Author Topic: Possible scandal involving Rep. Jane Harman, Alberto Gonzales and AIPAC  (Read 7039 times)

wquay

I've seen this story on a few sites, but it's not getting much traction with the MSM. Hopefully we'll see an investigation, if not charges against Harman. And if Gonzales really pulled the investigation so that Harman could shill for the administration, then he deserves prosecution as well.

Rep. Jane Harman , the California Democrat with a longtime involvement in intelligence issues, was overheard on an NSA wiretap telling a suspected Israeli agent that she would lobby the Justice Department to reduce espionage-related charges against two officials of the American Israeli Public Affairs Committee, the most powerful pro-Israel organization in Washington.

Harman was recorded saying she would “waddle into” the AIPAC case “if you think it’ll make a difference,” according to two former senior national security officials familiar with the NSA transcript.

In exchange for Harman’s help, the sources said, the suspected Israeli agent pledged to help lobby Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., then-House minority leader, to appoint Harman chair of the Intelligence Committee after the 2006 elections, which the Democrats were heavily favored to win.

Seemingly wary of what she had just agreed to, according to an official who read the NSA transcript, Harman hung up after saying, “This conversation doesn’t exist.”

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/04/20/harman/

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
I've seen this story on a few sites, but it's not getting much traction with the MSM. Hopefully we'll see an investigation, if not charges against Harman. And if Gonzales really pulled the investigation so that Harman could shill for the administration, then he deserves prosecution as well.

Harman was recorded using dubious NSA wiretapping, but was let go so she could continue to argue for more dubious NSA wiretapping.  The irony, oh Gods, the irony.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

agricola

• friend
A foriegn government suborns a member of the House of Representatives in order to influence criminal investigation into its espionage operations by trying to get her promoted to some kind of oversight role?  One wonders why that isnt the leading item on every news network... oh wait, now I see who the foriegn government was, carry on.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 10:47:20 AM by agricola »
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Pretty damned disgusting.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sergeant Bob

• friend
I am of the opinion that most all politicians are dirty, from the smallest town all the way to the top.
That is the reason most of them aren't rotting in a prison cell.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
A foriegn government suborns a member of the House of Representatives in order to influence criminal investigation into its espionage operations by trying to get her promoted to some kind of oversight role?  One wonders why that isnt the leading item on every news network... oh wait, now I see who the foriegn government was, carry on.

You really don't like Jews, do you Agricola?

In any case, does the NSA spend a lot of time wire-tapping poli-critters?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

agricola

• friend
You really don't like Jews, do you Agricola?

Sorry, what? 

This is an allegation that a foriegn government, via a lobby group, tried to (and may well have obtained) influence one of your elected representatives in order to get them to interfere with a criminal investigation into espionage carried out by that foriegn government.  If this was any other foriegn government there would be jail time and severe consequences for the individual concerned at the very least. 

Of course, to point this out means that I am an anti-semite.  Hurrah for logic!

Quote from: Balog
In any case, does the NSA spend a lot of time wire-tapping poli-critters?

That remains to be seen, but one imagines that they do wiretap foriegn intelligence agents.  That could well be how they got the recording.
"Make peace, you fools"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

agricola

• friend
"Make peace, you fools"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
I was basing it on your pattern of behaviour from several threads about Palestine.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

agricola

• friend
Re: Possible scandal involving Rep. Jane Harman, Alberto Gonzales and AIPAC
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 09:29:20 PM »
I was basing it on your pattern of behaviour from several threads about Palestine.

I think you need to note the difference between "Jews" and "the actions of the state of Israel".   
"Make peace, you fools"

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 09:50:13 PM »
Which is what should happen - those people are traitors, after all.

my dad summed it up best about pollard and john walker
a walk and a bullet in the back of the head
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 09:51:29 PM »
oh and especially hansen the fbi agent  he earned a death sentence more than anyone

agricola

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 09:57:46 PM »
oh and especially hansen the fbi agent  he earned a death sentence more than anyone

Well exactly.  Imagine the uproar if Putin or Medvedev turned up in Washington and seriously agitated for Hansen's release, comparing him to Russian soldiers kidnapped by terrorist groups. 
"Make peace, you fools"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 10:01:26 PM »
Lemme see if I got this right.  NSA intercepts a foreign national (legit) talking to a US legislator in which the legislator is asked to intervene in the ongoing legal woes of two Israeli advocates (nationality not disclosed).  In exchange said legislator is asking the foreign national to intercede with the House Speaker so the legislator can get an important committee assignment.  That about right?

Yeah, Harmon is flirting with being dirty.  But one question just screams to be asked.  What makes the foreign national think he or she has enough clout to influence the House Speaker 's decision on legislative appointments.   Seems to me NSA should be wiggling its ears in the direction of the House Speaker.  Seems to me Harmon is in a pretty weak position while the House Speaker has just about all the cards in her hand.

Just thinkin'.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 10:22:31 PM »
my dad summed it up best about pollard and john walker
a walk and a bullet in the back of the head

That works for me.  Might even piss on their corpses.  Hansesn's, too.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 10:23:50 PM »
hansens more than the others