combustible, it's actually the vapors that ignite.  And even then, the vapors are only flammable when mixed with oxygen in the right proportions.

I bet you could fire a tracer straight through a can of gasoline without igniting it, or drop a lit cigarette into one.  So long as the can is sealed, the vapors would probably be too concentrated to ignite.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:40:59 AM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 12:44:33 AM »
Gasoline has some peculiar ignition properties.  Like many volatile liquids, the liquid itself isn't combustible, it's actually the vapors that ignite.  And even then, the vapors are only flammable when mixed with oxygen in the right proportions.

I bet you could fire a tracer straight through a can of gasoline without igniting it, or drop a lit cigarette into one.  So long as the can is sealed, the vapors would probably be too concentrated to ignite.

If the can doesn't explode, which I would bet on it doing, what will happen when you open to see that nothing happened?

The concentration seems to matter more for explosive potential with gasoline.  Sort of like how you can light natural gas on fire and it burns smoothly to cook your meals, but if it builds up to the right gas/air mix and then gets lit....kaboom. 

Either way the gasoline is going to burn (assuming any oxygen available at all), it's just that the vapours may explode.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 01:56:15 AM »
It isn't a good Knob Creek, unless the hill catches on fire at one time or another. The -best- one was when they actually had to call the fire department.

And they go through a LOT of gasoline there too...
Blog under construction

zahc

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 01:57:22 AM »
I bet you could fire a tracer straight through a can of gasoline without igniting it, or drop a lit cigarette into one.  So long as the can is sealed, the vapors would probably be too concentrated to ignite.

I've personally dropped a lit cigarette into a pan of gasoline. The cigarette goes out. Same for diesel. I also once poured at least a gallon of gasoline down a yellow-jacket nest in the ground. It wouldn't light. About the only thing that happened is the vapors wafting out of the opening would light on fire, and then usually go out from the breeze. I still think it killed the yellow jackets though.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 02:13:13 AM »
Right.  Gasoline needs oxygen to combust.  When you're pumping gas, you're not swimming around in gasoline; you're breathing in Nitrogen (heh), oxygen, and fuel vapors.  If you're unlucky, and possibly spill a bit of fuel, and the vapor gets into the air, FWOOM!
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 12:52:43 PM »
How about tracers?

I know tracers will ignite dry vegetation...

*whistles, wanders*...

So will 81mm mortars.  Chuckle, chuckle, sob...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 01:01:24 PM »
If the can doesn't explode, which I would bet on it doing, what will happen when you open to see that nothing happened?

If the tracer passes through liquid gasoline, nothing happens, as there is no oxygen present.
If the tracer passes through gasoline vapor above the liqiud in the tank, probably nothing will happen, as the oxygen content is likely too low.  YMMV for various reasons.
If you open the can after the tracer passes through to see what is happening inside, again nothing will happen*, because the source of ignition is long gone.

* Except you might get a little gas leaking out of the can onto your shoes.  Watch out for those vapors if you are smoking.

Mythbusters had fun with this one already.

ETA:  Gasoline vapor - Lower Explosive Limit = 1.2%,  Upper Explosive Limit = 7.1%.  That is a pretty narrow range.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 01:16:50 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 06:57:21 PM »
ETA:  Gasoline vapor - Lower Explosive Limit = 1.2%,  Upper Explosive Limit = 7.1%.  That is a pretty narrow range.

Otherwise, Below 1.25% = no flame, above 7.15% = no flame.  That is only two of the three legs for combustion.  The third leg is HEAT.

Oxygen in the right amount, fuel in the right concentration, and high enough heat, you will have anything from a fire to a disasterous explosion.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 01:30:45 AM »
So will 81mm mortars.  Chuckle, chuckle, sob...

Tracers, though, go there on purpose. You can be firing down a dirt range, with a wide area of sand, and a tracer will still bounce off the target and go off into the brush, and then there will be a whole lot of smoke a second later and you have to yell for a cease fire and run down the range with a shovel and all...  :lol:

I think the stupidest one was when a 9mm tracer set the target on fire, though. I'm still not sure how it did that. Shoot the target, and it's on fire a few seconds later, burning bits drifting around it. I hadn't thought it would be in contact long enough...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 01:34:43 AM by Manedwolf »