8 (12.9%)
Safety razor
21 (33.9%)
Straight razor
5 (8.1%)
What's a razor?
7 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Shaving  (Read 3685 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Shaving
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2014, 10:49:42 PM »
<slightly off-topic>

Out of curiosity, does anyone else here have to shave their nose?  I have to use an electric on it, just above the nostrils and up to the bridge.  Hey, I'm serious.

</slightly off-topic>
Yep
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Shaving
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2014, 11:41:39 PM »
Whatever 3-4 blade, I guess it's a cartridge, we have on hand.  I usually only shave 3x per week, almost always in the shower.  Except for my mustache (which is glorious) I can't hardly grow enough facial hair to be worth keeping.
Formerly sumpnz

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 12:15:39 AM »
Double edge safety razor, shave in the shower with water, and I'm still working through 100 blades I bought for $10 a couple of years back.  Now that I've figured out I can flip them over and they cut better for another week I'm probably going to be working on that 100 pack for another 2 years.

You know you can re-hone them on a piece of newsprint or a wetted old mouse pad.  I had one of these (it was my father's) for many years before I started using electrics and cartridges.  Don't know if they're still available:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/6/4/7/4/3/webimg/433672490_tp.jpg

Lots more convenient than honing on newsprint.

Terry
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 12:23:20 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 07:55:10 AM »
We (including me) get a bit hipster here sometimes and go off on shaving topics. I don't think we've ever had a poll though, on how people actually shave. So what is your preferred shaving method? You can choose more than one option.

80% of my shaving is with a safety razor, with most of the rest done, when I have the time, with a straight razor. I have a really nice Braun electric shaver that I was given as a Christmas gift some years ago. I hate to see it sit, so I might break it out a few times a year.

I've had a beard since 1975.  I only shave my neck, using whatever cheap cartridge type razor is around the bathroom.  Quality of shave does not matter greatly.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »
I guess when you have Wolverine style body and facial hair, you either spend a lot of time fussing or you say "screw it" and pretend you also heal instantly.
Gives close to Wolverine's healing powers:  http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/clubman-styptic-pencil/ID=prod6143533-product
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zahc

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 10:05:23 PM »
I lost my Gillette "new" open - comb razor somehow (I prefer to believe the TSA stole it from my luggage). I suffered with modern - style razors for about 3 months before I broke down and bought another gold plated Gillette New off eBay for about 30 dollars. Shaving with it the first time after 3 months of plastic razors was amazing.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
I don't shave my face, but every full moon, I use an old lawnmower blade to give myself a Brazilian.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 02:51:35 AM »
I don't shave my face, but every full moon, I use an old lawnmower blade to give myself a Brazilian.

Real men use Gorilla tape. Leave it on 12 hours so it grips right.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 08:39:39 AM »

Pic credit in image

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 09:16:30 AM »
DESR.  And yes, I also shave my nose.

I did sign Dad up for Dollar Shave club, and reports favorabily on the cheap razors.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 04:39:24 PM »
^ "DESR.  And yes, I also shave my nose."

Heh.  I guess it's not that unusual.  Must be a werewolf gene running around loose.  I just wish it would grow on my scalp instead of my nose.  Not that it's that heavy, but any little bit on top would help.

Terry

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 04:50:53 PM »
I did sign Dad up for Dollar Shave club, and reports favorabily on the cheap razors.

Somehow I ended up getting their Facebook stuff.  I keep telling them the only way they could save me money would be to send someone over for free to strop my straight razor and save wear on my strop.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2014, 05:32:51 PM »
^ Well, that's where names like Rusty Shackelford come in handy.  Or Mbutuma McMambo.

Long before the 'net I tested the distribution of names on mailing lists by using the name Pyotr Ilyevich Tchaikowski on one (1 only) mail inquiry I made.  I was getting junk mail from every company under the sun for every product under the sun for almost two years, with highly amusing mis-spellings of the name.  I finally moved and changed POBs, and pitied the poor Postal Patron who got that box number after me.

Mailing lists are big business, and I guess they've now started mining the social media.

Tmguma O'Mboto, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:36:15 PM by 230RN »