Author Topic: Old PC Games You Still Enjoy  (Read 2599 times)

Andiron

• friend
Re: Old PC Games You Still Enjoy
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2020, 09:29:38 PM »
I've got some DoD 1.3b installation files around on a few CDs and maybe an old hard drive or two.  I should see if I can get something up and running on an old XP machine.  The CDs are at least 20 years old.

Doesn't feel that long ago..  We should get an APS server going.  I'll dig up my old disks as well, and I've got at least 2 buddies that would enjoy the nostalgia trip.  Might be on to something.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2020, 09:57:30 PM »
I'll check to see if there is a way to run it on a Raspberry Pi 4.  Probably not possible, but worth a shot.  Some of the old games like flavors of Doom and Quake will run on a Pi.  They didn't require much horsepower.
I've got a few old Winders boxes around that might work if a Pi 4 won't.  May be able to gin up something on a Linux box, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2020, 01:15:04 AM »
Doesn't feel that long ago..  We should get an APS server going.  I'll dig up my old disks as well, and I've got at least 2 buddies that would enjoy the nostalgia trip.  Might be on to something.

I have the occasional urge to hack together a private server of evercrack or others with exp gain turned up x100 just so I can explore all the places I never saw (because grinding was never my jam.)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2020, 07:19:40 AM »

I'm in, if I can find a copy.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2020, 08:47:05 AM »
I've never played one of these server games, but if we can turn it into an APS team building exercise, I'd be interested, as long as I can carry the sniper rifle.

https://youtu.be/SLqoJwJ-KX0
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »
A little bit of quick research indicates that an internet accessible DoD 1.3b game server might be possible on a Windows server.  I found some info in the Steam community about how to set it up outside of Steam.  DoD 1.3b is pre-Steam and won't work on that platform.
I'm going to look around for Linux server versions just to cover that base.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2020, 11:55:05 AM »
Total Annihilation

Homeworld 2
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2020, 06:52:06 PM »
Sopwith
Space Quest
Myst
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2020, 07:19:12 PM »
Sopwith
Space Quest
Myst

The entire Myst series.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2021, 09:43:35 PM »
The entire Sierra On-Line (82-88) catalogue!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2021, 11:59:31 PM »
Purity Test
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2021, 06:36:38 PM »
Syndicate.

Crusader: No Remorse

I do love me some sci-fi corporate dystopia.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2021, 03:20:30 PM »
Escape Velocity. Old Mac game of space exploration/conquest.

I loved that game when it came out. We went to Windows not long after EV Nova was released and that was the last time I ever thought about it. Now I just try to play a little TF2 while my wife puts the kid to bed!