Author Topic: Cross country movers  (Read 4883 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Cross country movers
« on: May 03, 2006, 06:09:51 PM »
There is a possiblity that my date to move to VA might get bumped up.
Any recommendations on cross country movers?  I'm considering getting some quotes.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

matis

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 01:06:07 AM »
Unless your company is going to subsidize this, it's gong to be very expensive, with pitfalls like bumping your bill way up at the other end and damaging your goods.

Moving from L. A. to Florida, I bought a used Ford F600 (this was in 1981) truck with a 20 foot box, loaded my stuff in and had an adventure driving it with my wife taking turns.

Bought the truck for $2500, spent $250 fixing a few items and sold it at the other end for $3250.  that almost covered the gas and the move was just about free except for motels and restaurents.

The numbers would be higher today but I'd do the same thing all over again.  It was fun and cheeeeep!

If you haven't got time for that I'd look into a U-drive-it yourself truck which would cost less than a third of a moving company.

Good luck on your move.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

SalukiFan

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 01:29:02 AM »
JamisJockey,
  I agree wholeheartedly with Matis. Unless I was moving overseas and could not possibly drive the truck myself, I would go the do-it-yourself rental truck route. One of the things I've seen over and over again at work is that a surprising number of our "frequent flier" criminals get jobs as movers. Personally, I don't like the idea of any of these stick-fingered parolees pawing through my property.

Cross-country moving probably isn't as bad as moving locally (they check out what you have, where you keep it and then come back when you are on vacation to steal the hand-selected items) but more enterprising crooks have been known to sell or trade information to other crooks in other places about your personal belongings.

The only other advice that I have heard regarding moving with a moving company is to get the price in a contract. I have had too many friends and acquaintances who have been basically blackmailed by companies holding their belongings and then bumping up the price for the delivery. After living a few weeks in a sleeping bag on the floor, many people will pay a lot than what they originally agreed to.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer and good luck with your upcoming move!

SalukiFan

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Cross country movers
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 02:46:45 AM »
When we moved from WA to NM, we rented the biggest truck Ryder had. I drove the truck and SWMBO and daughter followed in the mini-van with the cats. Total cost of moving a 3br household: $2750, including gas, meals and motels.
Minimum bid from pro movers was $5000 just for the stuff.

TarpleyG

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 03:25:10 AM »
Also, depending on how much stuff you have, check into PODS.  We rented a 16' (the largest they have) and loaded it to the brim.  PODS picked it up, drove it to NC and delivered it to our new driveway...all for justa few bucks more than renting a U-haul.

Greg

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Cross country movers
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 03:50:44 AM »
PODS is cool, if they serve the area to/from which you are moving.

They didn't, so I wound up using some fellows that looked and sounded like they were right out of the movie Deliverance.  They did an excellent job at a bargain price.  I was lucky-- don't follow my example.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Cross country movers
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 05:08:42 AM »
I was going to mention PODS also, I think its a neat concept. Haven't tried them yet, probably will in 4 years when I'll be moving again.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 05:32:42 AM »
Saluki and matis:
This ain't my first rodeo.  I've moved more than a few times.  I'm weighing all my options.  I'd prefer to just rent a truck, but with two small kids and a bad back, it might be easier to pay for the move.  As far as crooked and screwey moving companies, that is why I'm looking for positive recommendations before I try any.  I still have time to pressure the wife into using a uhaul, but that's not what she wants to do.

RE: Pods
I got a price quote of over $5k to use just one 16' pod.  They can bite me.
26' uhaul comes in at $1500, plus $300 for the flatbed to haul one of the cars.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 06:16:32 AM »
Jamis, for the distance you'd be moving and because you're moving an entire house and not a small apt, I would get professional movers.  However, I would get everything in writing and prepare to lawyer up if there's even a hint of a problem.  Also, manually move true valuables yourself (guns, antiques, bikes, etc).  

Chris

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 06:52:46 AM »
Before you call PODS and find out how expensive they are, call some movers and find out how expensive they are.

Anyway, another thing to try if you have something to tow with is a race car trailer.  Mine is 26 feet long on the floor inside and I can get quite a bit of furniture in it.  Just watch your tongue weight.  I've moved several times using car trailers.
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

JAlexander

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 07:16:37 AM »
When we moved back to Texas from San Francisco, I looked into professional movers but there were just too many horror stories, so we ended up hiring some local guys to load the U-Haul truck for us and sweet-talked a couple of friends into sharing driving duties.  I don't recall how much it cost to have the truck loaded after we packed everything, but it was a bargain, comparatively speaking.

One thing, though:  Please, please, please Do Not use U-Haul.  We originally reserved an 18 foot truck about a month before our move, but the U-Haul place called us the day before we were supposed to pick it up and said that they didn't have any 18 foot trucks, and we could have either a 14 foot with a trailer or a 24 foot truck.  I wasn't happy, but I'm pretty easy-going and I took the big truck.  I don't recommend driving one of those through San Francisco, but OK.  When we got loaded and out on the road, we soon realized that the truck was getting 4 MPG.  That's right, 4.  I immediately called the U-Haul 800 number and some gal told me that 4 MPG was pretty standard, and that I should be happy we got a truck since the Bay Area was one of their hottest markets.  We kept going and got to Bakersfield, where I checked the mileage again and wow, 3 &#*$##@ MPG.  We called U-Haul again and went round and round for a while and they finally said that we should go to the U-Haul in Bakersfield, where they'd check the truck out and maybe give it a tuneup.  When we went in their head mechanic started to give us a line about how those trucks didn't get the same kind of mileage as a car, but when I told up how far we were going and what kind of  MPG we were getting, he started trying to find us another truck.  I'm pretty sure he was embarrassed.  So we ended up with an 18 foot truck after all, which we had to re-load ourselves.  The new truck got 11 MPG, and did you ever think that 11 MPG would be a cause for rejoicing?  Trust me, it was.  Somewhere in our drive, we stopped to get gas and there wwas a guy driving a shiny new Penske truck and because I'm a glutton for punishment I went over to talk to them about it.  I don't recall how much he told me he paid for it, but it was less than half what I paid for the U-Haul, his truck was new, and he had in no way been screwed over.  So based on my experience, don't use U-Haul.  Use Penske, or at least look into other one-way truck rental options.

James

Jamisjockey

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 07:37:47 AM »
Quote from: Otherguy Overby
Before you call PODS and find out how expensive they are, call some movers and find out how expensive they are.

Anyway, another thing to try if you have something to tow with is a race car trailer.  Mine is 26 feet long on the floor inside and I can get quite a bit of furniture in it.  Just watch your tongue weight.  I've moved several times using car trailers.
That does me no good.  I don't have a tow vehicle, nor a race car trailer.
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 07:41:34 AM »
Use Penske, or at least look into other one-way truck rental options.

James
I kinda use U-haul as the canary.  I always check them first, because the others are usually cheaper.  I've used them twice, penske twice, budget once.  My last experience with Uhaul was similar to your problem, they wouldn't gaurantee me a truck for the timeframe I needed (local one day move).  I needed to pick it up on a friday night drop off saturday afternoon.  Given thier crappy reservations system I likely won't use them ever again.
JD

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Cross country movers
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 08:03:39 AM »
Purely anecdotal evidence, but back in my early twenties when I had to move from South Carolina to Virginia, my company paid for it, and the movers they hired (Wheaton) were about as openly criminal as you could possibly imagine.  The crew was a driver and two packers, and the packers just about wet themselves with glee when they found out I had guns.  Then when they found out that the guns were going with me in my car, suddenly they were all glum about it.  Wonder what my chances would have been of ever seeing my Winchester again...

Also, when I went over the loading manifest, I noticed that my computer, my stereo amp, and my DVD player weren't shown on the manifest at all.  The driver told me that probably those things had been packed in boxes with other stuff, and just hadn't been listed (a pure honest oversight, sir).  I refused to sign the manifest until we located those items (which were about the most expensive things I owned at the time, except for perhaps the Winchester).  He shuffled his feet and said that we'd probably have to unpack a lot of boxes to find it all, and that could take hours, and...and...and.  I told him that his fricking truck wasn't moving until I knew where my stuff was.  So he opened the back.

And, Gosh-n-golly, Captain Midnight!
There in the back of the truck was a box.
An unlabeled box.
A heavy unlabeled box.
With no markings of any kind that might indicate what was in it.
And it was right next to the back door of the truck.
I suggested that (since it was the closest box to us, and all) we start looking there and work our way toward the front of the truck.

After a certain further amount of foot-shuffling and aw-come-on-ing from the driver, while the packers whistled their way nonchalantly up to the cab, we opened that box, and the driver was shocked -- shocked -- to see that all of my expensive electronics had managed to gravitate to this one particular box.  Gosh, sir, I really don't know what to tell you; I can't reckon how that would have happened.

If I hadn't had a new job in another state starting in about two days, I'd have told them to unload all of my crap and leave.  As it was, I (naively thinking that I'd solved the problem) got all of those items listed on the manifest, and sent them on their way.

And when the truck arrived at my new place in VA, oops, what a dang shame, sir, that box looks like it got a bit...dropped.  So sorry.

Wheaton's insurance made good on the computer and stereo and dvd player, so I guess the company itself isn't beyond redemption, but they sure have some interesting people on the front lines.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

TarpleyG

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 10:11:37 AM »
One thing, though:  Please, please, please Do Not use U-Haul.  We originally reserved an 18 foot truck about a month before our move, but the U-Haul place called us the day before we were supposed to pick it up and said that they didn't have any 18 foot trucks
We had some stuff left over after we loaded the POD to hold us over for a week before we actually moved (PODS takes a week to get to the destination)--couch, TV, some clothes, etc.

I had reserved a 4x8 trailer to pick up the Friday we were closing so that I could transport all the leftovers to NC.  Guess what?  Thursday night I get a call stating they did not, and may not get, ANY enclosed trailers for my reservation and after my bellowing essentially told me I was SOL.\

Screw me once (2000), shame on you.  Screw me twice (2006) shame on me.  U-haul won't ever see another penny from me.  I ended up loading what I could, including the 8' long sofa bed, into my 6' truck bed (6' w/ the tailgate down mind you) and leaving the stuff I couldn't get at my neighbors to get later.  Way I figure it, U-haul owes ME money for their little shenanigan.

Greg

BozemanMT

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 03:52:17 PM »
I've moved myself I don't know how many times and well, they all sucked and I was exhausted for weeks.  Last time, I paid about $800 more to have it moved.  I packed it all, (and moved guns, ammo and tools on my own) and it was worth every dime.  I used Mergenthaler of Montana.  By the time I got done with gas, it would have cost more.  And yeah, I think we got about 5mpg, plus of course you are following ht eother car bored to tears getting crappy mileage.  Back when gas was 1.50 it was $100 every 200 miles.  i about died.  

Hire them, move the heavy and valuable stuff on your own, move on your life.
Even if they steal EVERYTHING.
it's just stuff, it can all be replaced.  (except hte valuables and pictures and such which i just told you to move on your own)

Actually, I keep threatening and not following through to sell everything and just buy new stuff at the new place.
That might actually be a better idea.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Jamisjockey

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 04:33:48 PM »
The temptation is to possibly split the move.  Pay movers to move most of the furniture, some household goods we can do without.  Rent smaller truck, tow 1 vehicle, dad drives other vehicle, wife and kiddies go one way on aeroplane (sucks to be her).  
Typical .gov....hurry up, wait, rumor mill, supervisor don't know chit.  We'll see.....
JD

Waitone

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 10:17:40 PM »
Look through your possessions from the last move.  If it ain't been opened or used, throw it out.  Move garbage is far more expensive than landfilling it.  I second the DIY move IF AND ONLY IF you have muscular beef at each end.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 08:54:33 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
Well you could buy a used car trailer and sell it at your destination.

For example:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=241165&cat=101&lpid=1
24 foot enclosed trailer in Utah for 3K.

They are good for storage and WAY cheaper than a POD.  They've even got wheels to move them around on.

For what commercial moving costs, I'd rather buy a truck and/or trailer, drive it myself, and then sell it at the other end.  I'd rather break my own stuff, thank you.   Smiley
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

Jamisjockey

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006, 01:58:58 PM »
Quote from: Otherguy Overby
Well you could buy a used car trailer and sell it at your destination.

For example:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=241165&cat=101&lpid=1
24 foot enclosed trailer in Utah for 3K.

They are good for storage and WAY cheaper than a POD.  They've even got wheels to move them around on.

For what commercial moving costs, I'd rather buy a truck and/or trailer, drive it myself, and then sell it at the other end.  I'd rather break my own stuff, thank you.   Smiley
Can you read?  I DON'T HAVE A DAMN TOW VEHICLE.  I POSTED THAT THE FIRST TIME YOU MENTIONED YOUR IDEA.  And purchasing a truck is a ludicrious idea.  To get something reliable enough to trust, I'd have to spend a pretty hefty initial investment.  And so what if I can maybe recoop it when I get there?  I'd be out that money in the meantime. What if the damn market in VA for trailers or trucks is soft?  Then I'm sitting on something I didn't want in the first place.

I'm getting a little torqued about this whole thread, too.  
ALL I WANT IS ADVICE ON PICKING MOVERS, AND ANY RECOMMENDATIONS, POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE, ON MOVING COMPANIES THAT SOME OF YOU MAY HAVE USED IN THE PAST.
I'VE MOVED MYSELF A FEW TIMES, LOCALLY AND CROSS COUNTRY.  THAT IS CERTAINLY A FREAKING OPTION.  I KNOW THIS.  
Anyone used a god damn moving company?  If so, tell me the good, bad, ugly.  Name names.
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 04:27:28 PM »
Quote from: Waitone
Look through your possessions from the last move.  If it ain't been opened or used, throw it out.  Move garbage is far more expensive than landfilling it.  I second the DIY move IF AND ONLY IF you have muscular beef at each end.
There is alot of stuff that we do use that ain't going with:
Spare bed
Futon with 8" mattress
Small entertainment center (10 year old sauer jobbie)
spare tv (10 years old....we still might keep it though)
bookcase ($10 thriftstore find)
4 drawer dresser ($5 at the thriftstore, $5 in white paint, $3 in gold spraypaint for the hardware)
And probably some other miscellaneous stuff.
Once the wife gets some moving quotes we'll go from there.  I'm going to try sticking with namebrand movers (Mayflower, etc) and see where that gets me.  No fly by night jobbies for me.
I have a friend with a local company, and he could send me a couple monkeys to load the truck for not much coin, at the other end I'll have my Dad and SO's best friend's hubby.
BTW my preference is to move it myself, but with the right bid from a moving company I'll certainly reconsider.
Right now I'm in standby to standby mode.  My manager gave me a bunch of what-ifs that certainly sounded like I'm getting a new 'release' date, as soon as this fall.....
JD

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 04:35:22 PM »
Can you read?  I DON'T HAVE A DAMN TOW VEHICLE.  I POSTED THAT THE FIRST TIME YOU MENTIONED YOUR IDEA.  And purchasing a truck is a ludicrious idea.  To get something reliable enough to trust, I'd have to spend a pretty hefty initial investment.  And so what if I can maybe recoop it when I get there?  I'd be out that money in the meantime. What if the damn market in VA for trailers or trucks is soft?  Then I'm sitting on something I didn't want in the first place.
Rented trucks are tow vehicles.

I'm getting a little torqued about this whole thread, too.  
ALL I WANT IS ADVICE ON PICKING MOVERS, AND ANY RECOMMENDATIONS, POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE, ON MOVING COMPANIES THAT SOME OF YOU MAY HAVE USED IN THE PAST.
I'VE MOVED MYSELF A FEW TIMES, LOCALLY AND CROSS COUNTRY.  THAT IS CERTAINLY A FREAKING OPTION.  I KNOW THIS.  
Anyone used a god damn moving company?  If so, tell me the good, bad, ugly.  Name names.
Your annoyance is obvious to me.  However what's also obvious is NO ONE has anything good to say about movers.  So far all our recommendations are to avoid movers.  Sorry.
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

BozemanMT

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006, 03:57:41 AM »
I had really good luck with my mover and said so (Mergenthaler of Bozeman MT).  Moving yourself sucks.
Anyway, one thing to note is that big name companies (mayflower, etc) just rent/lease/something their name, every moving company is it's own company.
The real trick is to show the estimater EVERYTHING, they are pretty good at it, but you can't hide stuff, because the weight will come out over what you estimated.  Some of them take Credit cards, and that's the way to go,then you don't have to have 1000's in cash at the end site.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

mtnbkr

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2006, 04:12:11 AM »
However what's also obvious is NO ONE has anything good to say about movers
I haven't had anything to say about movers because the half dozen or so times we've used them, it was in conjunction with a corporate transfer and the move was mostly managed by the relocation company.  Every time but once, the move went smoothly (including our stuff being there before we got there).  The one time it didn't, all issues were handled quickly and to our satisfaction.  

That time, it was mostly some broken stuff from not being packed carefully and them being a few hours late to the new house.  The broken stuff was replaced or repaired (in the case of some antique furniture).  We filed a report to their insurance company, was cut a check, and replaced the stuff ourselves or found our own furntire repair guy.  To this day, you can't tell that the antique furniture had ever been damaged.  I know exactly what pieces were damaged and the nature of the damage, but I couldn't point out the location of said damage.

Personally, before I moved myself that far, I'd hire a company.  Just be ready to micromanage the packing (insist they use proper boxes, etc for things like your matresses and boxsprings, for example) and moving aspect and get ready to fight (with lawyer if necessary) if something goes wrong.  Get everything in writing.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
Cross country movers
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2006, 05:55:47 AM »
Chris:
Thanks, good tips in there.  We did a DIY move from Beaumont, TX to SLC....about 1800 miles IIRC.  We did that in two full days of driving.  SLC to NoVa appears to be about 2300 miles.

Otherguy:
I'm not risking any amount of money in a trailer that I'd want back at the end of the trip.  Renting a truck to tow a trailer that I might get some money back on is a risky bet, IMHO.

Brokenpaw:
That's one of my worries.  If we hire movers, I want to pack the stuff ourselves, thatway they don't know what's in any of the boxes anyhow.  I've actually got the wife mostly convinced of a DIY move.
JD