Author Topic: Adbe PDF/Distiller question...  (Read 1364 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Adbe PDF/Distiller question...
« on: May 10, 2006, 07:04:52 AM »
I'm running into a problem with documents created in Adobe PDF 6.0 throwing an error on our Linux boxes. It's not a big error, it just says that some of 6.0's features may not be available.

My predecessor here apparently had a setting on her version of 6.0 that allowed her to save the documents created in 6.0 as Acrobat 5.x versions, which eliminated this error message.

I've been working on it for several hours, and haven't been able to figure it out.

Anyone run into this before, and more importantly, know what settings I need to change?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 08:20:52 AM »
theres a pop up in the save as window that lets you downgrade the version

i save mine as 4.0
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 08:55:42 AM »
Harold,

OK, I'm not getting anything like that.

Are you getting that when you print from distiller?

Can you run me through the process you use?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 09:52:07 AM »
I use Version 7.0 and I can change the output by opening the settings, then choose edit pdf settings and there is a scroll down menu that lets you change the output version. I wonder if 6.0 has something similar.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 10:23:16 AM »
OK, I'm not finding anything that will allow me to change the output type, and Adobe help is worse than Microsoft help.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 10:28:54 AM »
are you opening up the distiller program or acrobat package? Mine directions are if I open up distiller only. Maybe 7.0 is way different.

C

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 10:30:55 AM »
Both, but the key seems to reside in Distiller...

When I go to edit pdf settings in Distiller, I get a compatibility check list, and 5.0 is selected on it, but it's not saving the document with 5.0 attributes when you check the document information in the created pdf.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 10:51:17 AM »
I'm clueless there, I wonder if you uninstall it, then reinstall it, might be a bug or piece of code screwy in the program.

C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 11:05:50 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 08:05:15 AM »
Thanks, guys, I've gotten the worst of the problems sorted out.

It involved having the IT guys come load a bunch of new software and some patches for software I've got.

Of course, now I have other problems not related to the initial set of problems...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 08:13:37 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Of course, now I have other problems not related to the initial set of problems...
Eat too much cheese?

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 08:48:19 AM »
No, the new problem is that I can't make PDFs from Word.

I click on the PDF mode, and it launches spell check.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 08:55:04 AM »
No, the new problem is that I can't make PDFs from Word.
You may get lucky and have your IT guys find a quick fix for that, but I've run into similar problems during Adobe updates, and most of the time the only sure solution was to uninstall Adobe and Word, then reinstall Word, then reinstall Adobe. If you do anything out of Excel, you might want to check status there. Sometimes this crap propogates through MS Office components.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 09:07:06 AM »
I have had to do the same thing Ben did in the similar problem. Adobe updates are more a PITA than MS updates.

C

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 09:31:15 AM »
The only thing that was updated was Word, but that's the first thing that crossed my mind, as well -- uninstall and clean slate it.