Author Topic: An interesting woman...and concept(s).  (Read 3201 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: An interesting woman...and concept(s).
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »
That NatGeo Doomsday Prepper show had a Texas couple on once that made some kind of shipping container fortress. They basically formed a bunch of them into a square to create a protected courtyard. I can't remember if they placed containers side by side to create a "doublewide", but I'm thinking they did. Unless they got a great deal on the containers, that must have cost a pretty penny.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: An interesting woman...and concept(s).
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 10:18:17 AM »
Yup.

Which is why the best shipping container home would be covered with/sunk into earth up to the top, with skylights in the roof and decent roof insulation on top.

Which won't work, because only the frame and stacking points are structural. Ground weight/Ground heave will cave the sheet metal sides in, despite the corrugation they have, which mainly adds just a bit more vertical strength.

The amount of reinforcement a shipping container needs to be buried safely is even more work than it takes to insulate one above ground.
I promise not to duck.