Author Topic: Baby boomers are showing more cognitive decline  (Read 1950 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Baby boomers are showing more cognitive decline
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 11:02:25 AM »
Cognitive sharpness appeared to improve generation after generation, starting with the so-called greatest generation (born 1890-1923) and peaking among war babies (born 1942-1947). However, scores started to slip in the early baby boomers (born 1948-1953) and further decreased in the mid-baby boomers (born 1954-1959). This remained true across people from all races, ethnicities, education levels, and financial wealth.

Uh oh is right. I was born in  the last month of the last year of the boomers, which apparently means I have the most drop in the population. Also, If I'm the last of the boomers, why am I labeled "mid-boomer"?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 11:37:30 AM »
The Baby Boom is most often described as lasting from 1946 to 1964.
When I verified that I found this entry on Wikipedia:

Generation Jones- 1954-1965
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Jones
First time I've seen that.

As to why our brains are melting faster than previous generations? I'll blame television.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 11:43:00 AM »
More television less reading (RKL beat me to it), divorce and cultural atomization, rich diets and less physical labor due to affluence are all probably just part of the picture.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 12:12:37 PM »
less physical labor
From what I've read, the biggest contributor to mental longevity is exercise.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 02:04:38 PM »
From what I've read, the biggest contributor to mental longevity is exercise.

Just from my very small sample of data, (my grandparents) I'd say the biggest contributor is doing crossword puzzles. Preferably in ink.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 03:03:37 PM »
The Baby Boom is most often described as lasting from 1946 to 1964.
When I verified that I found this entry on Wikipedia:

Generation Jones- 1954-1965
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Jones
First time I've seen that.

Generation Jones.  Yep, that be me.

My one grandpa went from Alzheimer's.  Wasn't pretty. 

As to why our brains are melting faster than previous generations? I'll blame television.

First gen with ubiquitous TV, on most of the time.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »
I'm not experiencing any decline.  I can still write computer catfish with the best of them.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 05:01:33 PM »
Just from my very small sample of data, (my grandparents) I'd say the biggest contributor is doing crossword puzzles. Preferably in ink.

Agreed.

My maternal grandparents hated the NY Times, but they always bought the Sunday Times -- for the crossword puzzle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 05:18:12 PM »
My 93 year old dad does both physical and mental exercise. His feet have started giving him problems with support, so he's been walking with a cane or even walker for aerobic exercise just because he's afraid of falling down, but he does stretching and situps and stuff all the time, and though he is limited in the food he can eat now, he eats as healthy as his diet will allow.

To me, most importantly, is that he constantly exercises his mind. For the past several years, he has started the encyclopedias at "A", read through to "Z", then started over again. I've been in the habit for the last year of also sending him easy to read books on various history topics, which is an interest of his. Further, he sits down at least a few times a week and does math problems to, as he says, "keep his brain goin'. "

I am 100% certain it all has made a difference and warded off dementia.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 05:30:59 PM »
^ "Further, he sits down at least a few times a week and does math problems to, as he says, 'keep his brain goin'. '"

Where does he get the math problems?

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 05:54:44 PM »
 To sure about Bens dad but there are educational websites that you can print math worksheets off that go at least K-12.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 05:59:23 PM »
^ "Further, he sits down at least a few times a week and does math problems to, as he says, 'keep his brain goin'. '"

Terry

He just makes them up. He doesn't do algebra or anything, just stuff like 15,432*2345 or whatever. Then just does each one a few times to make sure he got the right answer. He's never used a calculator in his life, all math by hand.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 06:05:22 PM »

Terry

An easy way is to pick a random number and find its square root manually.  It will require you do a long division problem for each digit of the root you break out.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 06:22:18 PM »
An easy way is to pick a random number and find its square root manually.  It will require you do a long division problem for each digit of the root you break out.

Why, that's too easy.  All you have to do is find the antilog of half the log of the number.

I thought maybe there was a site you could draw problems from.

Reminds me of my shame with a problem on the "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?" show I was watching.

Problem involved the meter length measurement.  I got a crazy answer. Somehow I had it stuck in my puddin' head that a meter was six feet.  :facepalm:

I guess I'd'a been correct if the problem was in fathoms. =D

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 06:49:24 PM by 230RN »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2020, 01:01:55 AM »
More television less reading (RKL beat me to it), divorce and cultural atomization, rich diets and less physical labor due to affluence are all probably just part of the picture.

And the drugs.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2020, 01:03:49 AM »
And the drugs.

Shifting from fat/protein majority diet to starch and carb majority diet.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2020, 01:04:41 AM »
My brain is certainly not near as sharp as it used to was! I can see the decline and it scares the carp outta me. It's not "bad" yet, but it IS noticeable. The dang shakes/twitches/tremors in my hands/arms are pretty unnerving as well.

"Golden Years", my @$$! :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2020, 01:42:51 AM »

I thought maybe there was a site you could draw problems from.

There is: https://brilliant.org/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2020, 12:52:34 PM »
Math problems?   I couldn't do those when I was in high school.  I got a C in geometry in 10th grade because the teacher said he'd give me a C instead of an F as long as I promised him I'd never take another math course as long as I lived.  I did and he did.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2020, 02:46:38 PM »
Well,  I'm a baby boomer and I refus  two beleef I an experinsyng Amy kogitive deekline,  and foothermoer I tack enormouse egsepshun too any persun hoo is klaiming I is!!! :old: :old:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2020, 01:56:03 AM »
My brain is certainly not near as sharp as it used to was! I can see the decline and it scares the carp outta me. It's not "bad" yet, but it IS noticeable. The dang shakes/twitches/tremors in my hands/arms are pretty unnerving as well.

"Golden Years", my @$$! :old:

Same  here, except for tremors.  I'm having some trouble remembering names, especially prominent people like actors.... Humphrey... ummm....

They usually pop into my head a couple of minutes later if I quit struggling to remember them.

I had three concussions due to 2-wheel accidents on the right side of my head... speech centers... maybe that explains it.

Either that or there are simply  too many names "up there" and it's just taking longer for them to percolate to the top when an access request is made.

Bogart.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2020, 02:04:53 AM »
Double Post

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2020, 03:18:59 AM »
Are they or are studies like this part of message of “we need to do something to control the old people that remember freedom, oh wait let’s say they have more mental problems”

Call me suspicious but to me much of the medical community these days are just as in bed politically as the media. It’s not like they benefited from Obamacare or anything...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!