Author Topic: Adventures in an alternate computing reality  (Read 730 times)

Iain

• friend
Adventures in an alternate computing reality
« on: May 10, 2006, 01:17:57 PM »
Some may recall that a while back I wrestled fruitlessly with an ancient laptop, tried to install Ubuntu (a linux distro) and it never quite worked. Combination of it being a laptop and it being ancient I think. Well, the other day I decided to reformat the main PC and set-up a dual boot system, the options being Ubuntu and XP.

Things what I have learned: When you know perfectly well that linux uses ext3 don't be surprised to find that when you formatted the wrong partition to FAT32 linux is installed in the partition you didn't want it to be in and you've got to start over again. Also don't be surprised when people look at you blankly.

Someone I read a post by said that Ubuntu isn't for noobs, but it is for determined noobs. I guess you can count me in that category, I'd never used a command line prompt and yet right now I'm writing this post from Ubuntu, after having eventually got my widescreen resolution working, got my wireless card working, after mounting my windows partition and then double-checking that the little XP program I got can actually write and read to ext3. I've also enabled dvd and mp3 playback and right now I'm pretty smug.

But then again if I can do it you can do it quicker. I really am impressed with this OS, apart from the odd game I have no real need to use XP. When the next Ubuntu version comes out with stable NTFS read/write support I'll be even happier.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 05:09:52 AM »
How ancient is the laptop?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Iain

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 06:46:46 AM »
1999. 433mhz Celeron, 96mb RAM, 4gb hdd. I put win98 back on it, but now the desktop is properly repaired and stable the laptop will probably be forgotten about again. Found the receipt a while back. Not funny. The issues with Ubuntu was that it lacked RAM and I couldn't get the wireless PCMCIA card to work to try and install fluxbox or XFCE or similar.

If anyone has any bright ideas as to why XP is now taking three times as long to boot since I installed Ubuntu I'd be grateful. Not terribly bothered, but it is slow. In fact if I boot to XP and then out and then back to XP it is quicker the second time. Ubuntu is similar but the XP to Ubuntu boot is nowhere near as slow as the Ubuntu to XP.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also