Author Topic: Baby boomers are showing more cognitive decline  (Read 1949 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Baby boomers are showing more cognitive decline
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2020, 04:58:02 AM »
boomhauer mused:

Are they or are studies like this part of message of “we need to do something to control the old people that remember freedom, oh wait let’s say they have more mental problems”

You're not the first to wonder about this.  I remember the outrage at GCA 68 (I was 29yo), yet now many gun folks support most of it nowadays.

They probably never had the experience of going into a Colorado (for example) gun shop and buying a handgun, needing only a driver's license to prove Colorado residency.

And before that,when no ID at all was needed, where you could walk into any hardware store in any state and trade money for a firearm.  

See, memories of that kind of situation have passed on.

That kind of "freedom" will never come again, since the "habit" of gun restrictions has taken over.  "New normal" and all that BS.

"What, Terry, you mean you would allow even felons to own guns?"

Well, yeah.  See, they were doing a pretty good job of eliminating other felons.  Like the Valentine's Day massacre, which a lof of people think resulted in NFA34.  The proper lesson there was not that guns cause violence, but that four bad guys wiped out seven other bad guys.

That's my kind of a Darwinian attitude toward criminals carrying guns... as you can see... as long as upright people get even odds and can also carry them without any (ahem, koff-koff) ...what's the word?

Oh.  Yeah.  "Infringements."  Almost forgot.  Gettin' old, y' know.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 05:36:46 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2020, 08:32:33 AM »
Are they or are studies like this part of message of “we need to do something to control the old people that remember freedom, oh wait let’s say they have more mental problems”

Call me suspicious but to me much of the medical community these days are just as in bed politically as the media. It’s not like they benefited from Obamacare or anything...

Well, if you read some (or most) of the comments, you'll find a lot of, "because the boomers ruined the world with their oil pollution, industrial chemicals, nukes, etc." posts. So if nothing else, there's certainly an environmental, SJW reaction to the study, whether the study was biased in that way or not.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2020, 08:36:51 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2020, 10:57:26 AM »
Related to the thread: https://www.seattletimes.com/business/technology/how-to-effectively-teach-a-boomer-to-zoom-from-3000-miles-away/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=owned_echobox_f&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR22QNxQbCqn9EdcUrDRb8YbcWKeIMz9-ff26JbIXLxDg2Z9wTYebHZKMIQ#Echobox=1608877345

We in healthcare have run into this a lot, as so many of our visits in recent months have to be via telemedicine.  Our nurse and medical assistant staff have gotten to be IT support experts in teaching people how to install, configure and use Zoom or other software.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2020, 06:29:36 AM »
Related to the thread: https://www.seattletimes.com/business/technology/how-to-effectively-teach-a-boomer-to-zoom-from-3000-miles-away/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=owned_echobox_f&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR22QNxQbCqn9EdcUrDRb8YbcWKeIMz9-ff26JbIXLxDg2Z9wTYebHZKMIQ#Echobox=1608877345

We in healthcare have run into this a lot, as so many of our visits in recent months have to be via telemedicine.  Our nurse and medical assistant staff have gotten to be IT support experts in teaching people how to install, configure and use Zoom or other software.

I don’t know anything about Zoom because I’ve never used it but Microsoft Teams is what my company uses. Teams is extremely overcomplicated for what it needs to be. We have a large amount of people from late 30s-60s who none of them grew up using a computer and have needed very little from a computer in their professional life. My work is trying to get them to do everything on a computer from work orders, parts ordering, email of course, a customer update system (you know those automated text messages you get from a car dealer service Dept? That kind of system), online safety training, benefits management, submitting tickets for support to the OEM through a very overly complicated system, and now this *expletive deleted*ing Teams *expletive deleted*it. I struggle with some of it and I am by far the most computer literate person there so I am now the guy who gets them fixed because our worthless IT department doesn’t listen to anybody on their issues and thinks everything can be done remotely. Oh and then they want every password changed every 90 days and I have to get everybody’s password changed when it expires and they lock themselves out because they don’t understand that.

I can’t turn a goddamn bolt without getting called to fix something or show somebody how to do something.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2020, 08:50:56 AM »
We use Teams also.

It really is a pretty crappy product.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2020, 09:27:17 AM »

We in healthcare have run into this a lot, as so many of our visits in recent months have to be via telemedicine.  Our nurse and medical assistant staff have gotten to be IT support experts in teaching people how to install, configure and use Zoom or other software.

Tangentially related to the link (and trying to get boomers off the hook), Apple users have been hounding me to "get facetime so we can video chat!". I have to explain to them that Apple only makes facetime available to apple users, and if they want to video chat with me, they should install Google Duo or else some other video chat program that both our platforms can use. I am dealing with 30 and 40something Apple users who can't figure out how to install and use the non-Apple product. It's like I'm asking them to defuse a bomb.

I ran into this kind of stuff a lot at work. I was one of the oldest guys in the office, so the instagrams and the twitters were things I didn't know my way around internally because I had no interest in them. Yet many of the younger people couldn't figure out how to start and use gotomeeting without me actually standing next to them and walking them through it.

So some of it isn't necessarily age and the "grandpa can't figure out how to get the 12:00 to stop blinking on the VCR." It's somewhat being insulated within the technology. I suppose an analogy might be the 25 year old male that can run circles around me regarding the infotainment center in a 2020 car, but if the battery dies, doesn't know how to hook up the jumper cables to get the infotainment center running again.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2020, 09:59:25 AM »
Tangentially related to the link (and trying to get boomers off the hook), Apple users have been hounding me to "get facetime so we can video chat!". I have to explain to them that Apple only makes facetime available to apple users, and if they want to video chat with me, they should install Google Duo or else some other video chat program that both our platforms can use. I am dealing with 30 and 40something Apple users who can't figure out how to install and use the non-Apple product. It's like I'm asking them to defuse a bomb.

I ran into this kind of stuff a lot at work. I was one of the oldest guys in the office, so the instagrams and the twitters were things I didn't know my way around internally because I had no interest in them. Yet many of the younger people couldn't figure out how to start and use gotomeeting without me actually standing next to them and walking them through it.

So some of it isn't necessarily age and the "grandpa can't figure out how to get the 12:00 to stop blinking on the VCR." It's somewhat being insulated within the technology. I suppose an analogy might be the 25 year old male that can run circles around me regarding the infotainment center in a 2020 car, but if the battery dies, doesn't know how to hook up the jumper cables to get the infotainment center running again.

I've survived in the field almost 30 years.  And grew up when there wasn't any of this stuff.  I'm definitely "Generation Jones".  I'm always running into people doing things with their computers that I absolutely don't see the point of doing.  Partly I've seen a lot of latest greatest things come and go.   (Do you have any idea how many times tablet pcs were the next big thing, before someone finally made it work well?)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2020, 10:01:03 AM »
Our company uses Google apps.  Google Meet is easy to use at the basic level, but people get messed up with speakers and microphones and mute buttons.  Most of the people around here work with their hands and have varying levels of comfort with computers.  However, most all of our company apps and such have been online for a while now so most of us are used to it.

Our IT group is similar to Boomhauer's.  It is all 3rd party and remote.  They do not have field people outside corporate.  It is dang near an Act of God to get someone to come to the site.  We were able to do that about 5 years back when our external internet to the site was down for 3 months.  We got someone on site in the 3rd month who helped fix the issue after a couple meetings which included the head of our IT group.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2020, 10:04:47 AM »
I've survived in the field almost 30 years.  And grew up when there wasn't any of this stuff.  I'm definitely "Generation Jones".  I'm always running into people doing things with their computers that I absolutely don't see the point of doing.  Partly I've seen a lot of latest greatest things come and go.   (Do you have any idea how many times tablet pcs were the next big thing, before someone finally made it work well?)
We are supposed to be getting tablets for the operators to use in the field for rounds and procedure sign-off (class 1, div 2 electrically classified area).  It was delayed.  They are still working on it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2020, 11:04:35 AM »
We are supposed to be getting tablets for the operators to use in the field for rounds and procedure sign-off (class 1, div 2 electrically classified area).  It was delayed.  They are still working on it.

I can remember at least a couple different tablet-ish things in the early 90s, that were the Next Big Thing according to the trade rags.  Dos based or Win 3.1 based.  Then Apple's Newton.   Then Palm made something that, while quirky and limited by today's standard, folks found actually useful. 

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2020, 11:21:18 AM »
My company was big on iPads, still are to some extent.
We were issued iPads and had a bunch of apps that were intended to make us more "mobile" .
They all had cellular plans which was good because we generally don't have wifi in our offices.
After about a year of use I had finally gotten to where I was starting to like he damned thing and along with my co-workers were finding it actually useful and a help on the job.
Corporate decided we didn't need them..
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2020, 11:28:07 AM »
We still use I Pad Minis hooked up to our intranet for some specific jobs.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.