Author Topic: Are ya nervous yet?  (Read 1291 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Are ya nervous yet?
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2023, 12:10:55 PM »
...told me some stories about how it can take a mile or so to stop one of those long coal or oil trains...

We learned this in grade school. Which made sense, as there was a railroad trestle about a block away from the school. And a coal-fired power plant a few miles away.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2023, 12:15:14 PM »
told me some stories about how it can take a mile or so to stop one of those long coal or oil trains that are heading to Vancouver BC for shipment to the PRC.

After a recent train vs car full of HS kids who were racing a train one reporter kelp wondering why the train didn't just stop.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2023, 12:21:12 PM »
After a recent train vs car full of HS kids who where racing a train one reporter kelp wondering why the train didn't just stop.

The former president decreed a minimum one-mile stopping distance for all freight trains. The cruelty was the point.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2023, 12:25:51 PM »
The former president decreed a minimum one-mile stopping distance for all freight trains. The cruelty was the point.

Write something along those lines.and summit it to MSNBC.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2023, 11:49:10 AM »
A Biden administration official told Fox News Digital that it has provided extensive assistance to surrounding communities following the chemical release earlier this month in eastern Ohio. However, the official said the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the agency that usually provides relief to communities hit by hurricanes and other natural disasters, isn't best equipped to support the state's current needs.

"The Biden Administration is mobilizing a robust, multi-agency effort to support the people of East Palestine, Ohio. Since February 3, the Environmental Protection Agency has had personnel on the ground," the official told Fox News Digital. "FEMA is coordinating with the emergency operations center working closely with the Ohio Emergency Management Agency."

"But what East Palestine needs is much more expansive than what FEMA can provide," they continued. "FEMA is on the frontlines when there is a hurricane or tornado. This situation is different."

In other words it took us two weeks to figure out how best to politicize this after we found out ignoring it wasn't working and how to best line our pockets.

White House explains why it turned down disaster relief for Ohio
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/white-house-explains-why-turned-down-disaster-relief-ohio
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2023, 05:08:53 PM »
FEMA was invented to deal with nuclear war. Not tornados and hurricanes. But bidens gen z pr staffers probably don't know that.

FEMA should be coordinating the response. If other organizations are needed, FEMA engages them. That's their function.

FEMA took a large role in 9/11 and that was an act of war. Not a natural disaster.

Personally I believe the reason for withholding aid is political against the local people...the current administration isn't concerned about looking like they care about a few deplorable white Republican-voters. And also a need and desire to cover up the disaster for the railroads and the fedgov's scandalous corruption and mismanagement of them. They can't downplay the disaster if they send in FEMA.

If this were a less-favored industry and a more-favorered region or demographic we would be seeing things play out very differently.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2023, 08:40:58 PM »
So it is a sign of favoritism to the railroad to let a bad situation in that industry spiral continually out of control without providing the resources to deal with it?

I’m not putting that kind of massive blunder past the government, but man that would be one of the worst ways of “supporting” an industry.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2023, 12:29:39 AM »
Yes, because there's no relationship between actually physical failure and the correct people getting rich. Success is defined as the correct people getting rich and the railroads are successful.

The railroads and the government have colluded for decades to destroy our rail network at the expense of America and for the benefit of a few monopolies. Yes, the railroads want this as it has made them rich. They don't care if they actually ruin our transportation infrastructure as long as the dividend checks keep rolling in, anymore than PG&E cares if they cause forest fires or rolling blackouts. They are the sole monopoly providers of a critical resource that can't actually be allowed to fail. They have profited immensely and they don't really want the American public to find out.

This is literally happening in real time as the railroads just had our president ban their workers from striking with zero concessions to avoid shocking the economy. If you ever wondered who runs our country or who our president really works for, you just found out. 
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2023, 08:21:28 AM »
A headline today on the Daily Wire:  "‘It’s Worth A Shot’: Rand Paul Approves Of Ohio Gov Posing As Zelensky To Get Federal Assistance"
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2023, 10:56:36 AM »
How about this take?

Donald Trump Jr believes that Russia is behind the recent train derailments in Ohio and Michigan, saying that it's Vladimir Putin's revenge for the destruction of the Nord Stream gas pipelines in Europe in September.

'Are we under attack?': Donald Trump Jr. claims US train network is being sabotaged over attack on Nord Stream 2 after spate of derailments in Ohio and Michigan
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11766209/Donald-Trump-Jr-claims-train-network-sabotaged-attack-Nord-Stream-2.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2023, 04:24:29 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2023, 12:08:35 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2023, 12:17:25 AM »
KOWABONGA !!  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”