Author Topic: Fluorescent Bulbs  (Read 1352 times)

bratch

• friend
Fluorescent Bulbs
« on: May 10, 2006, 07:57:08 PM »
Are the fluorescent bulbs worth the extra cash?  Are the savings real and do they actually have a 5 year life?

chaim

• friend
    • http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
Fluorescent Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 09:30:44 PM »
I bought an "electronic" light bulb that looked like fluorescent about 8 years ago, it finally died about 6 months ago despite heavy use.  I bought one of the top of the line bulbs though.

My parents have had some of the cheaper fluorescents that they've had to replace only a little less often than incandescent.

I bought a fluorescent (not the cheapest or most expensive) when my "electronic" bulb went out.  Jury's still out- still going well, but then I'd probably only have replaced an incandescent once or twice since then.

I'm guessing the quality and price on these are very corrolated...buy the better ones and you'll probably be OK.
Come visit my MSN Group: Taurus Talk
http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Fluorescent Bulbs
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 12:18:57 AM »
All I know is I can never see very well in areas lit by those things.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

brimic

• friends
Fluorescent Bulbs
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 01:48:46 AM »
All I know is I can never see very well in areas lit by those things.
I've noticed that too. They seem very bright without giving off much light, if that makes any sense.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Declaration Day

• friends
Fluorescent Bulbs
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 02:22:03 AM »
I use them throughout my house.  I think the ones I have are GE.  Don't know about five years, but I've had them in for two and have yet to replace one.  They give off plenty of light for me, and have lowered my electric bill significantly.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Fluorescent Bulbs
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 02:25:05 AM »
I may be wrong but it seems to me they put out more of a yellowish light than a blue light. I think that's why I have trouble with them. I'd say try a couple and see what you think before replacing them all?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Fluorescent Bulbs
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 04:02:44 AM »
Different light tempeatures are available. Don't mix 'em in a room (except maybe for a reading light), or it'll drive you nuts. I use nothing but CF unless I need a dimmer circuit. I also have one circular lamp fixture that gets occasional use that was installed in 1978, and has been through six moves.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Fluorescent Bulbs
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 04:21:46 AM »
Yes, different color temps can make a big difference. For instance, you don't want the bulbs that come with $19.99 shop lamps in your kitchen. My kitchen has recessed flourescent fixtures. The last time I replaced a tube was 1999, and because of my kitchen location, the lights are on there most of the day.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Fluorescent Bulbs
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 05:03:29 AM »
If you want weird light, you should try working under color neutral fluorescent lights.

We used them at NRA in the art studios; the same at Navy Federal. The light they cast gives you a true read on color for working with photos, art, and layout.

Most ungodly weird light you'v ever seen.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.