Author Topic: An interesting, and harsh, review of Serenity  (Read 3017 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
An interesting, and harsh, review of Serenity
« on: April 18, 2008, 07:06:54 PM »
No, he doesn't rip Serenity for being a racist or sexist diatribe.  He does think that if Whedon knew what he was doing, he would have made the film more "accessible."

http://www.filmjerk.com/reviews/article.php?id_rev=660

Your thoughts? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: An interesting, and harsh, review of Serenity
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 07:54:15 PM »
I'm not going to read it atm because I'm going to bed, but I did skim a bit.

I respect Whedon a GREAT deal for continuing the story.  I've seen so many TV shows made into films that were "just another episode" that I could scream.  He tried to do a series, got cut off, and finished it up in the movie.  Yet he did the movie pretty well from a new viewer's perspective, I thought.  I saw the movie first, and maybe I'm just way more intelligent than the reviewer, but I had zero trouble understanding what was going on.  Of course I was a little foggy about the past, but it was easy enough to gather the basics.

Based on his viewpoint, you could complain that Firefly (Or any TV show or movie) didn't start at the births of every character.
"But it doesn't SHOW why Mal is called Mal instead of Malcom...or why he's even Malcom in the first place.  BIG "HUH" MOMENT.

The man did a good job on the movie...why do people always try so hard to hate a good thing when there's so much crap out there that's easy to hate?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 07:58:17 PM »
Maybe Joss Whedon didn't really care if the film was a critical success or if non Firefly fans could follow along. Maybe he simply made the film he wanted to make and damn what anyone thought about it.
In order to make something which everyone could follow would require a lot more character development and more time than non fans would be willing to sit through anyway.

Either way, he loses.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 07:59:44 PM »
First rule of a good narrative is "show, don't tell."

When we get dropped into Alien, do we get a twenty-minute explanation of the back story of the crew, the charter of the intergalactic corporation that owns the ship, and precise coordinates? No. Does that make it any less accessible?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 08:15:43 PM »
An exceptionally bad review.  The author reveals his bias with his repeated references to Firefly as the "failed" series.  Then, he claims that the average viewer of Serenity who has never seen Firefly will not get it. 

Well, the average viewer is much smarter than that reviewer.  I've read hundreds of reviews by Firefly viewers on Amazon, NetFlix, and IMDB, and maybe the number one theme is the number of folks who saw Serenity on television, became intrigued, and then discovered the Firefly tv series.  (The number two theme might be the number who were given the Firefly DVD set by a friend, let it set on a shelf for six months because it didn't sound good, and then one day gave it a try and watched all 14 episodes in one or two days  laugh ) .

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 09:33:18 PM »
I saw the movie before I saw the TV series.  I sure as hell didn't have any trouble keeping up.  I think this guy is just a bit touched in the head, so to speak...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 03:45:41 AM »
The only fault I have with the film is that he made a mistake writing Mal at two points.

Based on the series, especially the episodes where he walked in and shot the guy holding Kalyee hostage in the head without hestitating, and when he kicked the guy into the engine after the threat to follow him...

...Mal would NOT have left the obviously dangerous and body-armor-wearing Operative alive after Inara's incense stun grenade knocked him out. He would have gone for a headshot, then left. So would I.

Then, later, when he pins him down with fire, he doesn't run up and go for the headshot even though he's just behind a crate, he turns, and leaves himself open for attack.

A wounded tiger is more dangerous. You don't leave it and turn your back. Those were detracting writing errors to me, otherwise I really liked the movie.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 03:55:05 AM »
Hrm...maybe the first opportunity, he just didn't want to kill an operative...probably get him in even MORE trouble?  Maybe.

And as for the second, I think he was really fixated on showing him that new world he wanted so bad.

But if it were me... Cheesy
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 04:11:52 AM »
Hrm...maybe the first opportunity, he just didn't want to kill an operative...probably get him in even MORE trouble?  Maybe.

And as for the second, I think he was really fixated on showing him that new world he wanted so bad.

He let him live, after he was an obvious threat. He was, he then went and killed everyone Mal knew, including Book.

I think he dropped the ball on Mal's character as previously written, at that point. Not the same character. A cynical veteran of a losing war who had been previously shown coolly and wisely eliminating what would be persistent threats would, I think, have shot him in the head before leaving.

It was for the sake of the plot, but that made the plot fall down for me.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 08:33:53 AM »
First rule of a good narrative is "show, don't tell."

When we get dropped into Alien, do we get a twenty-minute explanation of the back story of the crew, the charter of the intergalactic corporation that owns the ship, and precise coordinates? No. Does that make it any less accessible?

Damn straight. 

Seeing a character's or real person's character in action is much more convinicing than a dry back story.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 08:39:52 AM »

He let him live, after he was an obvious threat. He was, he then went and killed everyone Mal knew, including Book.

I think he dropped the ball on Mal's character as previously written, at that point. Not the same character. A cynical veteran of a losing war who had been previously shown coolly and wisely eliminating what would be persistent threats would, I think, have shot him in the head before leaving.

It was for the sake of the plot, but that made the plot fall down for me.

I gotta side with MW on this one.  A stunned operative who has shown the talents he did was the perfect opportunity for the teevee Mal to kill him and then go on & face consequences later.  Just like the old "minion in the engine" and then "captured by minion's boss" later.

That is one thing I liked about teevee Mal: practical and understanding of current demands.

For the sake of plot, I am sure there is more than one operative in the employ of the Alliance.  Heck, The Operative could have been a genetically engineered passel of clones if'n they wanted to use the same actor and a "Didn't I kill you already?" reaction from Mal.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 09:02:56 AM »
For the sake of plot, I am sure there is more than one operative in the employ of the Alliance.  Heck, The Operative could have been a genetically engineered passel of clones if'n they wanted to use the same actor and a "Didn't I kill you already?" reaction from Mal. 

That makes a lot of sense, actually.  Why try to hide or change or erase a man's identity, when you can just grow him in a lab, and never give him a Birth Certificate?  And no one will ever recognize him from high school. 

I was also annoyed that Mal didn't finish the job, before he climbed out to that generator/computer platform thing.  But the failure to kill him at the training house was understandable.  He had just been thrashed, his eyes and ears must have been ringing from the explosion, Alliance goons were about to come down on him, and his last attempt to kill the Operative had been futile.  It was time to clear out without further ado. 

I was just delighted to see Mal shoot him as swiftly as he did, that first time.  Most movies would have had the Op draw his hidden gun, and then the two would have spoken at some length, as if an aimed gun is just an idle threat, rather than a clear and present danger to be eliminated toot sweet. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 03:28:10 PM »
It's been a couple of years since I watched it last, but I assumed that Mal was shocked by the explosion and they had to use that moment to escape from the room before the bad guys came storming in (as they did).
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 08:20:41 AM »
I agree, I'd have shot him at the first opportunity, just trying to figure Mal out...
I agree with the training house theory, all the grunts about to rush in, etc.