Author Topic: An observation on the APS community  (Read 5331 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
An observation on the APS community
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:45:16 AM »
This forum is, on many issues, most certainly not an echo chamber. We disagree (sometimes pretty vehemently) on various things.

Perusing the comments sections of articles, I routinely am struck by just how civil we are with one another compared to the rest of the world.

Even when we're total aholes to each other, we're nicer than most everyone else.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: An observation on the APS community
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 01:45:08 AM »
Hear, hear.
*golf clap*
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 01:46:52 AM »
APS is a rarity. There's forums like ARFCom where people are rude and obnoxious, but that's not the worst one. There's one I belong to where people are just plain mean. Newcomers get jumped on as soon as they post, and the language used would give Art's grammaw a heart attack.

I've told them about a place like APS, but they don't believe me.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 01:53:39 AM »
APS is a rarity. There's forums like ARFCom where people are rude and obnoxious, but that's not the worst one. There's one I belong to where people are just plain mean. Newcomers get jumped on as soon as they post, and the language used would give Art's grammaw a heart attack.

I've told them about a place like APS, but they don't believe me.

SHHHHHH. Don't tell them!
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 04:57:57 AM »
Doesn't mean we couldn't do better. The closer we get to elections the more I self ban myself from polyticks so as not to sound like some of the other deliberately obtuse, argumentative, and insulting posters. And I don't always succeed at that.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 07:41:58 AM »
Doesn't mean we couldn't do better. The closer we get to elections the more I self ban myself from polyticks so as not to sound like some of the other deliberately obtuse, argumentative, and insulting posters. And I don't always succeed at that.

I think the overall level of civility here has dropped significantly over time, and it seems to be a function of certain participants.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 09:51:01 AM »
This forum is, on many issues, most certainly not an echo chamber. We disagree (sometimes pretty vehemently) on various things.

Perusing the comments sections of articles, I routinely am struck by just how civil we are with one another compared to the rest of the world.

Even when we're total aholes to each other, we're nicer than most everyone else.

To you Sir, a toast.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 09:55:45 AM »
One is more generally persuasive when polite.  The other party is then free to listen rather than react to objectionable language.

I have a rule for myself based on the idea that some employers search the Internet to learn the character of prospective employees. My rule? Don't say anything that would rule one out of being considered for a job. Of course my being pro-2A and right wing politically can be seen as negatives.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 11:41:46 AM »

Indeed. I know I have been part of the problem in the past, so now I try hard to either just ignore those that consistently troll or just avoid the topic altogether. Or go and yell at people on arfcom, that's a good stress reliever as well.  ;)

Like you said it doesn't always work so well for me, but there is still some progress. As we get closer to 2016 things will take their inevitable dip I would imagine.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 05:41:08 PM »
I think the overall level of civility here has dropped significantly over time, and it seems to be a function of certain participants.

If you think someone is being out of line, just let one of the mods know.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 06:15:23 PM »

Monkeyleg never did give me those moccasins.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 07:19:01 PM »
I wonder how much of that is real attitude and issues, and how much is joking and ribbing read wrong.

I do agree that APS is probably one of the nicest places online, in terms of polite behavior, especially considering the topics under discussion. I also like the fact that the behavior is more self-inposed by the participants then forced by the moderators. It allows for much more freedom of expression and it keeps it feeling like a conversation among adults.

We may not all like each other, but we (mostly) respect each other.
I also really like that while you and another poster may be vehnimently opposed to each other in one thread, you can cut up and joke around with each other in another. There are very few grudges held between posters and there has always been the attitude of disagreeing on a specific opinion rather then just hating on everyone that disagrees with you forever and ever.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 07:29:12 PM »
I will add that over most other online forums a lot of our members have actually met in person and share a multitude of interests other than the 2nd Amendment.

I like to think in a lot of ways we are one huge dysfunctional family, Brothers, Sisters, Aunts, Uncles...etc.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 07:33:12 PM »
Monkeyleg never did give me those moccasins.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 07:36:59 PM »
I wonder how much of that is real attitude and issues, and how much is joking and ribbing read wrong.

I do agree that APS is probably one of the nicest places online, in terms of polite behavior, especially considering the topics under discussion. I also like the fact that the behavior is more self-inposed by the participants then forced by the moderators. It allows for much more freedom of expression and it keeps it feeling like a conversation among adults.

We may not all like each other, but we (mostly) respect each other.
I also really like that while you and another poster may be vehnimently opposed to each other in one thread, you can cut up and joke around with each other in another. There are very few grudges held between posters and there has always been the attitude of disagreeing on a specific opinion rather then just hating on everyone that disagrees with you forever and ever.

You and I are proof of this. I distinctly remember a heated discussion or two between us happening in one thread, while things were all good in another.

Yeah, I'm occasioanlly not always in keeping with the standards of APS... but I try. I'm probably one of the worst, and that says something about the quality of membership here.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »

Bwahahahahaha, good one. I used to believe that was a thing, so I used the report post function. Then a mod told me that I was essentially the only person using the report feature (one of three people to report a post that month iirc). Now I report spambots, and nothing else.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 07:46:18 PM »
You and I are proof of this. I distinctly remember a heated discussion or two between us happening in one thread, while things were all good in another.

Yeah, I'm occasioanlly not always in keeping with the standards of APS... but I try. I'm probably one of the worst, and that says something about the quality of membership here.

Hell, I'm pretty sure I've been in fierce verbal battles with people on one thread and supporting their arguement in another. *chuckles*

Although, I'll shamefully admit that, on my part, some of that may be because I don't always pay attention to who's posting (although I've gotten much better at noting the left side of the screen) and just pay attention to the posts themselves. :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 08:06:24 PM »
I do my best to attack the post/thought and not the person.  If I have an issue with an individual I try to resolve it through a PM.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 08:11:05 PM »
Hell, I'm pretty sure I've been in fierce verbal battles with people on one thread and supporting their arguement in another. *chuckles*

Although, I'll shamefully admit that, on my part, some of that may be because I don't always pay attention to who's posting (although I've gotten much better at noting the left side of the screen) and just pay attention to the posts themselves. :lol:

On a lot of mobile devices when you zoom so the text is big enough to read the left hand section gets cut off, so I had a similar experience.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »
On a lot of mobile devices when you zoom so the text is big enough to read the left hand section gets cut off, so I had a similar experience.

I was actually much worse on the real computer.

I tend to notice the signatures more then the side, so people with a distinctive sigline were the first posters I tended to activly remember. During the name switching fests of old, I tended to only get really messed up when the signatures were changed. The second thing was avatars, and I still have to go back and check a lot if I've responding to a poster who doesn't have one, and when people change those I have "wtf? Who is this!?!" moments until I get used to it.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 08:25:59 PM »

I completely disagree, and you suck :)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 08:27:17 PM »
I do my best to attack the post/thought and not the person.  If I have an issue with an individual I try to resolve it through a PM.

KU got their ass handed to them in the Big 12 Tournament!

Uranus is a gas giant.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »
I completely disagree, and you suck :)

WELL F*&K YOU THEN!

*drops 20 dollar bill*

note to mods: inside joke. Dont banschwerk me
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 08:51:04 PM »
Bwahahahahaha, good one. I used to believe that was a thing, so I used the report post function. Then a mod told me that I was essentially the only person using the report feature (one of three people to report a post that month iirc). Now I report spambots, and nothing else.

Snitches get stitches.  :police:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 08:55:16 PM »

I'll use it every once in a while, if I think the thread in general is going south.  And there are threads I drop out of entirely.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.