Author Topic: The Root Of All Evil.  (Read 3805 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
The Root Of All Evil.
« on: March 13, 2007, 06:26:40 AM »
I have figured out that money is not the root of all evil.  It is religion.  What else besides turf is the most wars fought over.  People have been fighting wars since the beginning of time over religious differences.  If money was the root of all evil this war in Iraq would be over with.  The reason being after spending the afternoon here in Baghdad it dawned on me that this would be a perfect tourist destination if not for the bloodshed.
The weather during our winter is perfect.  You can also grab tourists for the history.  Three of the biggest religions all call this area of the world the birthplace of civilazation.  What more could a resort ask for.  Let companies like Hylton, Marriott and others invest in building resorts and this place would be swimming in money.
Too bad the people of this once great land can't see all of that.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: The Root Of All Evil.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 06:28:06 AM »
I've known that religion is the root of a most of the big problems for a long time.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 06:42:46 AM »
Religion isn't the root of evil.

It's how people PERCEIVE their religion as it relates to those who have different religious beliefs that generates the evil that is done in the 'name' of religion.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 07:13:04 AM »
I have figured out that money is not the root of all evil.  It is religion.  What else besides turf is the most wars fought over.  People have been fighting wars since the beginning of time over religious differences.  If money was the root of all evil this war in Iraq would be over with.  The reason being after spending the afternoon here in Baghdad it dawned on me that this would be a perfect tourist destination if not for the bloodshed.
The weather during our winter is perfect.  You can also grab tourists for the history.  Three of the biggest religions all call this area of the world the birthplace of civilazation.  What more could a resort ask for.  Let companies like Hylton, Marriott and others invest in building resorts and this place would be swimming in money.

I think people of that region stopped seeing that way back when they were stealing all the polished white limestone facing off the Pyramids to build mosques.

Because leaving someone else's vast works alone and quarrying stone for their own would have been far too much WORK...and at the core, they do not respect other cultures' accomplishments at all.

Also stuck minarets around Hagia Sophia, tacked up some ugly giant billboards inside and called it a mosque, so hey.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 07:27:11 AM »
"Religions are grand, lofty ideals.  Religious followers... now that's a different story."
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 07:43:18 AM »
People are the root of all evil, and no, I am not suggesting that we go away.  Besides religious differences, you have wars over territory, natural resources, ideology and ethnicity.  While history is full of religious conflicts, there have also been many that have had little or nothing to do with religion.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 07:47:19 AM »
Lack of guns is the root of all evil.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 07:48:26 AM »
It's not "money" anyway.  It's "love of money" or, more simply, "covetousness", or even more simply, "desire for that which is not ours".

Which is fairly easy to wrap up in religious trappings for justification.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 08:03:51 AM »
People are the root of all evil, and no, I am not suggesting that we go away.  Besides religious differences, you have wars over territory, natural resources, ideology and ethnicity.  While history is full of religious conflicts, there have also been many that have had little or nothing to do with religion.

Except that greed, desire for land and resources and such can't motivate people to blow THEMSELVES up and end their own lives for a cause. Only religion or leader worship is capable of that.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 08:05:56 AM »

Except that greed, desire for land and resources and such can't motivate people to blow THEMSELVES up and end their own lives for a cause. Only religion or leader worship is capable of that.

Sure about that?  Are people not willing to die suicidally in the name of freedom or other non-religious ideals?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 08:07:20 AM »

Sure about that?  Are people not willing to die suicidally in the name of freedom or other non-religious ideals?

In a battlefield charge or such, yes. Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori and all that. Walking into a quiet cafe full of men, women and children and blowing themselves to messy bits, that takes some serious brainwashing.

And religion even plays into the first. How else can you convince people to end their existence completely, stop existing, be gone forever, unless you give them some hope of some kind of "afterlife" to run with?

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 08:14:42 AM »
My dislike for religion is well known. No point in extra flogging.

That being said, people are the root of all evil (and good). Eliminating religion would leave other things for them about which to be nasty (or pleasant) towards one another. To be rid of all evil, you must live like Robinson Crusoe (without Friday).

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 08:15:46 AM »
Manedwolf,

How do you account for the fact that hardcore marxists invented the suicide vest?

Atheists do commit suicide.  An afterlife isn't the only thing that motivates people.  This should not be a controversial position.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 08:29:44 AM »
I have figured out that money is not the root of all evil.

Probably the most mis-quoted verse in the entire Bible.  People seem to have this nagging problem with dropping the most important word in the verse.

1st Timothy, 6:10

"The love of money is the root of all evil."

Makes a little more sense now, doesn't it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 10:41:35 AM »
Brad,

The NIV and NASB translate this verse as "the love of money is the root of ALL KINDS of evil," which would be a much different meaning.  I don't know which is right. 

I have figured out that money is not the root of all evil.  It is religion.  What else besides turf is the most wars fought over.  People have been fighting wars since the beginning of time over religious differences.
Seriously?  When was the last time you got caught up in Catholic/Protestant violence here in America?  We've got a lot of those two groups here, you know.  I could see why you might say that Islam is the root of all evil.  But religion in general? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 11:29:07 AM »
When was the last time you got caught up in Catholic/Protestant violence here in America?  We've got a lot of those two groups here, you know.

What he said. C'mon, fistful, it's time to get to that. We've been putting it off far too long, you know.

rolleyes

Andy

zahc

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 11:35:14 AM »
It's how people PERCEIVE their religion as it relates to those who have different religious beliefs that generates the evil that is done in the 'name' of religion.

Right. Or in otherwords, it's religion.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 11:48:47 AM »
But religion in general?

Actually I have to kinda agree.  Too many people have put the mechanics of their particular branch of "Religion" ahead of what's really important, their faith.  Religion is what you are on the outside.  Faith is what you are on the inside.  Religion is what you do when everyone else is looking.  Faith is what you do when no one else is around.  Religion is easy.  Faith is hard.

Ideology is a powerful motivator.  Possibly the most powerful, in personal terms.  There is simply no getting around the fact that the mechanics of religion, or more precisely the differences between the mechanics of two religions - no matter how closely related - are the basis for much of the world's long-standing conflicts.

Heck, in my home town the Baptists and Methodists almost came to blows trying to see who could be first in line at the cafeteria for Sunday lunch.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 01:07:58 PM »

The love of money (ie Greed) is the root of all evil is how the saying actually goes.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 03:17:55 PM »
I would suggest that religion has caused fewer wars than most people think.  I think greed/power is the real motivator.  Religion is just one of the tools that leaders use to get the riff/raff to agree to it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lee

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 03:45:04 PM »
Religion is no different than a gun...it's what people do with it that matters.
And Carebear is correct...it's greed (the love of money) that makes the bad stuff happen.  Someday I hope to learn what G*d has said to most of the world's leaders (especially religious leaders) about their hunger for gold. The scale of theft varies, but they all are looters essentially, who hope to convert their unearned spoils to gold. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 04:33:34 PM »
So I may have missed quoted but does it take away from the idea that if the love of money or greed was the problem we wouldn't be having as many problems with religious extemeist from whatever side they were on?
The basis for this post was to point out if you take away the religious violence from most places they would be able to prosper as tourist traps if done correctly.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 04:54:10 PM »
Money, religion, sex, drugs, music (that dingus who shot John Lennon [also a dingus, btw]), politics... Pick your poison.

The root belief of all evil action is the holding of some other thing in higher regard than another person's life. Hurr durr.

~GnSx

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 05:15:10 PM »
Brad,

The NIV and NASB translate this verse as "the love of money is the root of ALL KINDS of evil," which would be a much different meaning.  I don't know which is right...

Darby and a number of other commentators go with " ..the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil..".

Gill suggests Paul is paraphrasing a Jewish proverb/saying and referring to money love as idolatry ... "idolatry..the root of all iniquities"...he quotes the phrase (twnwe lk rqye), but it's all greek to me.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
The root belief of all evil action is the holding of some other thing in higher regard than another person's life.

~GnSx

Excellent observation.
Andy