8 (12.9%)
Safety razor
21 (33.9%)
Straight razor
5 (8.1%)
What's a razor?
7 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Shaving  (Read 3684 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Shaving
« on: December 05, 2014, 10:38:08 AM »
We (including me) get a bit hipster here sometimes and go off on shaving topics. I don't think we've ever had a poll though, on how people actually shave. So what is your preferred shaving method? You can choose more than one option.

80% of my shaving is with a safety razor, with most of the rest done, when I have the time, with a straight razor. I have a really nice Braun electric shaver that I was given as a Christmas gift some years ago. I hate to see it sit, so I might break it out a few times a year.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Shaving
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 10:41:48 AM »
Liking the DESR.  Close shaves when I want them, quick shaves when I am in a hurry.  What's not to like?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 11:35:22 AM »
Straight razor for my weekly haircut and maybe 1 other shave per week depending on how much time I have. Disposable when I'm in a hurry and to touch up around my ears after a haircut (I'm not comfortable yet with a straight razor around the top and back of the ears especially when its very hard to see what I'm doing in those spots).I've found the straight razor to be phenomenal for haircuts (shaving head) with my fine hair that still grows, they do not clog and it feels like peeling an apple when my hair is 1/4" long.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »
The Noxzema Spa Shave four-blade disposable razor, that I buy for $ 4.97 for the four-pack at WallyWorld.  I toss it out for a new one every payday (every two weeks).  After years of experience and experimentation with shaving my head, I have found that this works the best in terms of a close shave without gouging out new divots every time it hits a bump on my head.  It works fine on the face and neck, too.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 12:20:51 PM »
DESR with Feather blades. I have about a years supply of blades stockpiled and promise myself that, when they are nearly gone, I will decide whether or not to continue.

I suspect the sample here is biased by the fact that we are even reading about the subject.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 12:23:46 PM »
Gilette Mach 3 or Fusion.

Mug & soap.

Generally in the shower in the mornings, but lately I've been shaving before I go to bed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 03:43:32 PM »
Generally dsr on the face and Schick hydro five for the head, or for when I'm feeling lazy.

Thats, of course, when I feel like shaving. I spend most of the year fuzzy.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
Double edge safety razor

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 04:47:30 PM »
Whatever is cheap and in three blades. I have a beard so I shave my lower neck and cheeks about 2x a week.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 05:03:45 PM »
Still got most of the no-shave November fur, but I do keep the neck clean and edge the rest of it with a straight razor.  Of course, if/when I decide to lose it, the straight razor is pretty much the best tool for bulk removal too, and then I'll go back to the DESR for daily maintenance.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 05:08:10 PM »
What do you call the disposable Gillette sensor 3 stuff?  Is that considered cartridge? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »
What do you call the disposable Gillette sensor 3 stuff?

Decoys.  Before the straight razor, it was the only way to keep the ex wife from using my face stuff on her legs.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 06:04:33 PM »
If showering, disposable cartridge razor.  Tried a double-edged mechanical flip-top razor, not comfortable with it safety-wise.  Hard to handle, despite knurled handle, with soapy hands and no mirror in the shower.

I occasionally use one of those $10 Harbor Freight electric razors if in a hurry.  When I was working, I kept one in the car for commute and going-to-offsite-meeting shaves.  When battery went down, I'd switch it with the one in the house and recharge it.

I've had Remington, Norelco, and various el-cheapo (like the Harbor Freight ones) electric razors and the absolute best so far is my Braun Series 3.

Smooth shave, recharges very quickly (has a charge indicator light on it), is washable, easy to handle.

I especially like the charge indicator because I suspect it has two cells in it, and it glows red when the charge is getting low.  This avoids the reverse-charging on the weak cell if you keep using it when only one cell is running the works.  Had it for about five years now, use it very extensively, and I think the charge capacity is finally degrading.  Seems to recharge especially fast if you run it down to where the red light lights.  Impossible to over-charge it because of the regulator, which contributes to the batteries' longevity.

Like most electrics, a greater number of passes over an area is required if my beard is neglected for a day.  (However, since it's now grey, it doesn't show as much as in my yout'.)

Foils and cutters are expensive ($30-$35 a pop), but in terms of amortization, are pretty cheap even compared with disposable cartridges, which started to hit $22 a pack.  I keep a new spare set handy for when they wear out... holes start appearing in the foil.

I found it pays to keep it clean and lubricated.  Braun's shaver oil is expensive, so I just dab sewing machine oil on the working parts and that almost seems to be better than their proprietary oil.

Terry

Incidentally, I might have voted three times... I kept getting thrown out by a "This Page Can't Be Displayed" message.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 06:13:50 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 06:19:22 PM »
Double edge safety razor, mug and soap. Usually beard up for winter but I trim it w electric trimmers and tame the border w double edge. I like to use a straight razor a couple times a month when I can take my time.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 06:25:46 PM »
Threw away my razor 2 weeks before being essentially thrown out of the USMC (after 1 yr 3 mo 27 days extension of enlistment, convenience of government and then being told even if I wanted to I would not be allowed to re-enlist) - what were they going to do to me?

OTOH

"He got a custom Continental Grand Caravan
He got an Eldorado electric wheelchair too
He got a 32 gun in his pocket for fun
He got a razor in his shoe"

It's been quite a while since my last haircut/beard trim.  My looks are described as a toss-up between Santa (with a really mean atitude), Jerry Garcia, and Lenin.  (I could never be a hippie - my hair/beard just do not grow that long.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 06:26:22 PM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 06:31:38 PM »
We (including me) get a bit hipster here sometimes and go off on shaving topics.

This site is always a bit hipster.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 07:36:37 PM »
This whole shaving thing is just a war on men inspired fad and will eventually fade away to where only the effeminate types are doing it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 07:43:48 PM »
I just use the Target disposable knock-off's of the Mach 3 they have the little rubber squeegee thingy, and the little soapy bar of slippery stuff, and I find they work so well, I only need water if it's after a shower which softened the stubble.

If I need to shave without a shower first, I just use a dab of the re-branded Proraso shave cream they sell at Bath & Body works someone gave me as a gift a few years back, and is now found in it's own packaging in lots of places as the brand has taken off in the states. http://www.proraso.com/en/#
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »
I feel like messing with ya'lls manly talk.

*grin* Venus, which ever cartridges are cheapest.

Dad just buys the cheapest disposables and goes through about a 10 count bag every week. Even when he's doing the facial hair (usually a heavy goatee), he shaves what still grows out of the top of his head.
Mind you, he usually has at least one serious bloody spot every shave, plus some smaller nicks and whatnot.
I guess when you have Wolverine style body and facial hair, you either spend a lot of time fussing or you say "screw it" and pretend you also heal instantly.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
Count me among those using a DESR and a puck of shaving soap. I gave up on canned shaving cream once I got good enough to whip up a nice lather from a puck of shaving soap in about 2 minutes.
Andy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 09:45:10 PM »
<slightly off-topic>

Out of curiosity, does anyone else here have to shave their nose?  I have to use an electric on it, just above the nostrils and up to the bridge.  Hey, I'm serious.

</slightly off-topic>

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 10:03:11 PM »
I feel like messing with ya'lls manly talk.

Hey, girls gotta shave too. The poll is gender neutral or cis or whatever.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
<slightly off-topic>

Out of curiosity, does anyone else here have to shave their nose?  I have to use an electric on it, just above the nostrils and up to the bridge.  Hey, I'm serious.

</slightly off-topic>

I have three annoying old guy hairs that grow on my nose now. I do a quick swipe with a razor once a week.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 10:47:49 PM »
Double edge safety razor, shave in the shower with water, and I'm still working through 100 blades I bought for $10 a couple of years back.  Now that I've figured out I can flip them over and they cut better for another week I'm probably going to be working on that 100 pack for another 2 years.

It helps that I go fully bearded in the winter and keep a goatee the rest of the year.